synaptic touch pad

does anyone know how to turn off the tap-to-select
feature of the (laptop) touch pad in windows xp. I want
to only use the mouse to select items, because I
accidentally keep bumping the touch pad and making
selections.
thanks, wade.

Hi Wade -

Some laptops have the Synaptics touchpad controls in Control Panel | Mouse.
Have a look there... perhaps there's a tab labeled "Tapping". My Vaio has
selections under the Tapping tab to disable the feature entirely or to
disable it only when typing (with a delay to re-enable it a fixed number of
seconds after the last keystroke).

Jef

"wade" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| does anyone know how to turn off the tap-to-select
| feature of the (laptop) touch pad in windows xp. I want
| to only use the mouse to select items, because I
| accidentally keep bumping the touch pad and making
| selections.
| thanks, wade.

You'll have to open the BIOS and disable it.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"wade" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

| does anyone know how to turn off the tap-to-select
| feature of the (laptop) touch pad in windows xp. I want
| to only use the mouse to select items, because I
| accidentally keep bumping the touch pad and making
| selections.
| thanks, wade.

"wade" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> does anyone know how to turn off the tap-to-select
> feature of the (laptop) touch pad in windows xp. I want
> to only use the mouse to select items, because I
> accidentally keep bumping the touch pad and making
> selections.
> thanks, wade.

Wade my compat laptop allows changing the pad by going to the Control
Panel and clicking on the mouse icon. The tab for your touch pad
allows many changes. Of course we may have different versions of the
software. You may want to visit your laptop's support site to see if
there is newer version of the software too.

Bquinn

There are three different areas people have mentioned or hinted at that
I would look at. First place I would look would be under the Mouse
Options in the Control Panel. Second place I would look is within any
software that was installed with the touchpad such as a touchpad
monitor, etc. Finally, I would look in the BIOS.

I would also check your user's manual or the Help section that came with
your computer. Most OEM's such as Dell, HP, and Compaq add their own
little Help files that will tell you how to do things.

----
Nathan McNulty

Bquinn wrote:
> "wade" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>does anyone know how to turn off the tap-to-select
>>feature of the (laptop) touch pad in windows xp. I want
>>to only use the mouse to select items, because I
>>accidentally keep bumping the touch pad and making
>>selections.
>>thanks, wade.
>

> Wade my compat laptop allows changing the pad by going to the Control
> Panel and clicking on the mouse icon. The tab for your touch pad
> allows many changes. Of course we may have different versions of the
> software. You may want to visit your laptop's support site to see if
> there is newer version of the software too.
>
> Bquinn

TRENDING THREADS