Reliable SATA RAID-1 with P4C800E Deluxe ?

I need a reliable small business server for a 24/7 task.
Speed and performance are not an issue, but reliability and budget are
the central point.

The idea is a P4C800E Deluxe board and two harddisks WD Raptor WD360GD
in RAID-1 array.

I have read a lot of good thinks about the Raptor especially for 24/7
activity and small business task.
But I do not know how can perform the onboard promise controller with
the RAID-1 and its reliability vs. a more expensive SCSI solution.

Any suggestion?

Thank you for replying.

I used RAID 1 for a month before returning to RAID 0 (same mobo and paired
Raptors) and both RAIDs work great--BUT I use the Intel controller.

Just curious--why would you rather use the Promise controller rather than
disabling it in BIOS and use the Intel controller for RAID 1??

MikeSp
"Giobibo" <giobibo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I need a reliable small business server for a 24/7 task.
> Speed and performance are not an issue, but reliability and budget are the
> central point.
>
> The idea is a P4C800E Deluxe board and two harddisks WD Raptor WD360GD in
> RAID-1 array.
>
> I have read a lot of good thinks about the Raptor especially for 24/7
> activity and small business task.
> But I do not know how can perform the onboard promise controller with the
> RAID-1 and its reliability vs. a more expensive SCSI solution.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thank you for replying.

Why did you go to RAID 0?

John

"Michael S." <mspurgeon5@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I used RAID 1 for a month before returning to RAID 0 (same mobo and paired
>Raptors) and both RAIDs work great--BUT I use the Intel controller.
>
> Just curious--why would you rather use the Promise controller rather than
> disabling it in BIOS and use the Intel controller for RAID 1??
>
> MikeSp
> "Giobibo" <giobibo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I need a reliable small business server for a 24/7 task.
>> Speed and performance are not an issue, but reliability and budget are
>> the central point.
>>
>> The idea is a P4C800E Deluxe board and two harddisks WD Raptor WD360GD in
>> RAID-1 array.
>>
>> I have read a lot of good thinks about the Raptor especially for 24/7
>> activity and small business task.
>> But I do not know how can perform the onboard promise controller with the
>> RAID-1 and its reliability vs. a more expensive SCSI solution.
>>
>> Any suggestion?
>>
>> Thank you for replying.

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

Look for Hotswap and email alerts. I don't think you will find either in a
built in controller.

Be aware that there is no such thing as a 24 / 7 system. There are *none*.
You may get 99.999% up time with good management... It is best to plan
outage window allowances eg x * y minutes per annum at random off peak times
to enable you to do patching & reboot, upgrades, check / replace fans, psu,
clean, test etc.

I have several systems running like that using raptors on adaptec sata raid
in 1u racks. If a machine fails, it gets swapped out with a spare - hdd's
get swapped manually.

"Giobibo" <giobibo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I need a reliable small business server for a 24/7 task.
> Speed and performance are not an issue, but reliability and budget are the
> central point.
>
> The idea is a P4C800E Deluxe board and two harddisks WD Raptor WD360GD in
> RAID-1 array.
>
> I have read a lot of good thinks about the Raptor especially for 24/7
> activity and small business task.
> But I do not know how can perform the onboard promise controller with the
> RAID-1 and its reliability vs. a more expensive SCSI solution.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thank you for replying.

John--it was out of the quest for speed and the ignorance that even using
Raptors in RAID 0 that the increase in speed for my applications would be
miniscule at best. In this new computer build (6 months ago) I had to try
both RAID 1 and RAID 0 and at that time, RAID 0 was being hyped a lot and I
tend (sometimes) to be gullible;-)

The next time I fdisk the main hard drives and start over (when it is time
in another year), I WILL go back to RAID 1.

MikeSp
"John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why did you go to RAID 0?
>
> John
>

> "Michael S." <mspurgeon5@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I used RAID 1 for a month before returning to RAID 0 (same mobo and paired
>>Raptors) and both RAIDs work great--BUT I use the Intel controller.
>>
>> Just curious--why would you rather use the Promise controller rather than
>> disabling it in BIOS and use the Intel controller for RAID 1??
>>
>> MikeSp
>> "Giobibo" <giobibo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I need a reliable small business server for a 24/7 task.
>>> Speed and performance are not an issue, but reliability and budget are
>>> the central point.
>>>
>>> The idea is a P4C800E Deluxe board and two harddisks WD Raptor WD360GD
>>> in RAID-1 array.
>>>
>>> I have read a lot of good thinks about the Raptor especially for 24/7
>>> activity and small business task.
>>> But I do not know how can perform the onboard promise controller with
>>> the RAID-1 and its reliability vs. a more expensive SCSI solution.
>>>
>>> Any suggestion?
>>>
>>> Thank you for replying.

Yeah, from what I read the speed was negligible and your rate of failure
increases. I think RAID 1 makes more sense.

Thanks for the reply