P4C800-E DLX AND WIN 2000 PRO

I have a P4C800-E deluxe board with 1 gig of Kingston HyperX ram, a P4
3GHZ cpu, with ACPI enabled in bios - version 1019 recently flashed.
But under the current (running) configuration, Hardware/Devices
/Computer shows computer as 'Standard' which I think it shouldn't be,
with ACPI going.

I ran '\i386\winnt32 /checkupgradeonly' (from the win 2000 CD) and it
reported no incompatibilities with the system, but ... when I try to
install Win 2000 from the original CD, it gets to 'Setup is starting
Windows 2000' and then hangs.

If I reboot and press F5 when Windows Install asks for 3rd-party
drivers, it offers me a few options to choose from, saying it cannot
figure out my mobo. There isn't a setting for ACPI, all I can get to go
is 'Standard', which I don't want.

I have a second HDD which I 'zero-filled' with the seagate utility, and
tried installing on that, but with no better result.

I guess my question is, why doesn't 2000 like the P4C800? - or is this
board engineered for XP only?

Not much hair left ...

Colin D.

I have Win2000 on this P4C800-E Delux, and it is very stable.

You might have some RAM or any card loosened on its slot.
Check all cables, and look at the PSU too.

The P4C800-E DLX is somewhat better than P4P800 DLX, which is
more flaky even when put into PC case.

--------------
"Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> I have a P4C800-E deluxe board with 1 gig of Kingston HyperX ram, a P4
> 3GHZ cpu, with ACPI enabled in bios - version 1019 recently flashed.
> But under the current (running) configuration, Hardware/Devices
> /Computer shows computer as 'Standard' which I think it shouldn't be,
> with ACPI going.
>
> I ran '\i386\winnt32 /checkupgradeonly' (from the win 2000 CD) and it
> reported no incompatibilities with the system, but ... when I try to
> install Win 2000 from the original CD, it gets to 'Setup is starting
> Windows 2000' and then hangs.
>
> If I reboot and press F5 when Windows Install asks for 3rd-party
> drivers, it offers me a few options to choose from, saying it cannot
> figure out my mobo. There isn't a setting for ACPI, all I can get to go
> is 'Standard', which I don't want.
>
> I have a second HDD which I 'zero-filled' with the seagate utility, and
> tried installing on that, but with no better result.
>
> I guess my question is, why doesn't 2000 like the P4C800? - or is this
> board engineered for XP only?
>
> Not much hair left ...
>
> Colin D.

What kind of videocard do you have? Are you overclocking? Are you trying to
upgrade?

John

"Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message
>I have a P4C800-E deluxe board with 1 gig of Kingston HyperX ram, a P4
> 3GHZ cpu, with ACPI enabled in bios - version 1019 recently flashed.
> But under the current (running) configuration, Hardware/Devices
> /Computer shows computer as 'Standard' which I think it shouldn't be,
> with ACPI going.
>
> I ran '\i386\winnt32 /checkupgradeonly' (from the win 2000 CD) and it
> reported no incompatibilities with the system, but ... when I try to
> install Win 2000 from the original CD, it gets to 'Setup is starting
> Windows 2000' and then hangs.
>
> If I reboot and press F5 when Windows Install asks for 3rd-party
> drivers, it offers me a few options to choose from, saying it cannot
> figure out my mobo. There isn't a setting for ACPI, all I can get to go
> is 'Standard', which I don't want.
>
> I have a second HDD which I 'zero-filled' with the seagate utility, and
> tried installing on that, but with no better result.
>
> I guess my question is, why doesn't 2000 like the P4C800? - or is this
> board engineered for XP only?
>
> Not much hair left ...
>
> Colin D.

Paul

Splendid

In article <41DC9DE6.CAE21AC8@killspam.127.0.0.1>, Colin D
<ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:

> I have a P4C800-E deluxe board with 1 gig of Kingston HyperX ram, a P4
> 3GHZ cpu, with ACPI enabled in bios - version 1019 recently flashed.
> But under the current (running) configuration, Hardware/Devices
> /Computer shows computer as 'Standard' which I think it shouldn't be,
> with ACPI going.
>
> I ran '\i386\winnt32 /checkupgradeonly' (from the win 2000 CD) and it
> reported no incompatibilities with the system, but ... when I try to
> install Win 2000 from the original CD, it gets to 'Setup is starting
> Windows 2000' and then hangs.
>
> If I reboot and press F5 when Windows Install asks for 3rd-party
> drivers, it offers me a few options to choose from, saying it cannot
> figure out my mobo. There isn't a setting for ACPI, all I can get to go
> is 'Standard', which I don't want.
>
> I have a second HDD which I 'zero-filled' with the seagate utility, and
> tried installing on that, but with no better result.
>
> I guess my question is, why doesn't 2000 like the P4C800? - or is this
> board engineered for XP only?
>
> Not much hair left ...
>
> Colin D.

Have you tried doing the install with a different version
of the BIOS installed ? I've had Asus BIOS before, where
certain versions had ACPI busted on them.

When you upgraded the BIOS, did you "Load Setup Defaults" ?
Perhaps it has something to do with the CMOS data from the
previous version of BIOS, not lining up with the new version
of BIOS, and either a "Load Setup Defaults" or clearing the
CMOS will make a different.

Just some guesses,
Paul

Colin D wrote:

> I have a P4C800-E deluxe board with 1 gig of Kingston HyperX ram, a P4
> 3GHZ cpu, with ACPI enabled in bios - version 1019 recently flashed.
> But under the current (running) configuration, Hardware/Devices
> /Computer shows computer as 'Standard' which I think it shouldn't be,
> with ACPI going.
>
><snip>

Many thanks to those people who replied to my post. However, by dint of
dogged determination (?) I found the problem. I had to turn off
hyperthreading in bios, remove the third-party scsi card (for my
negative scanner), and disconnect all the usb connectors - two printers,
a flatbed scanner, and a flash-card reader. After that, the win2000
cdrom would boot and install properly. And now, when I check
hardware\devices\computer, it says 'ACPI Uniprocessor' instead of
'Standard'. Hallelujah! and the whole machine runs better and feels
different.

Colin.