K8N-E Delx SATA won't boot, divide overflow problem

If I connect my new WD Raptor 74gig to the SATA port on my K8N-E two
very bad things happen:
-DOS based boot floppy disks (ie Ghost, WD Datalifeguard) cause divide
overflow errors. Same for Windows Ghost when it goes to DOS.
-Raptor won't boot even though BIOS is setup to give it boot priority. I
just get a blinking cursor.

If I remove the drive from the cable, dos floppys boot and function
correctly.

Any ideas?

Robert Moore wrote:
> If I connect my new WD Raptor 74gig to the SATA port on my K8N-E two
> very bad things happen:
> -DOS based boot floppy disks (ie Ghost, WD Datalifeguard) cause divide
> overflow errors. Same for Windows Ghost when it goes to DOS.
> -Raptor won't boot even though BIOS is setup to give it boot priority. I
> just get a blinking cursor.
>
> If I remove the drive from the cable, dos floppys boot and function
> correctly.
>
> Any ideas?

Which Sata Port? Nforce or Sil 3114? And how do you have them set in
Bios? Not enough information.

KLH wrote:
> Robert Moore wrote:
>
>> If I connect my new WD Raptor 74gig to the SATA port on my K8N-E two
>> very bad things happen:
>> -DOS based boot floppy disks (ie Ghost, WD Datalifeguard) cause divide
>> overflow errors. Same for Windows Ghost when it goes to DOS.
>> -Raptor won't boot even though BIOS is setup to give it boot priority.
>> I just get a blinking cursor.
>>
>> If I remove the drive from the cable, dos floppys boot and function
>> correctly.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

> Which Sata Port? Nforce or Sil 3114? And how do you have them set in
> Bios? Not enough information.

I've tried connecting to both main SATA ports (non-RAID) in center of
MOBO with similar lack of success. I guess those would be the Nforce
ports. Windows DOES recognize Raptor and allows me to partition and
format it and I can transfer the boot partition to it from my current C:
drive (IDE 30gig IBM). However, it won't boot from the Raptor (with IDE
disconnected or connected). Also, as stated above, DOS boot floppies
crash out, often "divide overflow" error.

-Bios is set to SATA under "Chipset." Set as drive #1 and primary boot.
-ATI Radeon All in Wonder 9600xt video
-1 gig Corsair ram

Anything else I've left out?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

transfering the boot partition will not set the partition as active. check
the properties to make sure it is. then go to tools, use the format command
and select copy system files only.

"Robert Moore" <nospam@linkline.com> wrote in message
> If I connect my new WD Raptor 74gig to the SATA port on my K8N-E two
> very bad things happen:
> -DOS based boot floppy disks (ie Ghost, WD Datalifeguard) cause divide
> overflow errors. Same for Windows Ghost when it goes to DOS.
> -Raptor won't boot even though BIOS is setup to give it boot priority. I
> just get a blinking cursor.
>
> If I remove the drive from the cable, dos floppys boot and function
> correctly.
>
> Any ideas?

Robert Moore adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear to
write:

> I've tried connecting to both main SATA ports (non-RAID) in center of
> MOBO with similar lack of success. I guess those would be the Nforce
> ports. Windows DOES recognize Raptor and allows me to partition and
> format it and I can transfer the boot partition to it from my current
> C: drive (IDE 30gig IBM). However, it won't boot from the Raptor (with
> IDE disconnected or connected). Also, as stated above, DOS boot
> floppies crash out, often "divide overflow" error.

The divide overflow is an old dos error and is probably because your
machine is much too new, this used to show up with 95 and 98 or even
os/2.

--
Mark
Illegitimi Non Carborundum!

baskitcaise wrote:
> Robert Moore adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear to
> write:
>

>>I've tried connecting to both main SATA ports (non-RAID) in center of
>>MOBO with similar lack of success. I guess those would be the Nforce
>>ports. Windows DOES recognize Raptor and allows me to partition and
>>format it and I can transfer the boot partition to it from my current
>>C: drive (IDE 30gig IBM). However, it won't boot from the Raptor (with
>>IDE disconnected or connected). Also, as stated above, DOS boot
>>floppies crash out, often "divide overflow" error.
>

> The divide overflow is an old dos error and is probably because your
> machine is much too new, this used to show up with 95 and 98 or even
> os/2.

You can often work around this by underclocking - e.g. the DOS driver
for my NIC gets a divide overflow at 133Mhz FSB but works fine at 100Mhz.

P2B

P2B wrote:

> baskitcaise wrote:
>
>> Robert Moore adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear to
>> write:
>>

>>> I've tried connecting to both main SATA ports (non-RAID) in center of
>>> MOBO with similar lack of success. I guess those would be the Nforce
>>> ports. Windows DOES recognize Raptor and allows me to partition and
>>> format it and I can transfer the boot partition to it from my current
>>> C: drive (IDE 30gig IBM). However, it won't boot from the Raptor (with
>>> IDE disconnected or connected). Also, as stated above, DOS boot
>>> floppies crash out, often "divide overflow" error.
>>

>> The divide overflow is an old dos error and is probably because your
>> machine is much too new, this used to show up with 95 and 98 or even
>> os/2.
>

> You can often work around this by underclocking - e.g. the DOS driver
> for my NIC gets a divide overflow at 133Mhz FSB but works fine at 100Mhz.
>
> P2B

I kind of doubt this is the culprit because:
1. GHOST and DataLifeGuard are new programs, new versions.
2. Both programs work perfectly well when the SATA drive is
disconnected, without any need to underclock.

I appreciate the suggestions and will even try the underclocking, but
because the problem only surfaces when the SATA Raptor is connected to
the Nvidia SATA port, I think the problem must have something to do with
the SATA.
RJM

chris wrote:
> transfering the boot partition will not set the partition as active. check
> the properties to make sure it is. then go to tools, use the format command
> and select copy system files only.
>
> "Robert Moore" <nospam@linkline.com> wrote in message
>
>>If I connect my new WD Raptor 74gig to the SATA port on my K8N-E two
>>very bad things happen:
>>-DOS based boot floppy disks (ie Ghost, WD Datalifeguard) cause divide
>>overflow errors. Same for Windows Ghost when it goes to DOS.
>>-Raptor won't boot even though BIOS is setup to give it boot priority. I
>>just get a blinking cursor.
>>
>>If I remove the drive from the cable, dos floppys boot and function
>>correctly.
>>
>>Any ideas?

It IS set to "active". Hmmmmmm.....
RJM

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005

Robert Moore Wrote:
> chris wrote:-
> transfering the boot partition will not set the partition as active.
> check
> the properties to make sure it is. then go to tools, use the format
> command
> and select copy system files only.
>
> "Robert Moore" nospam@linkline.com wrote in message
> -
> If I connect my new WD Raptor 74gig to the SATA port on my K8N-E two
> very bad things happen:
> -DOS based boot floppy disks (ie Ghost, WD Datalifeguard) cause divide
> overflow errors. Same for Windows Ghost when it goes to DOS.
> -Raptor won't boot even though BIOS is setup to give it boot priority.
> just get a blinking cursor.
>
> If I remove the drive from the cable, dos floppys boot and function
> correctly.
>
> Any ideas?--
>
> It IS set to "active". Hmmmmmm.....
> RJM

I believe only windows XP SP1 & SP2 have SATA drivers on the CD. You
will need to download the drivers from the MOBO site and install from a
floppy.

--
Fatcat

Robert Moore wrote:
> If I connect my new WD Raptor 74gig to the SATA port on my K8N-E two
> very bad things happen:
> -DOS based boot floppy disks (ie Ghost, WD Datalifeguard) cause divide
> overflow errors. Same for Windows Ghost when it goes to DOS.
> -Raptor won't boot even though BIOS is setup to give it boot priority. I
> just get a blinking cursor.
>
> If I remove the drive from the cable, dos floppys boot and function
> correctly.
>
> Any ideas?

Thanks for all your input, folks. The HD is running now, but only when I
switched it to the Silicon Image controller, got new IDE drivers from
SilImage, and reinstalled Windows. The NVdia port and drivers still are
a no-go, so it's a mixed victory.
RJM

> Robert Moore wrote:
>> If I connect my new WD Raptor 74gig to the SATA port on my K8N-E two very
>> bad things happen:
>> -DOS based boot floppy disks (ie Ghost, WD Datalifeguard) cause divide
>> overflow errors. Same for Windows Ghost when it goes to DOS.
>> -Raptor won't boot even though BIOS is setup to give it boot priority. I
>> just get a blinking cursor.
>>
>> If I remove the drive from the cable, dos floppys boot and function
>> correctly.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for all your input, folks. The HD is running now, but only when I
> switched it to the Silicon Image controller, got new IDE drivers from
> SilImage, and reinstalled Windows. The NVdia port and drivers still are a
> no-go, so it's a mixed victory.
> RJM

I found that in order to get the Nvidia controller to work in non raid mode
you have to enable the onboard sata port then enable the onboard raid.
Then each device will be listed under the raid controller. Set each one
to disabled if you don't want it in a raid array or yes if you do.
I found this out when I wanted to change from using raid to not.
My drives would show in the bios but they didn't show in windows setup
until I did the above.

Jim M