A8N-SLI > deluxe v's normal

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
January 4, 2005 7:06:03 PM

Can anyone tell me the difference between the deluxe and normal versions of
the new A8N board? I can find no definate info on the ASUS site.

Thanks.

More about : a8n sli deluxe normal

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 4, 2005 7:27:29 PM

"Andy" <Reply_to@the.group> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me the difference between the deluxe and normal versions
of
> the new A8N board? I can find no definate info on the ASUS site.
>
> Thanks.

As far as I know, there is only one Asus nForce4 based motherboard, the
A8N-SLI Deluxe. Currently, there is not a non-deluxe or non-SLI version
available. Are you talking about a new board that has not been released?
Also, the only company that has released a non-SLI nForce4 motherboard so
far is Gigabyte, unless that's changed in the last week or so.

Greg M
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2005 12:10:55 AM

Andy wrote:
> Can anyone tell me the difference between the deluxe and normal versions of
> the new A8N board? I can find no definate info on the ASUS site.
>
> Thanks.

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31089

Ron
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2005 1:35:35 AM

The Deluxe has 2 LAN ports, I noticed that.

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:06:03 -0000, "Andy" <Reply_to@the.group> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me the difference between the deluxe and normal versions of
>the new A8N board? I can find no definate info on the ASUS site.
>
>Thanks.

January 7, 2005 2:53:26 AM

Its also got an extra set of sata connections from a sil 3114R supposedly
with raid5 via software patch but not supported by SIL

or you could check out the link
http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8nsli-d/over...

I've been looking into building a new PC and I was going to get the
a8n-deluxe but now there's a sli version on the way I'll wait a few months
for a few revisions of this one. I've been caught out to many times in
getting the first versions of MB's to go out and get one of the first batchs
off the production line.

<tecknotot> wrote in message
> The Deluxe has 2 LAN ports, I noticed that.
>
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:06:03 -0000, "Andy" <Reply_to@the.group> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone tell me the difference between the deluxe and normal versions
>>of
>>the new A8N board? I can find no definate info on the ASUS site.
>>
>>Thanks.

January 7, 2005 11:47:10 AM

Pug wrote:
> Its also got an extra set of sata connections from a sil 3114R
> supposedly with raid5 via software patch but not supported by SIL

I can't seem to find any info anywhere regarding this ?

I really want to setup a RAID5 array. With it being via a "Software Patch",
I'm assuming the 3114R has no BIOS support for RAID 5, and hence cannot boot
from the array ?

And if this is the case, then what's the point ?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2005 2:31:24 AM

/hijack on
You would have to have a seperate boot disk. There's plenty of
connectors on that board, you'd just have to buy another HD to boot
with :p

The point is that RAID 5 is an excellent array configuration, and if
it means you have use a seperate boot disk to do it, well, manually
back up your boot partition to the RAID once you're installed and
you've got a ghost to refer to should your boot drive fail.

Kind of a RAID 5+1 the hard way. /shrug

But to refute:
Since the RAID controller is on the mobo wouldn't a software patch
have to be BIOS based? And wouldn't that be called a Flash or BIOS
patch? Or is the software applied to a 'after POST, prior to Windows
boot' level file/driver and the RAID 5 functionality is applied
before the system boots? This is really semantics.
/hijack off
January 17, 2005 12:22:51 PM

ninjawidget wrote:
> /hijack on
> You would have to have a seperate boot disk. There's plenty of
> connectors on that board, you'd just have to buy another HD to boot
> with :p
>
> The point is that RAID 5 is an excellent array configuration, and if
> it means you have use a seperate boot disk to do it, well, manually
> back up your boot partition to the RAID once you're installed and
> you've got a ghost to refer to should your boot drive fail.
>
> Kind of a RAID 5+1 the hard way. /shrug
>
> But to refute:
> Since the RAID controller is on the mobo wouldn't a software patch
> have to be BIOS based? And wouldn't that be called a Flash or BIOS
> patch? Or is the software applied to a 'after POST, prior to Windows
> boot' level file/driver and the RAID 5 functionality is applied
> before the system boots? This is really semantics.
> /hijack off

How the hell does the RAID5 actually work on these boards ?

The only info I can find is "applied via a software patch" ?

If it's not supported at the BIOS level (ie, the RAID 5 array is bootable)
then it's a complete waste of time !
!