a7m266-d and mobile cpu problems

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

After reading a few success stories, I tried upgradeing my 2 x 2100+
A7M266-D rev (1.04) board to a pair of 2600 mobile bartons @ 1.45 volt.

Although the newest manual listed the 1.04 rev board as allowing jumpers to
set the voltage for both cpu, the board behavied exactly like the rev 1.03.
The first cpu was set to 1.45 volts, the second was near 1.85 according to
the bios power routine. It would not boot into windows for very long, even
running at a slow 800mhz and would not boot dual into windows at all.

I set the jumpers to auto select and the voltage was better, the bios listed
1.6 for both and when windows XP SP2 started, the asus probe showed 1.472
and 1.584 for cpu1 and cpu2 respectively. I assume that is close enough to
1.45 not to get damaged?

I used crystalcpuid rev (4.1.4.226) to raise the both multipliers from x6 to
x14 which give 2500+ barton. 2600+ was not stable. This was with the new
..005 beta bios that I found at the german site.

Am currently running two instances of seti and will see what the improvement
is. Hopefully the system will not hang up over night. I suspect I will
restore it back to 2100+ as it does not appear stable enough for my
purposes, especially with different core voltages for both cpu. I also had
to re-activate windows but fortunately did not have to call in on the phone.

The latest version of wcpuid show wrong information and lists the speed as
14 x 56 = 800mhz and they failed to id the chip. Crystalcpuid got it
correct. Bringing up control-panel and system show 800 but I assume that is
from the original boot and not real-time. The last release of aida32 (385)
shows 3 x 622 = 1866mhz = 2500+. they got closer then gatesware at least.
The buss is actually 266, not 622

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Hopefully it will still
be running tomorrow.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

> After reading a few success stories, I tried upgradeing my 2 x 2100+
> A7M266-D rev (1.04) board to a pair of 2600 mobile bartons @ 1.45 volt.
>
> Although the newest manual listed the 1.04 rev board as allowing jumpers
> set the voltage for both cpu, the board behavied exactly like the rev
1.03.
> The first cpu was set to 1.45 volts, the second was near 1.85 according to
> the bios power routine. It would not boot into windows for very long,
even
> running at a slow 800mhz and would not boot dual into windows at all.
>
> I set the jumpers to auto select and the voltage was better, the bios
listed
> 1.6 for both and when windows XP SP2 started, the asus probe showed 1.472
> and 1.584 for cpu1 and cpu2 respectively. I assume that is close enough
> 1.45 not to get damaged?
>
> I used crystalcpuid rev (4.1.4.226) to raise the both multipliers from x6
> x14 which give 2500+ barton. 2600+ was not stable. This was with the new
> .005 beta bios that I found at the german site.

Yes. Considering that the mobiles are just hand-picked Barton cores, as
long as your cooling is adequate, even 1.65 or 1.7 volts is nothing to worry
about. In fact, if you have decent cooling, I'd see if I could get both
cores up to around 1.65 or 1.7, and then you're fairly certain to get to at
least "3200+" levels (2.2 GHz), provided you can get the multiplier high
enough.

steve

skeeter

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I presently have that same motherboard running an old pair of xp1700's which
did not require the mod to run in dual mode.
I have been looking at a pair of mobile 2500 bartons myself and wasn't sure
if I wanted to attempt the socket wire mod. I hope this is stable for you
but wondered where you found that beta bios and that version of
crystalcpuid. I have not been able to find either.

"skeeter" <skee@pldi.net> wrote in message
> I presently have that same motherboard running an old pair of xp1700's
which
> did not require the mod to run in dual mode.
> I have been looking at a pair of mobile 2500 bartons myself and wasn't
sure
> if I wanted to attempt the socket wire mod. I hope this is stable for you
> but wondered where you found that beta bios and that version of
> crystalcpuid. I have not been able to find either.

http://tinyurl.com/17a

They are running fine, no need for wire mod as the voltage of 1.5 is just
fine with those 4 (PO_VID) jumpers set to auto (actual auto jumper "JEN"
set to "jumper" however). The improvement from 2100+ to barton 2500+ made a
45 minute improvement in seti units. From just under 4 hours a work unit
down to 3:15. I thought it would be better.

The A7M266-D has an "ignore mp" bios setting. I probably could have
used my original XP 2100+ without a bridge mod but didnt realize that and
went and silvered up the MP bridge when I first got them.

For some reason I never was able to boot when JEN was set to AUTO and I have
never seen that bios setting for frequency. Can you boot with JEN set to
AUTO? What frequency selections are available in bios when in AUTO mode?

I am getting rid of an old dual P3 x 700 acorp system
http://tinyurl.com/4s6q9 and I ordered an MSI K7D for $120 to put my pair of
old 2100+ modded MP into. That board does not have an "ignore mp" so my
chips should work fine in it. Those mobiles will not work on those MSI
boards supposidly.