System 'beeping' on boot up

When I reboot my system beeps and hangs until I press one of the 'F' buttons
(1 to 12)

When it finally boots I am left with strange noises and any text box I try
to fill in, such as a search engine box, are filled with a series of 4's
(444444444444444)

Any help would be appreciated

I am using The latest version of Windows XP

Bob

nor

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

Could it be a bad keyboard? Do you have one that you can swap out?

"fiddaman64" <fiddaman64SPAMMERSARETW@Sblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> When I reboot my system beeps and hangs until I press one of the 'F'
buttons
> (1 to 12)
>
> When it finally boots I am left with strange noises and any text box I try
> to fill in, such as a search engine box, are filled with a series of 4's
> (444444444444444)
>
> Any help would be appreciated
>

> I am using The latest version of Windows XP
>
> Bob

Try a different keyboard. If you don't have one handy try to boot into
bios setup and set to not detect a keyboard, then try to boot. If the
beeps go away, get anoterh keyboard and see if it works.

fiddaman64 wrote:

> When I reboot my system beeps and hangs until I press one of the 'F'
> buttons (1 to 12)
>
> When it finally boots I am left with strange noises and any text box
> I try to fill in, such as a search engine box, are filled with a
> series of 4's (444444444444444)
>
> Any help would be appreciated
>

> I am using The latest version of Windows XP
>
> Bob

Another possibility could be just a sticking key... Check to see if
one of the '4' keys looks to be stuck down... If so, try pressing on
it a bit to see if it frees itself.