Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 13, 2005 3:39:06 PM

Hi, Trying to configure Adsl Wireless Modem Router to connect Desktop and
Laptop PC's. I've connected the PC to the router via ethernet, 'renewed' the
IP address on the PC via 'CMD', but can't open the browser to enter the new
IP in the URL box, so as to create the internet connection. Have I missed a
step out? Not according to the instructions. Can Anybody help?
TIA
J.J.
UK

More about : adsl networking

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 13, 2005 7:04:49 PM

First we need to know what typew of Wireless modem, what os, what t ype of
wireless adapters and such.

"J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Trying to configure Adsl Wireless Modem Router to connect Desktop and
> Laptop PC's. I've connected the PC to the router via ethernet, 'renewed'
> the
> IP address on the PC via 'CMD', but can't open the browser to enter the
> new
> IP in the URL box, so as to create the internet connection. Have I missed
> step out? Not according to the instructions. Can Anybody help?
> TIA
> J.J.
> UK
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 14, 2005 12:49:08 PM

Hi Robert,
the modem is a 'Sweex' Wireless ADSL Modem+Router+4 Port 10/100 Switch
Annex-A .
(Please enter[ cc400010UK ] in search bar at, www.sweex.com for product
Specs.)
I'm using XP Pro on the desktop which I intend to network using ethernet.
The laptop has a MiniPCI WLAN 802.11g and OS is XP Home.
I've followed the instructions as far as I can tell and changed the IP to
10.0.0.2. The next step is to open the browser (IE) and enter 10.0.0.2 in the
search bar but the desktop can't open the browser. Error message says "Web
page unavailable offline" and internet connection is telling me that there is
no dial tone and to make sure the modem is connected to the computer and
telephone line! The ADSL line is plugged into the Router and Router is
connected via ethernet to PC, so why won't it 'see' it. Could there be a
vital 'Service' disabled?
Hope this info helps,
TIA
J.J.
UK.

"Robert Jacobs" wrote:

> First we need to know what typew of Wireless modem, what os, what t ype of
> wireless adapters and such.
>
> "J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, Trying to configure Adsl Wireless Modem Router to connect Desktop and
> > Laptop PC's. I've connected the PC to the router via ethernet, 'renewed'
> > the
> > IP address on the PC via 'CMD', but can't open the browser to enter the
> > new
> > IP in the URL box, so as to create the internet connection. Have I missed
> > step out? Not according to the instructions. Can Anybody help?
> > TIA
> > J.J.
> > UK

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 15, 2005 3:40:13 PM

Volunteer your CPU to power global research http://www.grid.org/about/
> Hi Robert,
> the modem is a 'Sweex' Wireless ADSL Modem+Router+4 Port 10/100 Switch
> Annex-A .
> (Please enter[ cc400010UK ] in search bar at, www.sweex.com for product
> Specs.)
> I'm using XP Pro on the desktop which I intend to network using ethernet.
> The laptop has a MiniPCI WLAN 802.11g and OS is XP Home.
> I've followed the instructions as far as I can tell and changed the IP to
> 10.0.0.2. The next step is to open the browser (IE) and enter 10.0.0.2 in
> the
> search bar but the desktop can't open the browser. Error message says "Web
> page unavailable offline" and internet connection is telling me that there
> is
> no dial tone and to make sure the modem is connected to the computer and
> telephone line! The ADSL line is plugged into the Router and Router is
> connected via ethernet to PC, so why won't it 'see' it. Could there be a
> vital 'Service' disabled?
> Hope this info helps,
> TIA
> J.J.
> UK.
>

> "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
>
>> First we need to know what typew of Wireless modem, what os, what t ype
>> of
>> wireless adapters and such.
>>
>> "J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi, Trying to configure Adsl Wireless Modem Router to connect Desktop
>> > and
>> > Laptop PC's. I've connected the PC to the router via ethernet,
>> > 'renewed'
>> > the
>> > IP address on the PC via 'CMD', but can't open the browser to enter
>> > the
>> > new
>> > IP in the URL box, so as to create the internet connection. Have I
>> > missed
>> > step out? Not according to the instructions. Can Anybody help?
>> > TIA
>> > J.J.
>> > UK

What IP address have you changed to 10.0.0.2? This is the IP address of the
router so you can't use it for the ip address of the PC as well. The router
should have a DHCP server so you should be able to get an IP address
allocated automatically. If you have to log in to the router to change
settings, use an IP address such as 10.0.0.3 for the PC.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 15, 2005 3:40:14 PM

Hi Tony.

> What IP address have you changed to 10.0.0.2? This is the IP address of the
> router so you can't use it for the ip address of the PC as well.

The instructions are, to 'Renew' the LAN IP and 10.0.0.2 is what it came
up with. I don't know what the IP of the PC is. How can I find that?

"Tony" wrote:

> --
> Volunteer your CPU to power global research http://www.grid.org/about/
> > Sign up and join the team
> > http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=E6F0B751...
> "J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Robert,
> > the modem is a 'Sweex' Wireless ADSL Modem+Router+4 Port 10/100 Switch
> > Annex-A .
> > (Please enter[ cc400010UK ] in search bar at, www.sweex.com for product
> > Specs.)
> > I'm using XP Pro on the desktop which I intend to network using ethernet.
> > The laptop has a MiniPCI WLAN 802.11g and OS is XP Home.
> > I've followed the instructions as far as I can tell and changed the IP to
> > 10.0.0.2. The next step is to open the browser (IE) and enter 10.0.0.2 in
> > the
> > search bar but the desktop can't open the browser. Error message says "Web
> > page unavailable offline" and internet connection is telling me that there
> > is
> > no dial tone and to make sure the modem is connected to the computer and
> > telephone line! The ADSL line is plugged into the Router and Router is
> > connected via ethernet to PC, so why won't it 'see' it. Could there be a
> > vital 'Service' disabled?
> > Hope this info helps,
> > TIA
> > J.J.
> > UK.
> >

> > "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
> >
> >> First we need to know what typew of Wireless modem, what os, what t ype
> >> of
> >> wireless adapters and such.
> >>
> >> "J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> What IP address have you changed to 10.0.0.2? This is the IP address of the
> router so you can't use it for the ip address of the PC as well. The router
> should have a DHCP server so you should be able to get an IP address
> allocated automatically. If you have to log in to the router to change
> settings, use an IP address such as 10.0.0.3 for the PC.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 15, 2005 3:40:15 PM

Sorry Tony,
checked IP config again and it's not the IP I've changed,
it's the Default Gateway to 10.0.0.2. IP is 10.0.0.5
If phone line is connected to ADSL input on Modem/Router and Router is wired
to LAN on PC, why can't it log on to Router?

TIA
J.J.

"J.J." wrote:

> Hi Tony.
>
> > What IP address have you changed to 10.0.0.2? This is the IP address of the
> > router so you can't use it for the ip address of the PC as well.
>
> The instructions are, to 'Renew' the LAN IP and 10.0.0.2 is what it came
> up with. I don't know what the IP of the PC is. How can I find that?
>
> "Tony" wrote:
>
> > --
> > Volunteer your CPU to power global research http://www.grid.org/about/
> > > Sign up and join the team
> > > http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=E6F0B751...
> > "J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Robert,
> > > the modem is a 'Sweex' Wireless ADSL Modem+Router+4 Port 10/100 Switch
> > > Annex-A .
> > > (Please enter[ cc400010UK ] in search bar at, www.sweex.com for product
> > > Specs.)
> > > I'm using XP Pro on the desktop which I intend to network using ethernet.
> > > The laptop has a MiniPCI WLAN 802.11g and OS is XP Home.
> > > I've followed the instructions as far as I can tell and changed the IP to
> > > 10.0.0.2. The next step is to open the browser (IE) and enter 10.0.0.2 in
> > > the
> > > search bar but the desktop can't open the browser. Error message says "Web
> > > page unavailable offline" and internet connection is telling me that there
> > > is
> > > no dial tone and to make sure the modem is connected to the computer and
> > > telephone line! The ADSL line is plugged into the Router and Router is
> > > connected via ethernet to PC, so why won't it 'see' it. Could there be a
> > > vital 'Service' disabled?
> > > Hope this info helps,
> > > TIA
> > > J.J.
> > > UK.

> > What IP address have you changed to 10.0.0.2? This is the IP address of the
> > router so you can't use it for the ip address of the PC as well. The router
> > should have a DHCP server so you should be able to get an IP address
> > allocated automatically. If you have to log in to the router to change
> > settings, use an IP address such as 10.0.0.3 for the PC.

January 15, 2005 8:46:53 PM

J.J. wrote:
> Sorry Tony,
> checked IP config again and it's not the IP I've changed,
> it's the Default Gateway to 10.0.0.2. IP is 10.0.0.5
> If phone line is connected to ADSL input on Modem/Router and Router is wired
> to LAN on PC, why can't it log on to Router?
>
> TIA
> J.J.
>
> "J.J." wrote:
>

>>Hi Tony.
>>

>>>What IP address have you changed to 10.0.0.2? This is the IP address of the
>>>router so you can't use it for the ip address of the PC as well.
>>
>> The instructions are, to 'Renew' the LAN IP and 10.0.0.2 is what it came
>>up with. I don't know what the IP of the PC is. How can I find that?
>>
>>"Tony" wrote:
>>

>>>--
>>>Volunteer your CPU to power global research http://www.grid.org/about/

>>>"J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>>What IP address have you changed to 10.0.0.2? This is the IP address of the
>>>router so you can't use it for the ip address of the PC as well. The router
>>>should have a DHCP server so you should be able to get an IP address
>>>allocated automatically. If you have to log in to the router to change
>>>settings, use an IP address such as 10.0.0.3 for the PC.

Can you open Internet explorer and type in URL as http://10.0.0.2
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 15, 2005 8:46:54 PM

No internet connection at all, while ADSL is plugged into Router
J.J.

"Tony" wrote:

> J.J. wrote:
> > Sorry Tony,
> > checked IP config again and it's not the IP I've changed,
> > it's the Default Gateway to 10.0.0.2. IP is 10.0.0.5
> > If phone line is connected to ADSL input on Modem/Router and Router is wired
> > to LAN on PC, why can't it log on to Router?
> >
> > TIA
> > J.J.
> >
> > "J.J." wrote:
> >

> >>Hi Tony.

> >> The instructions are, to 'Renew' the LAN IP and 10.0.0.2 is what it came
> >>up with. I don't know what the IP of the PC is. How can I find that?

> Can you open Internet explorer and type in URL as http://10.0.0.2

January 16, 2005 6:26:07 PM

> No internet connection at all, while ADSL is plugged into Router
> J.J.

http://10.0.0.2 is not an internet connection, it is the URL of the router
to gain access to its control.

Have you changed the connection option in internet explorer to Never dial a
connection (tools>>internet options>>connections). The router should handle
the connection so you don't have to use the PC to "dial up".

To ping the router go to start>>run and type cmd, press okay.
When the terminal screen pops up type: ping 10.0.0.2 and see what happens.
If it is connecting to the router you will get: reply from 10.0.0.2..... if
it isnt you will get request timed out.

Also while you are in the terminal window, type: ipconfig and let us know
what the results are. Please reply to the other post: New to networking
Help with the results
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 21, 2005 7:18:02 PM

J.J. wrote:
> Hi, Trying to configure Adsl Wireless Modem Router to connect Desktop
> and Laptop PC's. I've connected the PC to the router via ethernet,
> 'renewed' the IP address on the PC via 'CMD', but can't open the
> browser to enter the new IP in the URL box, so as to create the
> internet connection. Have I missed a step out? Not according to the
> instructions. Can Anybody help?
> TIA
> J.J.
> UK

You need to run the network setup wizard to set up a NEW connection
based on the ethernet NIC. Simply connecting an ethernet cable from
computer to router does nothing.