Hie,

I have just found out that my hard drive has bad sectors.
I used chkdsk/f to try and fix them but they remained. I
even deleted the drive and reformated but to no avail.
Can anyone help... or is this a lost cause? I use XP Pro
as an operating system.

Thanks

Yam

The Data Lifeguard Online Diagnostics service is a web-based
diagnostic utility capable of testing any manufacturer's EIDE
hard drive. The purpose of the Data Lifeguard Online Diagnostics
service is to provide the user with an easy method to physically
test the health of the hard drives installed in his system without
the need to create a bootable diskette or to reboot the system.
http://support.wdc.com/dlg/onlinedlg.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Yamurayi" anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message:

| Hie,
|
| I have just found out that my hard drive has bad sectors.
| I used chkdsk/f to try and fix them but they remained. I
| even deleted the drive and reformated but to no avail.
| Can anyone help... or is this a lost cause? I use XP Pro
| as an operating system.
|
| Thanks
|
| Yam

A bad sector is a bad sector. It is a "physical" defect and it can not be
repaired. Chkdsk /r will move the information from these bad sectors (it may
not be usable) and mark the sector as bad. From that point on it will not be
used.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Yamurayi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hie,
>
> I have just found out that my hard drive has bad sectors.
> I used chkdsk/f to try and fix them but they remained. I
> even deleted the drive and reformated but to no avail.
> Can anyone help... or is this a lost cause? I use XP Pro
> as an operating system.
>
> Thanks
>
> Yam

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

So I'm not sure what that means. I have 32 bad sectors, never had that
problem before. My PC for some reason does not seem to be operating properly
-- can't put my finger on it, it just seems to be running more slowly, and
hangs more than usual.

I run chkdsk somewhat frequently, but I've never seen bad sectors. What
could cause it to show up quite suddenly? I don't remember spilling coffee
on it, though you never know with 2 kids ;-)

More importantly, should I be worried?

"Crusty "Old B@stard"" wrote:

> A bad sector is a bad sector. It is a "physical" defect and it can not be
> repaired. Chkdsk /r will move the information from these bad sectors (it may
> not be usable) and mark the sector as bad. From that point on it will not be
> used.
>
> --
> Regards:
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>

> "Yamurayi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hie,
> >
> > I have just found out that my hard drive has bad sectors.
> > I used chkdsk/f to try and fix them but they remained. I
> > even deleted the drive and reformated but to no avail.
> > Can anyone help... or is this a lost cause? I use XP Pro
> > as an operating system.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Yam

Give the computer a hard knock, while it is running. The drive heads could
contact the spinning platters and damage the platter surface. Now you have a
bad drive.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So I'm not sure what that means. I have 32 bad sectors, never had that
> problem before. My PC for some reason does not seem to be operating
> properly
> -- can't put my finger on it, it just seems to be running more slowly, and
> hangs more than usual.
>
> I run chkdsk somewhat frequently, but I've never seen bad sectors. What
> could cause it to show up quite suddenly? I don't remember spilling
> coffee
> on it, though you never know with 2 kids ;-)
>
> More importantly, should I be worried?
>
> "Crusty "Old B@stard"" wrote:
>
>> A bad sector is a bad sector. It is a "physical" defect and it can not be
>> repaired. Chkdsk /r will move the information from these bad sectors (it
>> may
>> not be usable) and mark the sector as bad. From that point on it will not
>> be
>> used.
>>
>> --
>> Regards:
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>>

>> "Yamurayi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hie,
>> >
>> > I have just found out that my hard drive has bad sectors.
>> > I used chkdsk/f to try and fix them but they remained. I
>> > even deleted the drive and reformated but to no avail.
>> > Can anyone help... or is this a lost cause? I use XP Pro
>> > as an operating system.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Yam

TRENDING THREADS