Reliable SATA RAID-1 with P4C800E Deluxe ?

I need a reliable small business server for a 24/7 task.
Speed and performance are not an issue, but reliability and budget are
the central point.

The idea is a P4C800E Deluxe board and two harddisks WD Raptor WD360GD
in RAID-1 array.

I have read a lot of good thinks about the Raptor especially for 24/7
activity and small business task.
But I do not know how can perform the onboard promise controller with
the RAID-1 and its reliability vs. a more expensive SCSI solution.

Any suggestion?

Thank you for replying.
5 answers Last reply
More about reliable sata raid p4c800e deluxe

    I used RAID 1 for a month before returning to RAID 0 (same mobo and paired
    Raptors) and both RAIDs work great--BUT I use the Intel controller.

    Just curious--why would you rather use the Promise controller rather than
    disabling it in BIOS and use the Intel controller for RAID 1??

    MikeSp
    "Giobibo" <giobibo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I need a reliable small business server for a 24/7 task.
    > Speed and performance are not an issue, but reliability and budget are the
    > central point.
    >
    > The idea is a P4C800E Deluxe board and two harddisks WD Raptor WD360GD in
    > RAID-1 array.
    >
    > I have read a lot of good thinks about the Raptor especially for 24/7
    > activity and small business task.
    > But I do not know how can perform the onboard promise controller with the
    > RAID-1 and its reliability vs. a more expensive SCSI solution.
    >
    > Any suggestion?
    >
    > Thank you for replying.

    Why did you go to RAID 0?

    John

    "Michael S." <mspurgeon5@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I used RAID 1 for a month before returning to RAID 0 (same mobo and paired
    >Raptors) and both RAIDs work great--BUT I use the Intel controller.
    >
    > Just curious--why would you rather use the Promise controller rather than
    > disabling it in BIOS and use the Intel controller for RAID 1??
    >
    > MikeSp
    > "Giobibo" <giobibo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I need a reliable small business server for a 24/7 task.
    >> Speed and performance are not an issue, but reliability and budget are
    >> the central point.
    >>
    >> The idea is a P4C800E Deluxe board and two harddisks WD Raptor WD360GD in
    >> RAID-1 array.
    >>
    >> I have read a lot of good thinks about the Raptor especially for 24/7
    >> activity and small business task.
    >> But I do not know how can perform the onboard promise controller with the
    >> RAID-1 and its reliability vs. a more expensive SCSI solution.
    >>
    >> Any suggestion?
    >>
    >> Thank you for replying.

    Look for Hotswap and email alerts. I don't think you will find either in a
    built in controller.

    Be aware that there is no such thing as a 24 / 7 system. There are *none*.
    You may get 99.999% up time with good management... It is best to plan
    outage window allowances eg x * y minutes per annum at random off peak times
    to enable you to do patching & reboot, upgrades, check / replace fans, psu,
    clean, test etc.

    I have several systems running like that using raptors on adaptec sata raid
    in 1u racks. If a machine fails, it gets swapped out with a spare - hdd's
    get swapped manually.

    "Giobibo" <giobibo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I need a reliable small business server for a 24/7 task.
    > Speed and performance are not an issue, but reliability and budget are the
    > central point.
    >
    > The idea is a P4C800E Deluxe board and two harddisks WD Raptor WD360GD in
    > RAID-1 array.
    >
    > I have read a lot of good thinks about the Raptor especially for 24/7
    > activity and small business task.
    > But I do not know how can perform the onboard promise controller with the
    > RAID-1 and its reliability vs. a more expensive SCSI solution.
    >
    > Any suggestion?
    >
    > Thank you for replying.

    John--it was out of the quest for speed and the ignorance that even using
    Raptors in RAID 0 that the increase in speed for my applications would be
    miniscule at best. In this new computer build (6 months ago) I had to try
    both RAID 1 and RAID 0 and at that time, RAID 0 was being hyped a lot and I
    tend (sometimes) to be gullible;-)

    The next time I fdisk the main hard drives and start over (when it is time
    in another year), I WILL go back to RAID 1.

    MikeSp
    "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Why did you go to RAID 0?
    >
    > John
    >

    > "Michael S." <mspurgeon5@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>I used RAID 1 for a month before returning to RAID 0 (same mobo and paired
    >>Raptors) and both RAIDs work great--BUT I use the Intel controller.
    >>
    >> Just curious--why would you rather use the Promise controller rather than
    >> disabling it in BIOS and use the Intel controller for RAID 1??
    >>
    >> MikeSp
    >> "Giobibo" <giobibo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>I need a reliable small business server for a 24/7 task.
    >>> Speed and performance are not an issue, but reliability and budget are
    >>> the central point.
    >>>
    >>> The idea is a P4C800E Deluxe board and two harddisks WD Raptor WD360GD
    >>> in RAID-1 array.
    >>>
    >>> I have read a lot of good thinks about the Raptor especially for 24/7
    >>> activity and small business task.
    >>> But I do not know how can perform the onboard promise controller with
    >>> the RAID-1 and its reliability vs. a more expensive SCSI solution.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestion?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for replying.

    Yeah, from what I read the speed was negligible and your rate of failure
    increases. I think RAID 1 makes more sense.

    Thanks for the reply

    > John--it was out of the quest for speed and the ignorance that even using
    > Raptors in RAID 0 that the increase in speed for my applications would be
    > miniscule at best. In this new computer build (6 months ago) I had to try
    > both RAID 1 and RAID 0 and at that time, RAID 0 was being hyped a lot and
    > I tend (sometimes) to be gullible;-)
    >
    > The next time I fdisk the main hard drives and start over (when it is time
    > in another year), I WILL go back to RAID 1.
    >
    > MikeSp
    > "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Why did you go to RAID 0?
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    >> "Michael S." <mspurgeon5@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>>I used RAID 1 for a month before returning to RAID 0 (same mobo and
    >>>paired Raptors) and both RAIDs work great--BUT I use the Intel
    >>>controller.
    >>>
    >>> Just curious--why would you rather use the Promise controller rather
    >>> than disabling it in BIOS and use the Intel controller for RAID 1??
    >>>
    >>> MikeSp
    >>> "Giobibo" <giobibo@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Asus NAS / RAID Motherboards