Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just bought a new Serial ATA hard drive and I was
wanting to copy everything that i have on my current hard
drive to my new one, so I dont have to reinstall
EVERYTHING. I know it can be done because my cousin has
done it before but I can no longer get ahold of him to
ask him. If anyone can help please write me.

What brand of harddrive is it? Most new harddrives come with software
that will do this for you. Just boot off the CD that came with the
drive and follow the wizard. Seagate uses SeaTools, Maxtor uses
MaxBlast, Western Digital is Data LifeGuard, etc. Good luck ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Brad wrote:
> I just bought a new Serial ATA hard drive and I was
> wanting to copy everything that i have on my current hard
> drive to my new one, so I dont have to reinstall
> EVERYTHING. I know it can be done because my cousin has
> done it before but I can no longer get ahold of him to
> ask him. If anyone can help please write me.

You want a program called Norton Ghost. this will create
an exact replica of any drive and put it on another one.
the application runs at boot, i believe. I worked with it
a while ago.

You can get a warez version, but i might not recommend it
if your not too computer saavy. In fact, if your new to
computers to begin with, go to a professional.

buy it here:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?
description=32-108-148&depa=0

heres nortons page of it :
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

Hi Nathan,

Thanks. Although I have used MaxBlast for formatting, etc., I did not know
one could make exact copies of the HDD. I checked the Maxtor site, and it
sure is a great feature!

Thanks,

John.

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> What brand of harddrive is it? Most new harddrives come with software
> that will do this for you. Just boot off the CD that came with the drive
> and follow the wizard. Seagate uses SeaTools, Maxtor uses MaxBlast,
> Western Digital is Data LifeGuard, etc. Good luck ;)
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Brad wrote:
>> I just bought a new Serial ATA hard drive and I was wanting to copy
>> everything that i have on my current hard drive to my new one, so I dont
>> have to reinstall EVERYTHING. I know it can be done because my cousin has
>> done it before but I can no longer get ahold of him to ask him. If
>> anyone can help please write me.

Yup, here's a nice link for anyone interested:
http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1366

----
Nathan McNulty

John J Sinha wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
> Thanks. Although I have used MaxBlast for formatting, etc., I did not know
> one could make exact copies of the HDD. I checked the Maxtor site, and it
> sure is a great feature!
>
> Thanks,
>
> John.
>
> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>What brand of harddrive is it? Most new harddrives come with software
>>that will do this for you. Just boot off the CD that came with the drive
>>and follow the wizard. Seagate uses SeaTools, Maxtor uses MaxBlast,
>>Western Digital is Data LifeGuard, etc. Good luck ;)
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>Brad wrote:
>>
>>>I just bought a new Serial ATA hard drive and I was wanting to copy
>>>everything that i have on my current hard drive to my new one, so I dont
>>>have to reinstall EVERYTHING. I know it can be done because my cousin has
>>>done it before but I can no longer get ahold of him to ask him. If
>>>anyone can help please write me.

Thanks for the advice about using the disk manuf's own software. My Western
Digital came as an oem unit ie bare but I was able to downlaod (Data
Lifeguard Tools V. 11.0) from the WD site & this has made this job much, much
easier.

Thanks & regards

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> [...]

TRENDING THREADS