Which motherboard is ASUS' Flagship for Intel P4?

dm

I want to build a Itel P4 system and now use ASUS AMD A7N8X Deluxe
which I'm very pleased with. Now I want to go for a high end P4
machine but lack knowledge as to which ASUS mobo to buy. Which
motherboard is ASUS' Flagship for Intel P4? I have heard new bus
speeds @800 FBS so I want to start a new system with those in goal.
Also what would be good ram to throw in? What are things to look for
when selecting DDR Memory for my P4 project?
Corsair is tops I heard but I cant afford that. Are there others that
can match corsair but lower prices?

many Thanks

Paul

Splendid

In article <3pftt0dhvmugg8t1bevr0au60grplg0p1e@4ax.com>, dm
<myemail@email.net> wrote:

> I want to build a Itel P4 system and now use ASUS AMD A7N8X Deluxe
> which I'm very pleased with. Now I want to go for a high end P4
> machine but lack knowledge as to which ASUS mobo to buy. Which
> motherboard is ASUS' Flagship for Intel P4? I have heard new bus
> speeds @800 FBS so I want to start a new system with those in goal.
> Also what would be good ram to throw in? What are things to look for
> when selecting DDR Memory for my P4 project?
> Corsair is tops I heard but I cant afford that. Are there others that
> can match corsair but lower prices?
>
> many Thanks

There are some handy charts here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-13.html

Clock rate is everything, and the fastest Pentium I see in
some of the charts, is a 3.8GHz Pentium with FSB800. There
is also a 3.46GHz Pentium with FSB1066, but in benchmarks
that are even moderately CPU dependent, the 3.46 will be
beaten by processors with faster clocks.

To get a motherboard that supports both FSB800 and FSB1066,
buy this board. $246 at Newegg.

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket775/p5ad2-e-p/overview.htm

A couple of processor choices for you, at the high end:

This one is a Gallatin 0.13u, which uses the same geometry
transistors as a Northwood. (Power dissipation 111 watts.)

3.46 GHz Extreme Edition 1066MHz FSB, 512KB L2, 2MB L3 Cache $1069

This one is Prescott based 90nm and a bargain at $795.
(Power dissipation 115 watts.)

Intel Pentium 4 570J 3.8 GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 $795

The benchmarks don't suggest that exotic DDR2 RAM helps a lot,
but with the expensive processor, what the hell :)

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=&model=P5AD2-E+Premium&submit=Go

Some PC2-5300 CL=5 CT6464AA667 is $152 for 512MB. Use two
matched sticks for dual channel.

Some PC2-5300 CL=4 BL6464AA664 is $170 for 512MB. That would
buy you a few percentage points more performance. Two modules
will set you back $340.

A matched pair of Corsair is only $302 for two modules here.
This is PC2-5400 CL=4.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-539&depa=0

So, if we go with the P5AD2-E, a 3.8Ghz processor, and the
Corsair, your basic high end system will cost $1343.

Round out your system with a $650 video card. Brings the
total to $2000 for the important part, plus a few bucks
more for a decent power supply to run it all.

http://www.bfgtech.com/6800GT_PCIX.html

So, the above motherboard can be the basis of an expensive
system, if that is what you want to build.

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <nospam-0801050145540001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
(Paul) wrote:

> In article <3pftt0dhvmugg8t1bevr0au60grplg0p1e@4ax.com>, dm
> <myemail@email.net> wrote:
>
> > I want to build a Itel P4 system and now use ASUS AMD A7N8X Deluxe
> > which I'm very pleased with. Now I want to go for a high end P4
> > machine but lack knowledge as to which ASUS mobo to buy. Which
> > motherboard is ASUS' Flagship for Intel P4? I have heard new bus
> > speeds @800 FBS so I want to start a new system with those in goal.
> > Also what would be good ram to throw in? What are things to look for
> > when selecting DDR Memory for my P4 project?
> > Corsair is tops I heard but I cant afford that. Are there others that
> > can match corsair but lower prices?
> >
> > many Thanks

<<snip>>

> So, if we go with the P5AD2-E, a 3.8Ghz processor, and the
> Corsair, your basic high end system will cost $1343.
>
> Round out your system with a $650 video card. Brings the
> total to $2000 for the important part, plus a few bucks
> more for a decent power supply to run it all.

<<snip>>

> HTH,
> Paul

Now, let us try a less expensive system. This motherboard is
older technology - S478 processor, DDR memory, AGP video slot
versus S775 processor, DDR2 memory, PCI-E video on the P5AD2-E.

P4C800-E $180
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-464&depa=0

2x512 CAS3 memory CT6464Z40B DDR PC3200 2x$80 = $160 or
2x512 CAS2 memory BL6464Z402 DDR PC3200 2x$124 = $248
(You don't get $84 more performance either, so stick with CAS3.)

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=P4C800-E+Deluxe&submit=Go

A 3.2GHz processor looks like the sweet spot.

Intel P4 3.2E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache Retail $221
Intel P4 3.4E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache Retail $315

Your base system costs $561.

There is a 6800 Ultra AGP version here for $489, for a gaming
system total of $1050, roughly half the price of the other
system.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-196&depa=0

HTH,
Paul

David

Paul wrote...
> Now, let us try a less expensive system. This motherboard is
> older technology - S478 processor, DDR memory, AGP video slot
> versus S775 processor, DDR2 memory, PCI-E video on the P5AD2-E.
>
> P4C800-E $180
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-464&depa=0
>
> 2x512 CAS3 memory CT6464Z40B DDR PC3200 2x$80 = $160 or
> 2x512 CAS2 memory BL6464Z402 DDR PC3200 2x$124 = $248
> (You don't get $84 more performance either, so stick with CAS3.)
>
> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=P4C800-E+Deluxe&submit=Go
>
> A 3.2GHz processor looks like the sweet spot.
>
> Intel P4 3.2E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache Retail $221
> Intel P4 3.4E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache Retail $315
>
> Your base system costs $561.
>
> There is a 6800 Ultra AGP version here for $489, for a gaming
> system total of $1050, roughly half the price of the other
> system.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-196&depa=0

I like your assessment. I'm also mulling through the Asus P4
motherboards as I don't need every cutting edge bell & whistle.

I'm looking at P5GD2 Deluxe with at least a P4 3.0 GHz 800MHz FSB
and a 256MB PCIe video card. What do you think? Go for it or consider
another board.

Davïd
Greenville, NC

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

Get an AMD64 and you will also get a future upgrade path, and better
performance.

I would describe the top end P4 offerings as disappointing at the moment -
they lack bang for buck, run hot too.

Mercury wrote:
> Get an AMD64 and you will also get a future upgrade path, and better
> performance.
>
> I would describe the top end P4 offerings as disappointing at the moment -
> they lack bang for buck, run hot too.
>
> "dm" <myemail@email.net> wrote in message
>
>>I want to build a Itel P4 system and now use ASUS AMD A7N8X Deluxe
>>which I'm very pleased with. Now I want to go for a high end P4
>>machine but lack knowledge as to which ASUS mobo to buy. Which
>>motherboard is ASUS' Flagship for Intel P4? I have heard new bus
>>speeds @800 FBS so I want to start a new system with those in goal.
>>Also what would be good ram to throw in? What are things to look for
>>when selecting DDR Memory for my P4 project?
>>Corsair is tops I heard but I cant afford that. Are there others that
>>can match corsair but lower prices?
>>
>>many Thanks

That is what kept me away from Intel. I wanted something fast but the
Prescott runs too hot. I settled for an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ with no
regrets. I have the A8N-SLI BTW.

Ron