P4P800-E Deluxe all USB ports stopped working?? Help!

Everything has been working fine then all in one shot none of my USB ports
work at all.

I looked in device manager and it shows all the USB ports working properly
with no Yellow exclimation marks.

I did notice one thing though, My other computer, ASUS P4T533 has a
additional USB controller in device manager "Asustek USB Enahanced Host
Controller".
This is not showing up in my Device Manager in the P4P800-Deluxe.

Could this be my problem? If so, how do I get it back?

Please help! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

NickM

"jlcarriere" <jlcarriere@charter.net> wrote in message
> Everything has been working fine then all in one shot none of my USB ports
> work at all.
>
> I looked in device manager and it shows all the USB ports working properly
> with no Yellow exclimation marks.
>
> I did notice one thing though, My other computer, ASUS P4T533 has a
> additional USB controller in device manager "Asustek USB Enahanced Host
> Controller".
> This is not showing up in my Device Manager in the P4P800-Deluxe.
>
> Could this be my problem? If so, how do I get it back?
>
> Please help! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

In Windows XP Pro SP2's Device Manager on my P4P800-E Deluxe based system,
under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers key there are 10 entries as
follows:

Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Standard PCI to USB Host Controller
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

There is no sign of the AsusTek controller entry that you mention.

Possible causes could be:

1 a damaged USB cable if you are having difficulty with a single device
which you've tried on a number of ports, or equally in this scenario the
connected device might be faulty. Try another known working USB cable
and/or device. You've probably taken this step already.

2 a Windows automatic update has been applied which is causing the
problem. Try and identify the culprit and uninstall it, or revert to a
previous system state at a time when the USB ports were all working using
System Restore. Backup any important data first.

3 You have some kind of virus or Trojan activity present on your system
which is disabling the services. Check the state of which Windows services
are enabled at start-up and also check which are active. Run a decent virus
scanner and spyware detection programs to try and eradicate the problem. I
don't know of any specific viruses that would do this but you never know
these days.

4 Your USB ports are for some reason not supplying power to external
devices - very unlikely that all ports would fail simultaneously though.

5 Something has changed in your PC's BIOS settings. Reset the BIOS
values to their default settings and try again (after making a note of any
key settings that will need to be re-applied). Power spikes can sometimes
cause the BIOS settings to become corrupt - as I know only too well from a
slightly alarming experience two weeks ago when I was in the middle of
recording a band with Cubase SX at a live event when the power went off and
back on again rather quickly because the lighting rig tripped the mains
power out momentarily. The PC wouldn't boot. A quick side panel removal
and BIOS reset thankfully brought the system back on line. My own fault. I
should have taken a UPS with me :) More importantly, the attached Firewire
multi-channel sound card wasn't damaged.

6 You have a faulty board and it should be replaced. I think this
unlikely though unless a device that has been plugged in at some point has
shorted the 5v power supply and possibly blown a fusible link on the board -
most boards have some form of protection like this to prevent damage to
connected peripherals (very small and hard to spot unless you know exactly
which board component to look for and can be similar in appearance to one of
the tiny surface mounted resistors).

Try and see if any USB port will operate outside Windows perhaps by
attaching a bootable external hard drive or memory stick (USB drive) and
reviewing whether or not the device is detected at POST

Check your internal power connection to the board and make sure no pins have
worked loose from the multi-pin power plug which 'might' cause power not to
be present on your USB ports

Try booting the PC in Safe Mode and checking whether your USB device is
detected. This will probably be a bit hit and miss I'm afraid as Safe Mode
may cause the device not to be detected anyway depending on any specific
drivers being needed.

If you have a spare hard disk lying round that is big enough to take Windows
XP, you could perform a clean OS install on this and see what happens

As a last resort if you have any way of borrowing an identical board and
attaching all your drives etc.. to it, see if the problem still exists.
Obviously if the problem disappears it is more than likely to be a board
related issue, but not necessarily hardware based. It could still be BIOS
related and resetting or reflashing may cure the issue.

FWIW though, my gut feeling is that I suspect your problem is OS related
and/or driver related. XP SP2 can sometimes have unexpected effects on
hardware - something I have also experienced once or twice with a particular
Gigabyte board one of my clients has. If you have just updated to SP2, I
would say that it's almost certainly caused the problem you have and you
might need to update your BIOS to resolve the issue anyway.

HTH

Regards

Nick

"jlcarriere" <jlcarriere@charter.net> schreef in bericht
> Everything has been working fine then all in one shot none of my USB ports
> work at all.
>
> I looked in device manager and it shows all the USB ports working properly
> with no Yellow exclimation marks.
>
> I did notice one thing though, My other computer, ASUS P4T533 has a
> additional USB controller in device manager "Asustek USB Enahanced Host
> Controller".
> This is not showing up in my Device Manager in the P4P800-Deluxe.
>
> Could this be my problem? If so, how do I get it back?
>
> Please help! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Do you have USB 2.0 enabled in the bios?
Have you installed drivers for USB 2.0 (DONT DO THAT IN XP!!!)?

Kind regards,

Hasj Pee

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have a feeling I may have a
faulty Mainboard. The board is only a few months old so I should be able to
RMA it. Damed hassle for sure. First I will try some trouble shooting.
None of the USB ports are getting power to any of my USB devices.
Completely dead.

Thanks again for your help Nick.

Jeff

"Nickm" <nickm@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> happens
>
> As a last resort if you have any way of borrowing an identical board and
> attaching all your drives etc.. to it, see if the problem still exists.
> Obviously if the problem disappears it is more than likely to be a board
> related issue, but not necessarily hardware based. It could still be BIOS
> related and resetting or reflashing may cure the issue.
>
> FWIW though, my gut feeling is that I suspect your problem is OS related
> and/or driver related. XP SP2 can sometimes have unexpected effects on
> hardware - something I have also experienced once or twice with a
> particular Gigabyte board one of my clients has. If you have just updated
> to SP2, I would say that it's almost certainly caused the problem you have
> and you might need to update your BIOS to resolve the issue anyway.

Paul

Splendid

In article <NCRDd.1753$sk5.1329@fe06.lga>, "jlcarriere"
<jlcarriere@charter.net> wrote:

> Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have a feeling I may have a
> faulty Mainboard. The board is only a few months old so I should be able to
> RMA it. Damed hassle for sure. First I will try some trouble shooting.
> None of the USB ports are getting power to any of my USB devices.
> Completely dead.
>
> Thanks again for your help Nick.
>
> Jeff

Do your Device Manager entries match what Nick showed in his post ?
If you don't have "Root Hubs", you won't be getting any power.
The Root Hub provides the power (at least, deleting USB entries
in Device Manager, and getting my Root Hubs back, put power back
on one of my dead ports). Don't give up on the hardware , until at
least trying a clean install of SP1 - then see if the USB ports are
still dead. If you have a spare disk, try a test install with that.

Paul

> [...]
> > happens
> >
> > As a last resort if you have any way of borrowing an identical board and
> > attaching all your drives etc.. to it, see if the problem still exists.
> > Obviously if the problem disappears it is more than likely to be a board
> > related issue, but not necessarily hardware based. It could still be BIOS
> > related and resetting or reflashing may cure the issue.
> >
> > FWIW though, my gut feeling is that I suspect your problem is OS related
> > and/or driver related. XP SP2 can sometimes have unexpected effects on
> > hardware - something I have also experienced once or twice with a
> > particular Gigabyte board one of my clients has. If you have just updated
> > to SP2, I would say that it's almost certainly caused the problem you have
> > and you might need to update your BIOS to resolve the issue anyway.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I have the EXACT same board with the EXACT same problem.
Went to get a cup of coffee, came back and BAM all USB ports dead.
I have sp2 and all has been fine with it for months.
I have everything listed properly as the above poster mentioned.
I doubt it is sp2 related since even before windows boots all my USB
devices used to light up,
(ie card reader, intellemouse, pocketPCbase) but they don't anymore.
I thought maybe something could be wrong with my PowerSupply, I heard
failing PwrSupplies
could cause weird things, but Asus Probe software says all is fine and
all voltages are right on the money.
Please, if you or anyone else finds an answer to this, Please,
Please post it. As I am desperate.
Don't think I can return it to NewEgg or Asus as I no longer have the
box or anything. (It has been almost a year)
I will try restoring to an earlier date using winxp "go back" and see
if that works.
If so I will post. If it is some sort of virus I'm not sure the "go
back" method would fix that.
I will also reflash my bios to rule out a corrupted bios which I think
may also be more likely the problem.
ALSO:
Maybe this will help: I also noticed my clock (in windows) is slow.
could this be powersupply related?
is it a clue to the USB issue? Just thought I'd mention it.
Thank You,
RICK