P4C800-E DLX AND WIN 2000 PRO

I have a P4C800-E deluxe board with 1 gig of Kingston HyperX ram, a P4
3GHZ cpu, with ACPI enabled in bios - version 1019 recently flashed.
But under the current (running) configuration, Hardware/Devices
/Computer shows computer as 'Standard' which I think it shouldn't be,
with ACPI going.

I ran '\i386\winnt32 /checkupgradeonly' (from the win 2000 CD) and it
reported no incompatibilities with the system, but ... when I try to
install Win 2000 from the original CD, it gets to 'Setup is starting
Windows 2000' and then hangs.

If I reboot and press F5 when Windows Install asks for 3rd-party
drivers, it offers me a few options to choose from, saying it cannot
figure out my mobo. There isn't a setting for ACPI, all I can get to go
is 'Standard', which I don't want.

I have a second HDD which I 'zero-filled' with the seagate utility, and
tried installing on that, but with no better result.

I guess my question is, why doesn't 2000 like the P4C800? - or is this
board engineered for XP only?

Not much hair left ...

Colin D.
4 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 2000

    I have Win2000 on this P4C800-E Delux, and it is very stable.

    You might have some RAM or any card loosened on its slot.
    Check all cables, and look at the PSU too.

    The P4C800-E DLX is somewhat better than P4P800 DLX, which is
    more flaky even when put into PC case.

    --------------
    "Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > I have a P4C800-E deluxe board with 1 gig of Kingston HyperX ram, a P4
    > 3GHZ cpu, with ACPI enabled in bios - version 1019 recently flashed.
    > But under the current (running) configuration, Hardware/Devices
    > /Computer shows computer as 'Standard' which I think it shouldn't be,
    > with ACPI going.
    >
    > I ran '\i386\winnt32 /checkupgradeonly' (from the win 2000 CD) and it
    > reported no incompatibilities with the system, but ... when I try to
    > install Win 2000 from the original CD, it gets to 'Setup is starting
    > Windows 2000' and then hangs.
    >
    > If I reboot and press F5 when Windows Install asks for 3rd-party
    > drivers, it offers me a few options to choose from, saying it cannot
    > figure out my mobo. There isn't a setting for ACPI, all I can get to go
    > is 'Standard', which I don't want.
    >
    > I have a second HDD which I 'zero-filled' with the seagate utility, and
    > tried installing on that, but with no better result.
    >
    > I guess my question is, why doesn't 2000 like the P4C800? - or is this
    > board engineered for XP only?
    >
    > Not much hair left ...
    >
    > Colin D.

    What kind of videocard do you have? Are you overclocking? Are you trying to
    upgrade?

    John

    In article <41DC9DE6.CAE21AC8@killspam.127.0.0.1>, Colin D
    <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > I have a P4C800-E deluxe board with 1 gig of Kingston HyperX ram, a P4
    > 3GHZ cpu, with ACPI enabled in bios - version 1019 recently flashed.
    > But under the current (running) configuration, Hardware/Devices
    > /Computer shows computer as 'Standard' which I think it shouldn't be,
    > with ACPI going.
    >
    > I ran '\i386\winnt32 /checkupgradeonly' (from the win 2000 CD) and it
    > reported no incompatibilities with the system, but ... when I try to
    > install Win 2000 from the original CD, it gets to 'Setup is starting
    > Windows 2000' and then hangs.
    >
    > If I reboot and press F5 when Windows Install asks for 3rd-party
    > drivers, it offers me a few options to choose from, saying it cannot
    > figure out my mobo. There isn't a setting for ACPI, all I can get to go
    > is 'Standard', which I don't want.
    >
    > I have a second HDD which I 'zero-filled' with the seagate utility, and
    > tried installing on that, but with no better result.
    >
    > I guess my question is, why doesn't 2000 like the P4C800? - or is this
    > board engineered for XP only?
    >
    > Not much hair left ...
    >
    > Colin D.

    Have you tried doing the install with a different version
    of the BIOS installed ? I've had Asus BIOS before, where
    certain versions had ACPI busted on them.

    When you upgraded the BIOS, did you "Load Setup Defaults" ?
    Perhaps it has something to do with the CMOS data from the
    previous version of BIOS, not lining up with the new version
    of BIOS, and either a "Load Setup Defaults" or clearing the
    CMOS will make a different.

    Just some guesses,
    Paul

    Colin D wrote:

    > I have a P4C800-E deluxe board with 1 gig of Kingston HyperX ram, a P4
    > 3GHZ cpu, with ACPI enabled in bios - version 1019 recently flashed.
    > But under the current (running) configuration, Hardware/Devices
    > /Computer shows computer as 'Standard' which I think it shouldn't be,
    > with ACPI going.
    >
    ><snip>

    Many thanks to those people who replied to my post. However, by dint of
    dogged determination (?) I found the problem. I had to turn off
    hyperthreading in bios, remove the third-party scsi card (for my
    negative scanner), and disconnect all the usb connectors - two printers,
    a flatbed scanner, and a flash-card reader. After that, the win2000
    cdrom would boot and install properly. And now, when I check
    hardware\devices\computer, it says 'ACPI Uniprocessor' instead of
    'Standard'. Hallelujah! and the whole machine runs better and feels
    different.

    Colin.

Asus Motherboards