disk drives not detected

my pc is not detecting my dvd drives.it works if I
connect hard disk & 1 dvd player,(tryed with boths & they
work ) but if I connect both at the same time they are
not detected. can anyone give me some tips?!!
thank you!

The jumpers are on the rear of the drive (they should be located
between the power connection and the ribbon cable connection. They
should state their setting above the jumper as well... See the
following example (please excuse this, I'm not an ASCII artist pro...
;) The jumpers are indicated by the []'s.

| :::::::::::::::::::::::| [][][] |O O O O |

Either on the back or on the top of the drive, there should be a
label as to what each jumper does. Most use:

MA = Master

SL = Slave

CS = Cable Select

I hope this helps!

7/24/2004 9:40:18 AM

rjmsimones@msn.com wrote in message

<336001c47183$c24e43a0$a601280a@phx.gbl>

> thank you Mike, all of them are set to auto. one think

> I'm not sure is the jumpers, how do I find it? what is it?

> thank you!

Mike

Splendid

Yo Robert

That looks just like the rear panel on my cd and dvd drives.. smokin.. wtg..

Mike

"Robert Smith" <rsmith.remove@triad.rr.remove.com> wrote in message
> The jumpers are on the rear of the drive (they should be located
> between the power connection and the ribbon cable connection. They
> should state their setting above the jumper as well... See the
> following example (please excuse this, I'm not an ASCII artist pro...
> ;) The jumpers are indicated by the []'s.

> | :::::::::::::::::::::::| [][][] |O O O O |

> Either on the back or on the top of the drive, there should be a
> label as to what each jumper does. Most use:
>
> MA = Master
>
> SL = Slave
>
> CS = Cable Select
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> 7/24/2004 9:40:18 AM
>
> rjmsimones@msn.com wrote in message
>
> <336001c47183$c24e43a0$a601280a@phx.gbl>
>

> > thank you Mike, all of them are set to auto. one think
>
> > I'm not sure is the jumpers, how do I find it? what is it?
>
> > thank you!

Hi Raul,

From the Primary IDE controller on the motherboard, please connect one DVD

rjmsimones@msn.com wrote:

> [...]

Hi, Raul.

Mike's and Robert's advice and diagram should help you fix your problem. If
not, the BEST source of info is the user's manual for YOUR drive - and/or
the website for the drive's manufacturer. While there are some "standards",
many hard drives do not comply with those standards. Even different models
from the same maker are not always the same. The only way to be sure you
have the proper info for your drive is to get it from the drive maker.

Most IDE controllers let us connect two HDs, one as Master and the other as
Slave, by setting the jumpers on the back of the drives. You have to open
the computer case - and maybe physically pull the drives out of the case -
to reach these jumpers, or even to read the helpful labels that tell how to
set them. :>(

Many newer IDE drives and cables use Cable Select; jumpers on all the drives
should be set to CS, rather than MA or SL. Then you must look at the two
drive connectors on the cable to see which will be the Master (usually the
LAST connector on the cable) and which will be Slave.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> thank you Mike, all of them are set to auto. one think
> I'm not sure is the jumpers, how do I find it? what is it?
> thank you!

Thanks for the vote of confidence... ;)

7/24/2004 1:17:56 PM

Mike <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

<5RwMc.19469$Fj.940232@news20.bellglobal.com>

> Yo Robert

> That looks just like the rear panel on my cd and dvd drives..
smokin.. wtg..

> Mike

> "Robert Smith" <rsmith.remove@triad.rr.remove.com> wrote in message

> > The jumpers are on the rear of the drive (they should be located

> > between the power connection and the ribbon cable connection.
They

> > should state their setting above the jumper as well... See the

> > following example (please excuse this, I'm not an ASCII artist
pro...

> > ;) The jumpers are indicated by the []'s.

> > | :::::::::::::::::::::::| [][][] |O O O O |

> > Either on the back or on the top of the drive, there should be a

> > label as to what each jumper does. Most use:

> > MA = Master

> > SL = Slave

> > CS = Cable Select

> > I hope this helps!

> > 7/24/2004 9:40:18 AM

> > rjmsimones@msn.com wrote in message

> > <336001c47183$c24e43a0$a601280a@phx.gbl>

> > > thank you Mike, all of them are set to auto. one think

> > > I'm not sure is the jumpers, how do I find it? what is it?

> > > thank you!

One other dumb thing I remembered. In some cases the connector on the
motherboard or the connector on the drive do not have an index slot and
it is possible to get the cable on upside down or one pin over. Take a
look at that. Amost all boards and dirves will have No 1 pin marked and
most cables have the number one line color coded.