Dynamic disk questions?

July 24, 2004 1:19:36 PM

Okay, I read that a dynamic disk can be a problem with a clean install.
I've got a 120 GB basic drive which I wish to wipe and reinstall clean
with three partitions. One for XP, one for 2000, (need 2000 for
trouble-shooting other 2k installs), one for data.

I also have a dynamic 160 GB drive in this machine with two 80 gb
partitions. Not a Basic upgrade, but a dynamic disk from the start. I
realize I won't be able to access the dynamic volumes during the OS
install, but I'd like some advice about the drive after the clean
install. Will my data be safe? It's full of "stuff" that would be a big
hassle to back up and I need to know it'll still be there afterwards.
Any thoughts?

More about : dynamic disk questions

Anonymous
July 24, 2004 1:25:04 PM

Windows XP will not install on a dynamic disk. You'll have to
delete all the partitions, create a new one, format it, then install.
You'll need to backup your data first. Also, there is absolutely
no benefit of having a dynamic disk in a one drive configuration.

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Airman Thunderbird" <airman_basic@hotmail.com> wrote in message:

| Okay, I read that a dynamic disk can be a problem with a clean install.
| I've got a 120 GB basic drive which I wish to wipe and reinstall clean
| with three partitions. One for XP, one for 2000, (need 2000 for
| trouble-shooting other 2k installs), one for data.
|
| I also have a dynamic 160 GB drive in this machine with two 80 gb
| partitions. Not a Basic upgrade, but a dynamic disk from the start. I
| realize I won't be able to access the dynamic volumes during the OS
| install, but I'd like some advice about the drive after the clean
| install. Will my data be safe? It's full of "stuff" that would be a big
| hassle to back up and I need to know it'll still be there afterwards.
| Any thoughts?
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 1:46:45 PM

Guess you didn't read my post. I plan on installing on a basic disk. The
dynamic disk is a separate drive. My question is, will the dynamic disk
data be safe and readable after the new install.

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Windows XP will not install on a dynamic disk. You'll have to
> delete all the partitions, create a new one, format it, then install.
> You'll need to backup your data first. Also, there is absolutely
> no benefit of having a dynamic disk in a one drive configuration.
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

July 24, 2004 1:51:13 PM

No, you'll be unable to access anything on the dynamic disk
unless you find a third-party solution of some sort.
Visit www.google.com and perform a search.

--

| Guess you didn't read my post. I plan on installing on a basic disk. The
| dynamic disk is a separate drive. My question is, will the dynamic disk
| data be safe and readable after the new install.
|
| "Okay, I read that a dynamic disk can be a problem with a clean install.
| I've got a 120 GB basic drive which I wish to wipe and reinstall clean
| with three partitions. One for XP, one for 2000, (need 2000 for
| trouble-shooting other 2k installs), one for data.
|
| I also have a dynamic 160 GB drive in this machine with two 80 gb
| partitions. Not a Basic upgrade, but a dynamic disk from the start. I
| realize I won't be able to access the dynamic volumes during the OS
| install, but I'd like some advice about the drive after the clean
| install. Will my data be safe? It's full of "stuff" that would be a big
| hassle to back up and I need to know it'll still be there afterwards.
| Any thoughts?"
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 2:14:41 PM

"After you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, you cannot
change the dynamic volumes back to partitions. Instead, you
must delete all dynamic volumes on the disk and then use the
Convert To Basic Disk command. If you want to keep your data,
you must first back it up or move it to another volume."

Converting Basic Disks to Dynamic Disks
http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_10.htm

File Scavenger TDisk Data Recovery Program
http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Are we talking XP Home here? Because it is true that you can't install
XP Home on a dynamic disk nor can it read dynamic disks, but if we are
talking XP Pro, this is a whole different thing.

You CAN install XP Pro on a dynamic disk (I just did it a week ago).
You CAN read the data off a dynamic disk in XP Pro, though you will most
likely have to import it as it will show up as a foreign disk in Disk
Management.

If you are using XP Pro, don't worry about it. Just go for it. If you
are using XP Home, you may need to convert that disk back to a basic disk.

----
Nathan McNulty

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> "After you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, you cannot
> change the dynamic volumes back to partitions. Instead, you
> must delete all dynamic volumes on the disk and then use the
> Convert To Basic Disk command. If you want to keep your data,
> you must first back it up or move it to another volume."
>
> Converting Basic Disks to Dynamic Disks
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_10.htm
>
> File Scavenger TDisk Data Recovery Program
> http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

Anonymous
July 24, 2004 7:49:29 PM

I don't want to convert to dynamic. I only wish to access files on a
dynamic drive from a new install of 2k or XP on a different basic drive.
Is this possible or is the dynamic drive mbr or whatever held on the
original instal and thus non-transferable?

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> "After you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, you cannot
> change the dynamic volumes back to partitions. Instead, you
> must delete all dynamic volumes on the disk and then use the
> Convert To Basic Disk command. If you want to keep your data,
> you must first back it up or move it to another volume."
>
> Converting Basic Disks to Dynamic Disks
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_10.htm
>
> File Scavenger TDisk Data Recovery Program
> http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

Anonymous
July 24, 2004 7:51:55 PM

Again, what I'm trying to discover is, can a dynamic second drive be
accessed from a new install of 2k or XP Pro? I don't need to install the
OS on a dynamic drive.

Nathan McNulty wrote:

> Are we talking XP Home here? Because it is true that you can't install
> XP Home on a dynamic disk nor can it read dynamic disks, but if we are
> talking XP Pro, this is a whole different thing.
>
> You CAN install XP Pro on a dynamic disk (I just did it a week ago). You
> CAN read the data off a dynamic disk in XP Pro, though you will most
> likely have to import it as it will show up as a foreign disk in Disk
> Management.
>
> If you are using XP Pro, don't worry about it. Just go for it. If you
> are using XP Home, you may need to convert that disk back to a basic disk.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
>> "After you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, you cannot change
>> the dynamic volumes back to partitions. Instead, you must delete all
>> dynamic volumes on the disk and then use the Convert To Basic Disk
>> command. If you want to keep your data, you must first back it up or
>> move it to another volume."
>>
>> Converting Basic Disks to Dynamic Disks
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_10.htm
>> File Scavenger TDisk Data Recovery Program
>> http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 8:11:49 PM

Yes, but you'll need to go into Disk Management and select:
Import Foreign Disk(s) after installing either W2K or XP Pro.

Ref: http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread27006-1.html

--

| Again, what I'm trying to discover is, can a dynamic second drive be
| accessed from a new install of 2k or XP Pro? I don't need to install the
| OS on a dynamic drive.
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 8:40:53 PM

Hmmm, just tried a small test. The dynamic disk on my system was set up
using 2000 installed on a basic disk. Just installed XP Pro on a
different partition on the basic disk. The dynamic disk volumes were
there and accessible, no problems.

Guess the only way to tell for sure would be to GHOST my 2000 install on
the system partition, clean install and try to access the dynamic
volumes again.

BTW, the dynamic volumes are on an SATA 160GB Maxtor, split into two
equal volumes.

Afraid I don't really see the advantage of the dynamic volumes,
especially since the data seems rather fragile and unstable. Reminds me
of the old FAT16 compressed drives. One byte out of place, and POOF,
it's all gone.

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Yes, but you'll need to go into Disk Management and select:
> Import Foreign Disk(s) after installing either W2K or XP Pro.
>
> Ref: http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread27006-1.html

Anonymous
July 24, 2004 8:58:05 PM

Before Converting Disks to Dynamic

| Hmmm, just tried a small test. The dynamic disk on my system was set up
| using 2000 installed on a basic disk. Just installed XP Pro on a
| different partition on the basic disk. The dynamic disk volumes were
| there and accessible, no problems.
|
| Guess the only way to tell for sure would be to GHOST my 2000 install on
| the system partition, clean install and try to access the dynamic
| volumes again.
|
| BTW, the dynamic volumes are on an SATA 160GB Maxtor, split into two
| equal volumes.
|
| Afraid I don't really see the advantage of the dynamic volumes,
| especially since the data seems rather fragile and unstable. Reminds me
| of the old FAT16 compressed drives. One byte out of place, and POOF,
| it's all gone.
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 10:20:58 PM

Thanks. The last last link you sent answers my question.

"When you move a dynamic disk to a computer that has no dynamic disks,
the dynamic disk retains its disk group name and ID from the original
computer and uses them on the local computer."

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Before Converting Disks to Dynamic
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...

July 25, 2004 5:03:42 AM

"Airman Thunderbird" <airman_basic@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:AradnYlaxtc2c5_c4p2dnA@netdoor.com...
> Thanks. The last last link you sent answers my question.
>
> "When you move a dynamic disk to a computer that has no dynamic disks,
> the dynamic disk retains its disk group name and ID from the original
> computer and uses them on the local computer."

Glad you found the answer, Carey is dense at times, and tends to react to words he sees then makes a post, instead of actually reading what you initially posted.
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 5:03:43 AM

We all do from time to time. I know I do it on long winded posts
occasionally.

To clarify a little further on the topic though, dynamic disks can be
accessed from any computer running Windows XP Professional or any
varient of Windows 2000. It will have to be imported as a foreign disk
except in the computer it originally came from. It will keep the
original SID, but you can rewrite this value by taking over the drive.

----
Nathan McNulty

Tom wrote:
> "Airman Thunderbird" <airman_basic@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:AradnYlaxtc2c5_c4p2dnA@netdoor.com...
>
>>Thanks. The last last link you sent answers my question.
>>
>>"When you move a dynamic disk to a computer that has no dynamic disks,
>>the dynamic disk retains its disk group name and ID from the original
>>computer and uses them on the local computer."
>

> Glad you found the answer, Carey is dense at times, and tends to react to words he sees then makes a post, instead of actually reading what you initially posted.
July 25, 2004 6:39:00 AM

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message news:o 29d9BhcEHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> We all do from time to time. I know I do it on long winded posts
> occasionally.

Carey does it consistently. He reads the subject line, reacts to key words by posting incorrect links or help associations, instead of reading the post. The OP was not that long, and easily understood.
!