P4C800-E Dlx Creating Mirror to existing data disks

Hi

Just purhaced second harddisk in mind of creating mirror to Intel 875
SATA cotroller. Now before starting to do that , like to verify some
things

Has anyone done this ?
Does orginal data stay in first/original disk (IMPORTANT)
Do i need to take 100% full backup copy of original disk so actually
need one more ....
or how this will work

So goal is just mirror old disk with new one.
And both disks are same kind and model and size.

abc@a.a - tired to spams, so false email and name
3 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 creating mirror existing data disks

    I am doing this on mine, you will need to do a clean install of XP, make
    sure you create the driver disk first there is a makedisk utility on the CD.

    You will need create the RAID array, the intructions are in the manual.

    John

    "abc" <abc@a.a> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Just purhaced second harddisk in mind of creating mirror to Intel 875
    > SATA cotroller. Now before starting to do that , like to verify some
    > things
    >
    > Has anyone done this ?
    > Does orginal data stay in first/original disk (IMPORTANT)
    > Do i need to take 100% full backup copy of original disk so actually
    > need one more ....
    > or how this will work
    >
    > So goal is just mirror old disk with new one.
    > And both disks are same kind and model and size.
    >

    > abc@a.a - tired to spams, so false email and name

    Yes it can be done with the proper direction. Follow this link
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=9888 to a great forum on
    ASUS MB's.
    You should always do a full backup before you start a project like this.
    In my case I went from a single HD on the Promise chip loaded with WIN/XP
    SP2 to a RAID 1 on the Intel ICH5R chip on the same ASUS P4C800E-Dlx using
    the original HD plus one new one and NOT having to reload the original
    drive. I used Maxtor 120GB ATA drives with ATA to SATA adapters and it still
    worked.
    Use Clintfan's plan for the configuration your in now and take it step by
    step.
    Good Luck,
    Rich
    "abc" <abc@a.a> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Just purhaced second harddisk in mind of creating mirror to Intel 875
    > SATA cotroller. Now before starting to do that , like to verify some
    > things
    >
    > Has anyone done this ?
    > Does orginal data stay in first/original disk (IMPORTANT)
    > Do i need to take 100% full backup copy of original disk so actually
    > need one more ....
    > or how this will work
    >
    > So goal is just mirror old disk with new one.
    > And both disks are same kind and model and size.
    >

    > abc@a.a - tired to spams, so false email and name

    Yes, yes, and yes. Always take backups prior to a process such as this. Do
    not rely on RAID 1 as your backup. Raid 1 is not a backup system, it is only
    protection against drive failure. IE you will need a backup system
    regardless....

    I have not read the article referred to above....

    I suggest going to the Intel web site and looking in the downloads section
    for documentation on the ICH5R. There you will find a document that defines
    what RAID Ready is and that states that non RAID to RAID 1 conversion can be
    done at run time.

    I would check system BIOS version and make sure you have the latest drivers
    and IAA Raid edition software at hand before starting. Check BIOS notes and
    RAID driver notes at the same time.

    I was too chicken to do the Intel method as no one had stated they had done
    it without hitches. The documentation also does not instill confidence. (The
    method I am referring to here is the online RAID 1 volume creation that can
    supposedly be done while Windows is running). So I took the cautious
    approach: a drive image and did the process manually. Don't forget to image
    restore *all* your partititions on your disc drive, not just your boot
    partition. To get the SATA RAID drivers installed, you will need to do a
    repair XP (I assume you have XP?) install and feed in the drivers to an F6
    prompt. This is after changing the bios to RAID.

    - Tim

    "abc" <abc@a.a> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Just purhaced second harddisk in mind of creating mirror to Intel 875
    > SATA cotroller. Now before starting to do that , like to verify some
    > things
    >
    > Has anyone done this ?
    > Does orginal data stay in first/original disk (IMPORTANT)
    > Do i need to take 100% full backup copy of original disk so actually
    > need one more ....
    > or how this will work
    >
    > So goal is just mirror old disk with new one.
    > And both disks are same kind and model and size.
    >

    > abc@a.a - tired to spams, so false email and name

Asus Hard Drives Mirror Motherboards