synaptic touch pad

does anyone know how to turn off the tap-to-select
feature of the (laptop) touch pad in windows xp. I want
to only use the mouse to select items, because I
accidentally keep bumping the touch pad and making
selections.
thanks, wade.
4 answers Last reply
More about synaptic touch

    Hi Wade -

    Some laptops have the Synaptics touchpad controls in Control Panel | Mouse.
    Have a look there... perhaps there's a tab labeled "Tapping". My Vaio has
    selections under the Tapping tab to disable the feature entirely or to
    disable it only when typing (with a delay to re-enable it a fixed number of
    seconds after the last keystroke).

    Jef

    "wade" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | does anyone know how to turn off the tap-to-select
    | feature of the (laptop) touch pad in windows xp. I want
    | to only use the mouse to select items, because I
    | accidentally keep bumping the touch pad and making
    | selections.
    | thanks, wade.

    You'll have to open the BIOS and disable it.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "wade" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

    | does anyone know how to turn off the tap-to-select
    | feature of the (laptop) touch pad in windows xp. I want
    | to only use the mouse to select items, because I
    | accidentally keep bumping the touch pad and making
    | selections.
    | thanks, wade.

    "wade" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > does anyone know how to turn off the tap-to-select
    > feature of the (laptop) touch pad in windows xp. I want
    > to only use the mouse to select items, because I
    > accidentally keep bumping the touch pad and making
    > selections.
    > thanks, wade.

    Wade my compat laptop allows changing the pad by going to the Control
    Panel and clicking on the mouse icon. The tab for your touch pad
    allows many changes. Of course we may have different versions of the
    software. You may want to visit your laptop's support site to see if
    there is newer version of the software too.

    Bquinn

    There are three different areas people have mentioned or hinted at that
    I would look at. First place I would look would be under the Mouse
    Options in the Control Panel. Second place I would look is within any
    software that was installed with the touchpad such as a touchpad
    monitor, etc. Finally, I would look in the BIOS.

    I would also check your user's manual or the Help section that came with
    your computer. Most OEM's such as Dell, HP, and Compaq add their own
    little Help files that will tell you how to do things.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Bquinn wrote:
    > "wade" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>does anyone know how to turn off the tap-to-select
    >>feature of the (laptop) touch pad in windows xp. I want
    >>to only use the mouse to select items, because I
    >>accidentally keep bumping the touch pad and making
    >>selections.
    >>thanks, wade.
    >

    > Wade my compat laptop allows changing the pad by going to the Control
    > Panel and clicking on the mouse icon. The tab for your touch pad
    > allows many changes. Of course we may have different versions of the
    > software. You may want to visit your laptop's support site to see if
    > there is newer version of the software too.
    >
    > Bquinn

Hardware Microsoft Touch Pad Windows XP