Error Code 41

For no apparent reason both my CD & my DVD have stopped
working. In Device Manager I am being shown an Error Code
41. I have uninstalled the software and even unplugged
the drives from the motherboard several times. XP is
detecting the hardware and installing it automatically,
but I still get the Error Code 41. I have run antivirus
software Norton & AVG. I have run Washer, Norton
Utilities and even defraged the hard drive all to no
avail.......ANY IDEAS PLEASE
1 answer Last reply
More about error code

    Alan,

    Did you by any chance start facing this problem after uninstalling CD
    recording software etc? Please look up this link.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314060

    Thanks,

    John

    "Alan" <alan-daniels@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > For no apparent reason both my CD & my DVD have stopped
    > working. In Device Manager I am being shown an Error Code
    > 41. I have uninstalled the software and even unplugged
    > the drives from the motherboard several times. XP is
    > detecting the hardware and installing it automatically,
    > but I still get the Error Code 41. I have run antivirus
    > software Norton & AVG. I have run Washer, Norton
    > Utilities and even defraged the hard drive all to no
    > avail.......ANY IDEAS PLEASE

Hardware Windows XP