Can't share files???

Hi all! I have Windows xp sp2 on both my machines and I have a wireless setup
consisting of Netgear wgt624 router, Netgear wg311t pci card (host) and
wg511t (laptop). I have found that I can't use windows own configuration tool
as i always get limited or no connectivity to router,however I don't have a
problem when I use the netgear config tool. Internet connection is not a prob
on either machine.
Anyway my problem is that while I can use the printer I just can't see the
host computer to share files. File and printer sharing is enabled in windows
firewall. I have tried using both windows wireless network setup wizard and
ordinary network setup wizards neither let me see my pc. Please help.
Thanx in advance

have you tried going into your control panel and clicking on performace and
mantenece then click system then you want to click the tab called computer
name as you can see it shows your computer description and full computer name
and workgroup now if you look at the workgroup on both computers and see if
they are the same if they arent make them the same by clicking on change and
change the workgroup to the same on each. If they are the same you will have
to wait for other replies that is the problem i think.

www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey

"WickEd" <WickEd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all! I have Windows xp sp2 on both my machines and I have a wireless
> setup
> consisting of Netgear wgt624 router, Netgear wg311t pci card (host) and
> wg511t (laptop). I have found that I can't use windows own configuration
> tool
> as i always get limited or no connectivity to router,however I don't have
> problem when I use the netgear config tool. Internet connection is not a
> prob
> on either machine.
> Anyway my problem is that while I can use the printer I just can't see the
> host computer to share files. File and printer sharing is enabled in
> windows
> firewall. I have tried using both windows wireless network setup wizard
> and
> ordinary network setup wizards neither let me see my pc. Please help.
> Thanx in advance

Hi Carey, Thank you for the link I actually configured my setup verbatim as
per your site prior to my first post. BTW I found your site to be very
informative, nice job there. After setting up as per site I admit I did get
to see my printer but I stil can't actually see the host computer on laptop.
It has been doing my head in for days. I really don't understand what I've
overlooked.
When setting up tcp/ip, file and printer sharing for microsoft
networks, client for microsoft networks etc in wireless network connections'
properties which do I install, client, service or protocol.

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>
> Carey
>
> "WickEd" <WickEd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all! I have Windows xp sp2 on both my machines and I have a wireless
> > setup
> > consisting of Netgear wgt624 router, Netgear wg311t pci card (host) and
> > wg511t (laptop). I have found that I can't use windows own configuration
> > tool
> > as i always get limited or no connectivity to router,however I don't have
> > problem when I use the netgear config tool. Internet connection is not a
> > prob
> > on either machine.
> > Anyway my problem is that while I can use the printer I just can't see the
> > host computer to share files. File and printer sharing is enabled in
> > windows
> > firewall. I have tried using both windows wireless network setup wizard
> > and
> > ordinary network setup wizards neither let me see my pc. Please help.
> > Thanx in advance

You install all three...

> Hi Carey, Thank you for the link I actually configured my setup verbatim
> as
> per your site prior to my first post. BTW I found your site to be very
> informative, nice job there. After setting up as per site I admit I did
> get
> to see my printer but I stil can't actually see the host computer on
> laptop.
> It has been doing my head in for days. I really don't understand what I've
> overlooked.
> When setting up tcp/ip, file and printer sharing for microsoft
> networks, client for microsoft networks etc in wireless network
> connections'
> properties which do I install, client, service or protocol.
>
> "Carey Holzman" wrote:
>
>> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "WickEd" <WickEd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all! I have Windows xp sp2 on both my machines and I have a wireless
>> > setup
>> > consisting of Netgear wgt624 router, Netgear wg311t pci card (host) and
>> > wg511t (laptop). I have found that I can't use windows own
>> > configuration
>> > tool
>> > as i always get limited or no connectivity to router,however I don't
>> > have
>> > problem when I use the netgear config tool. Internet connection is not
>> > prob
>> > on either machine.
>> > Anyway my problem is that while I can use the printer I just can't see
>> > the
>> > host computer to share files. File and printer sharing is enabled in
>> > windows
>> > firewall. I have tried using both windows wireless network setup wizard
>> > and
>> > ordinary network setup wizards neither let me see my pc. Please help.
>> > Thanx in advance

Sussed it, I was only using wep this time around but had tried wpa before
applying settings from website www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm but it didn't
work. This time around after applying settings from website wep didn't work,
wpa does. If you're having probs try above website. Thanks all.

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> You install all three...
>

> "WickEd" <WickEd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Carey, Thank you for the link I actually configured my setup verbatim
> > as
> > per your site prior to my first post. BTW I found your site to be very
> > informative, nice job there. After setting up as per site I admit I did
> > get
> > to see my printer but I stil can't actually see the host computer on
> > laptop.
> > It has been doing my head in for days. I really don't understand what I've
> > overlooked.
> > When setting up tcp/ip, file and printer sharing for microsoft
> > networks, client for microsoft networks etc in wireless network
> > connections'
> > properties which do I install, client, service or protocol.
> >
> > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
> >
> >> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
> >>
> >> Carey
> >>
> >> "WickEd" <WickEd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Thanks for the update. Please sign my guestbook at www.careyholzman.com (the
link is in the lower-left corner)

Thanks!

> Sussed it, I was only using wep this time around but had tried wpa before
> applying settings from website www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm but it
> didn't
> work. This time around after applying settings from website wep didn't
> work,
> wpa does. If you're having probs try above website. Thanks all.
>
> "Carey Holzman" wrote:
>
>> You install all three...
>>

>> "WickEd" <WickEd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Carey, Thank you for the link I actually configured my setup
>> > verbatim
>> > as
>> > per your site prior to my first post. BTW I found your site to be very
>> > informative, nice job there. After setting up as per site I admit I did
>> > get
>> > to see my printer but I stil can't actually see the host computer on
>> > laptop.
>> > It has been doing my head in for days. I really don't understand what
>> > I've
>> > overlooked.
>> > When setting up tcp/ip, file and printer sharing for microsoft
>> > networks, client for microsoft networks etc in wireless network
>> > connections'
>> > properties which do I install, client, service or protocol.

Huhhh!!! Spoke too soon. Getting p*&&£d off now. Switched on laptop again
today, opened my network places lo and behold no host computer again. Been
fine for last few days, printer is still available though. Why does the host
PC keep disappearing??? Host is left running 24/7 apart from reboots, laptop
isn't.
As before the internet connection is fine. Please help