sound_in_front_panel_with_p5ad2_premium_and_Cmédia

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

hi

I have connect my headphone in front panel and i have sound only in one
side
I have p5ad2 premium with Cmédia !

some1 can help me ?

Tia

Paul

Splendid

In article <mn.22d07d5175208fbc.13446@thx.fr>, id wrote:

> hi
>
> I have connect my headphone in front panel and i have sound only in one
> side
> I have p5ad2 premium with Cmédia !
>
> some1 can help me ?
>
> Tia

The AAFP 2x5 header is not the same as previous FP_AUDIO
headers. There are no return lines, and there are fewer
wires to be connected. For AC97, use Line_out_R, Line_out_L
and the AGND signal, to run headphones. For a microphone,
use MIC2, MICPWR, and AGND. No connections are required
to the other pins on the header. If you have wires left
over, from the front panel, leave them unconnected to
anything.

This is the current version of the Intel I/O spec. Page
21 shows the AC97 definitions.

http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\A2928604.pdf

This is the only copy I can find of the original AC97 header
definition. Notice how Intel just changed a few of the
pin definitions.

http://www.minmaw.com/FPIO_Design_Guideline_final%20v10.pdf

Stick with the Asus pinout information in the manual,
and you should be able to get the headphones working.
If you still cannot get a signal from one of the
channels, you may need to RMA the board under
warranty.

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <mn.2ae57d513c4918a8.13446@thx.fr>, id wrote:

> re
>
> i have connect for HD audio front panel but i have only two jacks
> (pink, green ) in this front panel !
> http://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5AD2/e169_p5ad2premium.pdf
> page 49
>
> the correct connection was ac97 front panel audio pin définition for my
> front panel with 2 jacks ?
>
> tia
>
> PS : it's hard to put wires in this audio pin !!!

Yes, you should be using the AC97 audio pin definition.
Remember to select AC97 definition in the BIOS
"Front Panel Support Type" on page 4-27.

MIC-IN ---------> MIC2 X X AGND <-------- GND
MIC-VCC -------> MICPWR X X NC
EAR-R -----> Line_out_R X X NC
NC X
EAR-L -----> Line_out_L X X NC

There will be an EAR-R and an EAR-L left over and
they should not be connected to anything. Only one
EAR-R and EAR-L need to be connected, and the others
can be left dangling.

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <mn.33167d515693c7e6.13446@thx.fr>, id wrote:

> hi paul
>
> i've connected same at 3.4 of
> http://www.thermaltake.com/support/installguide/chassis/Damier.pdf
> page 12
>
> MIC-IN ---------> MIC2 X X AGND <-------- GND
> MIC-VCC -------> MICPWR X X NC
> EAR-R -----> Line_out_R X X bline out R => disconnect that ?
> NC X
> EAR-L -----> Line_out_L X X bline out L => disconnect that ?
>

> bline out are useless ??
>
> tia

If you look in the Asus manual for the P5AD2, the bline_out
pins are no longer provided. The Azalia sense lines are
connected there now.

The old way of doing AC'97 was like this:
(The Damier case doesn't have the switch, and shorts the
line_out and bline_out together.)

\ headphone_mute_contacts
___. \.___ (switch opens when headphones
/ \ are plugged in)
| |
sound_chip----X X-------------- rear_lineout_connector
line_out bline_out

The old way of doing things was for some extra contacts on the
headphone jack on the front panel, to mute the output of the
rear (lime colored) lineout jack on the back of the computer.
When the headphone was plugged in, the "switch" shown above
opens, and then sound no longer comes out on the rear lineout
jack.

I suspect the Azalia AC'97 header looks like this, because
otherwise there would be no way to get a signal on lineout
on the back of the computer.

\ headphone_mute_contacts
___. \.___ (Not connected)
/

sound_chip--+----X X +------ rear_lineout_connector
| line_out nc |
| |
\________________________/
(wired inside motherboard)

What this would mean, is the rear lineout connector would not
have a mute function. The headphone and the rear lineout would
always have a signal on them. The extra contact would not be
needed.

Please test this function and report what you find. I.e. With
the extra wires unconnected to anything, plug speakers into
Lineout on the rear of the computer, and see if they get
a signal while the headphones are also plugged into the
front of the computer. That will prove or disprove the
theory in the second picture.

By the way, your Damier case does not have a mute function,
and the bline_out and line_out are shorted together
permanently, so that there is a signal on the headphones
and the rear lineout all the time. Some other computer
cases have the headphone_mute_contacts shown above, and
then the line_out and bline_out use completely separated
wires.

HTH,
Paul

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

and if i connect sound system (3.1 , 5.1 ) in rear panel and if after i
connect headphones in front panel without disconnect the sound system
of rear panel
the sound system of rear panel stop ???

tia

Paul

Splendid

In article <mn.33bd7d5190fe830d.13446@thx.fr>, id wrote:

> and if i connect sound system (3.1 , 5.1 ) in rear panel and if after i
> connect headphones in front panel without disconnect the sound system
> of rear panel
> the sound system of rear panel stop ???
>
> tia

That is a good question. The C-Media 9880 chip has eight
stereo general purpose ports on it. Two ports would be
used for Mic_in and Line_in. Four ports would be used
for front, rear, center/sub, and side speakers. That
leaves two ports. The motherboard itself has a "CD"
audio header, leaving one port. It is possible that
the one leftover port is used solely to drive the
AAFP header headphone output. But only by testing
(plug in headphones, listen to see if lineout speakers
on the rear of the computer are stopped) will we
know if that is how Asus hooked them up.

Paul