Sign in with
Your question

Spyware

Last response: in Windows 7
January 24, 2011 12:47:05 PM

Hi,
is there a way to get rid of spyware besides spybot or ca antispyware scan?
Id prefer to not format..

what is the best sw to use to get rid of this crap?

thanks!

More about : spyware

a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2011 12:47:40 PM

Run through the malware guide in my signature.
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2011 4:45:26 PM

Personally, I find that using Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/) is a great counterpart for Windows 7. I've been using it for months and haven't had any problems at all.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team
m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
January 25, 2011 9:46:18 PM

security essentials can't touch these to progs!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2011 10:25:02 PM

MSE is good at protection, but there are better programs for malware removal.

Though, I think w7pro might have a slight biased opinion. :) 
m
l
January 25, 2011 10:49:12 PM

hello everyone,

this a good thread, i've had problems with friends computers and the last one i redid saturday.

i formatted the hard drive, reinstalled windows vista, office, did all the updates.

installed the follow programs

microsoft security essentials
malware bytes
super anti spyware
and
spybot

when wrapping up everything, the pc had done its first update and rebooted and was about half way through the second update, Microsoft security essentials comes up with some possible security problem.

other than copying back over their person files which consisted of some pictures, excel and doc files and a few pdf's nothing else was installed, no internet surfing or anything like that.

perhaps i should have scanned the personal files but i've never heard of anything infecting those types of files and none had been opened so that should have not had an effect.

whats nice about microsoft security essentials (no i would not put my pc's sole security on it) is that it provides real time protection for free.

but i have a feeling even after a hard drive reformat somehow those stupid fake anti virus Trojans and virus put something hidden really really well that a reformat will not take care of.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2011 12:38:59 AM

Yep, should always scan the files before loading them back on.
m
l
!