Motherboard recommendation

David

I am looking to build another computer and was wondering what Intel
type Asus motherboard most would recommend? I'm not into gaming;
mostly surfing the web, burning a few CD's, pictures and videos.
Upgrading to DVD is a desired option.

Right now I am using a P4G8X Deluxe and was satisified with it's
performance until my house got struck by lightning.

I had a Tripp-Lite Isotel that protected the computer enough to
allow it to run, but it hasn't run well since the lightning strike.
Replacing the modem, sound card and video card hasn't returned it to
the pre-lightning strike performance.

Replacing the motherboard with all new components seems to be a
logical solution to stability.

Again, what Intel type Asus motherboard would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Davïd
Greenville, NC

"Ðavïd" <one.DM3@esn.net> wrote in message
> I am looking to build another computer and was wondering what Intel
> type Asus motherboard most would recommend? I'm not into gaming;
> mostly surfing the web, burning a few CD's, pictures and videos.
> Upgrading to DVD is a desired option.
>
> Right now I am using a P4G8X Deluxe and was satisified with it's
> performance until my house got struck by lightning.
>
> I had a Tripp-Lite Isotel that protected the computer enough to
> allow it to run, but it hasn't run well since the lightning strike.
> Replacing the modem, sound card and video card hasn't returned it to
> the pre-lightning strike performance.
>
> Replacing the motherboard with all new components seems to be a
> logical solution to stability.
>
> Again, what Intel type Asus motherboard would you recommend?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Davïd
> Greenville, NC

Given your non gaming requirements and, perhaps, some savings, Look at the
integrated boards with Intel chipset. Also, why not consider Athlon? The
ASUS integrated (video, Audio, LAN) boards are nice. I used to use Athlon
boards up until the 2600. After that The P4 chips seem to have the
performance advantage. Now I'm trying the Athlon 3000 and 3200 "Barton"
chips. They seem very fast. We use machines in a 3D CAD professional
modeling environment and the Athlons always had a slight performance
advantage. Seems odd that we use an $80 board in such an environment, but I
tried nice decked out machines and the price vs. performance was not
realized with them. Loading up the cheap board with memory is all that was
needed. 3D modeling needs plenty of that.
bg

David

BG250 wrote...
> Given your non gaming requirements and, perhaps, some savings, Look
> at the
> integrated boards with Intel chipset. Also, why not consider
> Athlon? The
> ASUS integrated (video, Audio, LAN) boards are nice. I used to use
> Athlon
> boards up until the 2600. After that The P4 chips seem to have the
> performance advantage. Now I'm trying the Athlon 3000 and 3200
> "Barton"
> chips. They seem very fast. We use machines in a 3D CAD
> professional
> modeling environment and the Athlons always had a slight
> performance
> advantage. Seems odd that we use an $80 board in such an
> environment, but I
> tried nice decked out machines and the price vs. performance was
> not
> realized with them. Loading up the cheap board with memory is all
> that was
> needed. 3D modeling needs plenty of that.
> bg

Thanks for the response. Years ago I had an AMD generic board and it
never gave a problem. I've always leaned towards the Intel
processors. I dunno why. I guess it's like Chevy vs. Ford, each is a
good product in its own right.

It has been a year or longer since I've built a computer. I haven't
kept up with all the upgrades. Right now I'm beginning to look at
motherboards and I'm seeing stuff like DDR2, PCIe and video cards
that take up two slots. Just trying to make sense of the new
technology. I was hoping someone would chime in with a board or two I
should consider.

Davïd
Greenville, NC