Wireless Network Speed

I have a wireless network driven by a NetgearDG834G router /modem /access
point on a desktop and a Toshiba laptop with integrated Intel 2200BG
wireless adaptor. It is taking approx 2 minutes to copy a file of 8 mb from
desktop to laptop - that is 64million bits in 120 sec or 533,333 bits/sec.
My network monitor on the Toshiba tells me the link is working at 24 mbps.
This is a big discrepency. How is it explained?

24 mbps is what driver ( miniport ) return to application level , but it
know nothing about
file system speed above it. So that speed it can receive the data , not
speed the data can be written
to the disk
Arkady