A8N-SLI Deluxe: Why is my PS/2 Intellimouse Explorer mouse..

Can anyone help me and answer this? My last motherboard, my mouse
light was not always on when my PC was OFF and with this new one, I
noticed that its always on.

Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about deluxe intellimouse explorer mouse

    tecknotot wrote:
    > Can anyone help me and answer this? My last motherboard, my mouse
    > light was not always on when my PC was OFF and with this new one, I
    > noticed that its always on.

    Possibly the new one has a wake-up event for the mouse; the old one didn't?

    Ben

    In article <mvblt0tgd6sh82vhc44fl4liigjhor1r5c@4ax.com>, tecknotot <> wrote:

    > Can anyone help me and answer this? My last motherboard, my mouse
    > light was not always on when my PC was OFF and with this new one, I
    > noticed that its always on.
    >
    > Thanks!

    In the past, there were three or four headers on the motherboard,
    that allowed the user to choose to power PS/2 mouse/keyboard or
    USB devices, from either +5V or from +5VSB.

    It looks like this is the first Asus motherboard to do away with
    those headers. The user manual doesn't have any pictures of the
    layout, so I cannot check and see if there is room on the
    motherboard for the three pin header or not. (The designer could
    have placed the header pads/holes on the board, and then
    manufacturing removed the pins.)

    Based on your observation, it seems your ports are being powered
    by +5VSB. This is fine, as long as the ATX power supply has enough
    current to run all the devices connected from +5VSB. This could
    be a problem, for example, if the USB ports are powered by
    +5VSB, and you use bus powered USB scanners or ADSL modems. In
    a case like that, with enough 500mA USB device loads, you might
    manage to overload the +5VSB output. And, without headers on the
    board (they would be labelled USBPWxxx or the like) to choose
    powering from +5V, you would need to use an external powered hub
    to solve the powering issue.

    (I hope Asus gets a clue, and puts the color pictures of the
    motherboard back in the manual, as the picture helps in diagnosing
    problems like this.)

    As far as I know, Asus is not smart enough to make the powering
    choice switchable in hardware. It could be done, but would cost
    a few bucks. Removing the USBPWxxx headers from the
    motherboard probably saved Asus a whole $0.10 per board.
    A big win for their finances :-(

    HTH,
    Paul

Asus Explorer Motherboards