Drives not recognized by XP

I posted a this message earlier today under general about how I accidently upgraded my 2K to XP I have a 60G hard drive with 7 partitions and a 13G hard drive with two partitions. XP recognizes and allows access to all the partitions on the 13G drive. It will only recognize and allow access to 2 partitions on the 60G. The other gives me a message drive not accessable, access denied. Because of this I can't download files, can't delete files.

What is driving me crazy is that it allowed me to install another copy of XP on my C drive which I have done. But I can't access the drive itself. Any suggestions on how to obtain access. Re-installing doesn't appear to be the solution? Any help someone could give would be greatly appreciated. This is seriously affecting my small business.

see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

"Cecelia" <Cecelia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| I posted a this message earlier today under general about
how I accidently upgraded my 2K to XP I have a 60G hard
drive with 7 partitions and a 13G hard drive with two
partitions. XP recognizes and allows access to all the
partitions on the 13G drive. It will only recognize and
allow access to 2 partitions on the 60G. The other gives me
a message drive not accessable, access denied. Because of
this I can't download files, can't delete files.

| What is driving me crazy is that it allowed me to install
another copy of XP on my C drive which I have done. But I
can't access the drive itself. Any suggestions on how to
obtain access. Re-installing doesn't appear to be the
solution? Any help someone could give would be greatly
appreciated. This is seriously affecting my small business.

Thanks Jim. Unfortunatly when I right click the c drive and choose properties there is no security option. If I try to open I get access denied. I do not even get into c drive. Can you think of anything else?

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

> "Cecelia" <Cecelia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> | I posted a this message earlier today under general about
> how I accidently upgraded my 2K to XP I have a 60G hard
> drive with 7 partitions and a 13G hard drive with two
> partitions. XP recognizes and allows access to all the
> partitions on the 13G drive. It will only recognize and
> allow access to 2 partitions on the 60G. The other gives me
> a message drive not accessable, access denied. Because of
> this I can't download files, can't delete files.
> |
> | What is driving me crazy is that it allowed me to install
> another copy of XP on my C drive which I have done. But I
> can't access the drive itself. Any suggestions on how to
> obtain access. Re-installing doesn't appear to be the
> solution? Any help someone could give would be greatly
> appreciated. This is seriously affecting my small business.

You missed a part of that ;)

You need to boot into Safe Mode by pressing F8 before Windows loads and
right after the POST screen. This will give you an option and choose
Safe Mode. If you can't get the timing down, just press the restart
button while the Windows logo is showing and it will claim the startup
failed and offer you the options. Once in Safe Mode, follow the directions:

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and
then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message
(if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if
you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.
If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the
Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with
permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take
ownership of.
6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings
that you want for the folder and its contents.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

----
Nathan McNulty

Cecelia wrote:
> Thanks Jim. Unfortunatly when I right click the c drive and choose properties there is no security option. If I try to open I get access denied. I do not even get into c drive. Can you think of anything else?
>
> "Jim Macklin" wrote:
>

>>see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
>>

>>--
>>The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>>But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>

>>"Cecelia" <Cecelia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>message
>>| I posted a this message earlier today under general about
>>how I accidently upgraded my 2K to XP I have a 60G hard
>>drive with 7 partitions and a 13G hard drive with two
>>partitions. XP recognizes and allows access to all the
>>partitions on the 13G drive. It will only recognize and
>>allow access to 2 partitions on the 60G. The other gives me
>>a message drive not accessable, access denied. Because of
>>this I can't download files, can't delete files.
>>|
>>| What is driving me crazy is that it allowed me to install
>>another copy of XP on my C drive which I have done. But I
>>can't access the drive itself. Any suggestions on how to
>>obtain access. Re-installing doesn't appear to be the
>>solution? Any help someone could give would be greatly
>>appreciated. This is seriously affecting my small business.

Thanks for the follow-up Nathan.

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
| You missed a part of that ;)
|
| You need to boot into Safe Mode by pressing F8 before
Windows loads and
| right after the POST screen. This will give you an option
and choose
| Safe Mode. If you can't get the timing down, just press
the restart
| button while the Windows logo is showing and it will claim
the startup
| failed and offer you the options. Once in Safe Mode,
follow the directions:

| To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:
|
| 1. Right-click the folder that you want to take
ownership of, and
| then click Properties.
| 2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the
Security message
| (if one appears).
| 3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
| 4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click
Administrator if
| you are logged in as Administrator, or click the
Administrators group.
| If you want to take ownership of the contents of that
folder, select the
| Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
| 5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the
following message:
directory
| folder name. Do you want to replace the directory
permissions with
| permissions granting you Full Control?
|
| All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
| Note folder name is the name of the folder that you
want to take
| ownership of.
| 6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and
security settings
| that you want for the folder and its contents.
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
|
| ----
| Nathan McNulty
|

| Cecelia wrote:
| > Thanks Jim. Unfortunatly when I right click the c drive
and choose properties there is no security option. If I try
to open I get access denied. I do not even get into c drive.
Can you think of anything else?

| > "Jim Macklin" wrote:
| >

| >>see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
| >>

| >>--
| >>The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
| >>But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| >>

| >>"Cecelia" <Cecelia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
| >>message

about
| >>how I accidently upgraded my 2K to XP I have a 60G hard
| >>drive with 7 partitions and a 13G hard drive with two
| >>partitions. XP recognizes and allows access to all the
| >>partitions on the 13G drive. It will only recognize and
| >>allow access to 2 partitions on the 60G. The other gives
me
| >>a message drive not accessable, access denied. Because
of
| >>this I can't download files, can't delete files.
| >>|

Cecelia wrote:

> I posted a this message earlier today under general about how I accidently upgraded my 2K to XP I have a 60G hard drive with 7 partitions and a 13G hard drive with two partitions. XP recognizes and allows access to all the partitions on the 13G drive. It will only recognize and allow access to 2 partitions on the 60G. The other gives me a message drive not accessable, access denied. Because of this I can't download files, can't delete files.
>
> What is driving me crazy is that it allowed me to install another copy of XP on my C drive which I have done. But I can't access the drive itself. Any suggestions on how to obtain access. Re-installing doesn't appear to be the solution? Any help someone could give would be greatly appreciated. This is seriously affecting my small business.

try formatting it.

Juan,
I would have done that earlier, but I need the files that are associated with the hard drive. Any other suggestions?

"Juan Karlo de Guzman" wrote:

> Cecelia wrote:
>
> > I posted a this message earlier today under general about how I accidently upgraded my 2K to XP I have a 60G hard drive with 7 partitions and a 13G hard drive with two partitions. XP recognizes and allows access to all the partitions on the 13G drive. It will only recognize and allow access to 2 partitions on the 60G. The other gives me a message drive not accessable, access denied. Because of this I can't download files, can't delete files.
> >
> > What is driving me crazy is that it allowed me to install another copy of XP on my C drive which I have done. But I can't access the drive itself. Any suggestions on how to obtain access. Re-installing doesn't appear to be the solution? Any help someone could give would be greatly appreciated. This is seriously affecting my small business.
>
> try formatting it.

My pleasure :)

----
Nathan McNulty

Jim Macklin wrote:
> Thanks for the follow-up Nathan.

peter

Hi,

If you are able to boot as you say but are not able to access some files it
might be a file ownership issue.
Note, file ownership and permissions supersede administrator rights. How
you resolve it depends upon which version of XP you are running.

For XP-Home:

Unfortunately, XP Home using NTFS is essentially hard wired for "Simple File
Sharing" at system level.

However, you can set XP Home permissions in Safe Mode. Reboot, and start
hitting F8, a menu should eventually appear and one of the options is Safe Mode. Select it. Note, it will ask for the administrator's password. This is not your administrator account, rather it is the machine's administrator account for which users are asked to create a password during setup.

If you created no such password, when requested, leave blank and press enter.

Open Explorer, go to Tools and Folder Options, on the view tab, scroll to the bottom of the list, if it shows "Enable Simple File Sharing" deselect it and click apply and ok. If it shows nothing or won't let you make a change, move on to the next step.

Navigate to the files, right click, select properties, go to the Security tab, click advanced, go to the Owner tab and select the user that was logged on when you were refused permission to access the files. Click apply and ok. Close the properties box, reopen it, click add and type in the name of the user you just enabled. If you wish to set ownership for everything in the folder, at the bottom of the Owner tab is the following selection:
"Replace owner on subcontainers and objects," select it as well.

Once complete, you should be able to do what you wish with these files when you log back on as that user.

For XP-Pro:

If you have XP Pro, temporarily change the limited account to administrative. First, go to Windows Explorer, go to Tools, select Folder Options, go to the View tab and be sure "Use Simple File Sharing" is not selected. If it is, deselect it and click apply and ok.

If you wish everything in a specific folder to be accessible to a user, right click the folder, select properties, go to the Security tab, click Advanced, go to the Owner tab,
select the user you wish to have access, at the bottom of the box, you should see a check box for "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects,"
place a check in the box and click apply and ok.

The user should now be able to perform necessary functions on files in the folder even as a limited account. If not, make it an admin account again, right click the folder, select Properties, go to the Security tab and be sure the user is listed in the user list. If not, click add and type the user name in the appropriate box, be sure the user has all the necessary permissions checked in the permission list below the user list, click apply and ok.

That should do it and allow whatever access you desire for that folder even in a limited account.

--
Peter

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:53:10 -0700, Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com>
wrote:

>You missed a part of that ;)
>
>You need to boot into Safe Mode by pressing F8 before Windows loads and
>right after the POST screen. This will give you an option and choose
>Safe Mode. If you can't get the timing down, just press the restart
>button while the Windows logo is showing and it will claim the startup
>failed and offer you the options. Once in Safe Mode, follow the directions:
>
>To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:

Would this work on a partition? Its a partition that she can't
access.

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?
A golden retriever.

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:36:02 -0700, "Cecelia"
<Cecelia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I posted a this message earlier today under general about how I accidently upgraded my 2K to XP

Which version? And...with the service pack?

>I have a 60G hard drive with 7 partitions and a 13G hard drive with two partitions.

Which is the boot drive? Are you running TweakUI?...or any anti-virus
or firewall software?

> XP recognizes and allows access to all the partitions on the 13G drive. It will only recognize and allow access to 2 partitions on the 60G. The other gives me a message drive not accessable, access denied. Because of this I can't download files, can't delete files.

What file system are you using on each drive?

>What is driving me crazy is that it allowed me to install another copy of XP on my C drive which I have done. But I can't access the drive itself. Any suggestions on how to obtain access. Re-installing doesn't appear to be the solution? Any help someone could give would be greatly appreciated. This is seriously affecting my small business.

Is this a machine that's on a network?

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?
A golden retriever.

Yes. This will work on a partition which would be represented as a drive
in My Computer.

----
Nathan McNulty