A8N-SLI > deluxe v's normal

Can anyone tell me the difference between the deluxe and normal versions of
the new A8N board? I can find no definate info on the ASUS site.

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about deluxe normal

    "Andy" <Reply_to@the.group> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me the difference between the deluxe and normal versions
    of
    > the new A8N board? I can find no definate info on the ASUS site.
    >
    > Thanks.

    As far as I know, there is only one Asus nForce4 based motherboard, the
    A8N-SLI Deluxe. Currently, there is not a non-deluxe or non-SLI version
    available. Are you talking about a new board that has not been released?
    Also, the only company that has released a non-SLI nForce4 motherboard so
    far is Gigabyte, unless that's changed in the last week or so.

    Greg M

    Andy wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me the difference between the deluxe and normal versions of
    > the new A8N board? I can find no definate info on the ASUS site.
    >
    > Thanks.

    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31089

    Ron

    The Deluxe has 2 LAN ports, I noticed that.

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:06:03 -0000, "Andy" <Reply_to@the.group> wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me the difference between the deluxe and normal versions of
    >the new A8N board? I can find no definate info on the ASUS site.
    >
    >Thanks.

    Its also got an extra set of sata connections from a sil 3114R supposedly
    with raid5 via software patch but not supported by SIL

    or you could check out the link
    http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8nsli-d/overview.htm

    I've been looking into building a new PC and I was going to get the
    a8n-deluxe but now there's a sli version on the way I'll wait a few months
    for a few revisions of this one. I've been caught out to many times in
    getting the first versions of MB's to go out and get one of the first batchs
    off the production line.

    Pug wrote:
    > Its also got an extra set of sata connections from a sil 3114R
    > supposedly with raid5 via software patch but not supported by SIL

    I can't seem to find any info anywhere regarding this ?

    I really want to setup a RAID5 array. With it being via a "Software Patch",
    I'm assuming the 3114R has no BIOS support for RAID 5, and hence cannot boot
    from the array ?

    And if this is the case, then what's the point ?

    /hijack on
    You would have to have a seperate boot disk. There's plenty of
    connectors on that board, you'd just have to buy another HD to boot
    with :P

    The point is that RAID 5 is an excellent array configuration, and if
    it means you have use a seperate boot disk to do it, well, manually
    back up your boot partition to the RAID once you're installed and
    you've got a ghost to refer to should your boot drive fail.

    Kind of a RAID 5+1 the hard way. /shrug

    But to refute:
    Since the RAID controller is on the mobo wouldn't a software patch
    have to be BIOS based? And wouldn't that be called a Flash or BIOS
    patch? Or is the software applied to a 'after POST, prior to Windows
    boot' level file/driver and the RAID 5 functionality is applied
    before the system boots? This is really semantics.
    /hijack off

    ninjawidget wrote:
    > /hijack on
    > You would have to have a seperate boot disk. There's plenty of
    > connectors on that board, you'd just have to buy another HD to boot
    > with :P
    >
    > The point is that RAID 5 is an excellent array configuration, and if
    > it means you have use a seperate boot disk to do it, well, manually
    > back up your boot partition to the RAID once you're installed and
    > you've got a ghost to refer to should your boot drive fail.
    >
    > Kind of a RAID 5+1 the hard way. /shrug
    >
    > But to refute:
    > Since the RAID controller is on the mobo wouldn't a software patch
    > have to be BIOS based? And wouldn't that be called a Flash or BIOS
    > patch? Or is the software applied to a 'after POST, prior to Windows
    > boot' level file/driver and the RAID 5 functionality is applied
    > before the system boots? This is really semantics.
    > /hijack off

    How the hell does the RAID5 actually work on these boards ?

    The only info I can find is "applied via a software patch" ?

    If it's not supported at the BIOS level (ie, the RAID 5 array is bootable)
    then it's a complete waste of time !

Asus SLI Motherboards