deleting roxio goback in repair console

Scott

Ok. I obviously screwed up by not disabling goback
before I attemtped to add another hd. i messed up the
install of a 250 gig hd so I reverted back to my 40g.
However, windows wont boot up past the initial windows
screen. Says it cant find autocheck, then give a quick
fatal message which I found has to do with goback. Have
run win cd to reinstal xp, wont let me use the 37g
patition. Then made 40g slave and 16g master. Installed
xp on 16. boot up sees both drives. disk management sees
both drives. Device mgr sees both. 40g has no letter
assigned and cant assign one. thru looking at several
things it appears that goback is the culprit. any way to
remove it and will this allow me access to data on 40? I
know, I know, dummy why didn't you back up data?

Try this instead:

Boot off your Windows XP CD, choose to install to the same
drive/partition as Windows is already on, then choose R to repair it.
See if that fixes the problem :)

----
Nathan McNulty

Scott wrote:
> Ok. I obviously screwed up by not disabling goback
> before I attemtped to add another hd. i messed up the
> install of a 250 gig hd so I reverted back to my 40g.
> However, windows wont boot up past the initial windows
> screen. Says it cant find autocheck, then give a quick
> fatal message which I found has to do with goback. Have
> run win cd to reinstal xp, wont let me use the 37g
> patition. Then made 40g slave and 16g master. Installed
> xp on 16. boot up sees both drives. disk management sees
> both drives. Device mgr sees both. 40g has no letter
> assigned and cant assign one. thru looking at several
> things it appears that goback is the culprit. any way to
> remove it and will this allow me access to data on 40? I
> know, I know, dummy why didn't you back up data?

Scott

Unfortunately when I try it tells me I can't install on
same partition. I think my culprit was the mbr was
changed because I failed to disable roxio Goback before I
tried to change drives. Can I delete all the goback files
using DOS, and would that help? Also, in recovery console
i was going to try fixboot but it said that I have a
dynamic drive, or something along those lines. WIll that
erase any possibility of retreiving my data? Ive been
working on this for four days.

You actually chose to Install to the same partition and it didn't give
you the option to Repair? Also, if something has tinkered with the MBR,
in the Recovery Console, you should do FIXMBR. I'm not sure what
FIXBOOT will do, but if we can't figure it out sooner or later, we can
try that too ;)

----
Nathan McNulty