Opinions: Asus P4P800 Deluxe

Anybody have any experience or opnions with the Asus P4P800 Deluxe
motherboard? I just ordered it. To replace my P4PE-X board. I hope I made
the right decision. Would I have been better off paying $20 and getting the
Asus P4P800-E Deluxe board?

Jody Sleath wrote:
> Anybody have any experience or opnions with the Asus P4P800 Deluxe
> motherboard? I just ordered it. To replace my P4PE-X board. I hope I
> made the right decision. Would I have been better off paying $20 and
> getting the Asus P4P800-E Deluxe board?

I had a P4P800-E - nothing but problems with 2-2-2-5 dual ddr setup and a
prescott P43.0GHz.

"JohnR" <repro007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Jody Sleath wrote:
>> Anybody have any experience or opnions with the Asus P4P800 Deluxe
>> motherboard? I just ordered it. To replace my P4PE-X board. I hope I
>> made the right decision. Would I have been better off paying $20 and
>> getting the Asus P4P800-E Deluxe board?
>>
> I had a P4P800-E - nothing but problems with 2-2-2-5 dual ddr setup and a
> prescott P43.0GHz.

I have the P4P800-E Deluxe and a Prescott 3.0E with 1gig Corsair XMS and
couldn't be happier.

Good thing I didn't order it then?
I was comparing the boards and I could only find a difference of the E
version has better audio. o_O
"JohnR" <repro007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Jody Sleath wrote:
>> Anybody have any experience or opnions with the Asus P4P800 Deluxe
>> motherboard? I just ordered it. To replace my P4PE-X board. I hope I
>> made the right decision. Would I have been better off paying $20 and
>> getting the Asus P4P800-E Deluxe board?
>>
> I had a P4P800-E - nothing but problems with 2-2-2-5 dual ddr setup and a
> prescott P43.0GHz.

Paul

Splendid

In article <w5CDd.205674$Np3.8653620@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, "Jody
Sleath" <jodypellerin@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

> Good thing I didn't order it then?
> I was comparing the boards and I could only find a difference of the E
> version has better audio. o_O

http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=nospam-1607042309040001%40192.168.1.177

The audio is about equal, due to the fact that the eight channel
mode prevents the Aux connector from working. If you have a TV
card, that uses the Aux connector on the motherboard, then the Realtek
sound would have to be set to six channel anyway. On the AD1985,
I'd be interested to see if you hear the odd click come through
the speakers, because that is something I can hear right now
on my AD1985. I haven't managed to trace down where it is coming
from - it isn't likely interference, but could be a driver issue
of some sort.

The real difference between the boards would be in the RAID
controller. A quick Google shows some complaints about the
Via6410 CPU utilization and performance in RAID mode. It
suggests the 6410 relies more on software for its RAID functions
than some other controllers.

The Promise 20378, on the other hand, has that annoying combo
of two SATA ports and one IDE cable. Which is fine if you want
to RAID a couple of SATA drives. But how many people just
happen to have an IDE drive and a SATA drive they want to
RAID together ?

Both the VIA 6410 and the Promise 20378 don't do ATAPI, so
you cannot hang CD/DVD drives off those chips. You can place
single hard drives on there, but I would be wary about
whether a drive placed on those controllers, can be easily
moved from the RAID chip to the Intel Southbridge interface.
It is something I'd want to test somehow, before putting valuable
data on the drive. (I had something funny happen to my first
partition on a drive, when moving from 20378 to Southbridge,
and that is why I mention it. RAID chips and their firmware,
like to reserve a sector to store RAID ID info. Since I was
cloning the drive at the time, no data was lost, and I just
started over again.)

As far as your RAM goes, I wouldn't expect any surprises
putting RAM on there. There might be the odd stick that
isn't happy on the 865PE, but to a much lesser extent than
say on an Nforce2 board.

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=1828&p=11
http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=1831&p=9

Paul

> "JohnR" <repro007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Jody Sleath wrote:
> >> Anybody have any experience or opnions with the Asus P4P800 Deluxe
> >> motherboard? I just ordered it. To replace my P4PE-X board. I hope I
> >> made the right decision. Would I have been better off paying $20 and
> >> getting the Asus P4P800-E Deluxe board?
> >>
> > I had a P4P800-E - nothing but problems with 2-2-2-5 dual ddr setup and a
> > prescott P43.0GHz.

You've made the good choice, I've bought one few days ago and I can see
great difference with the dual channel ram system. The 'asus tuner ' windows
utility allow you to overclock and tweak many parameters "live" while
running Windows...
Happy New Year.
MAN BIORS
FRANCE

"Jody Sleath" <jodypellerin@NOSPAMgmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
news: IqBDd.205648$Np3.8651483@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> Anybody have any experience or opnions with the Asus P4P800 Deluxe
> motherboard? I just ordered it. To replace my P4PE-X board. I hope I made
> the right decision. Would I have been better off paying $20 and getting
> the Asus P4P800-E Deluxe board?

Thanks. :) I have a P4 2.8E 800FSB with 2 512 Micron PC3200 DDR right now,
and this board just can't handle it.

"Jody Sleath" <jodypellerin@NOSPAMgmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news: lUBDd.205666$Np3.8653570@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> Thanks. :) I have a P4 2.8E 800FSB with 2 512 Micron PC3200 DDR right now, and this board just can't handle it.

well, many friends in my country had compatibility problems with Asus Mobo

But P4P800 is less sensitive than P4PE (a nigntmare)

Therefore you are going to play the Russian roulette ...

IF your mem is not working try another origin. Kingston and corsair work.
You should obtain a replacement from your dealer if you do it quickly.

The major reason of the failures are the SPD features. They are often too optimistic !
Therefore you overclock without knowing it !
Before returning your mem, try to lower the CAS adjustments, you could be surprised !

Anyway, the ones which work without tweaking are obviously the best.

Good luck !

Mike from France