New Dell Dimension 2400 CD drive disappears!

I have a week old Dell Dimension 2400 and sometimes when I boot up it's as
if the CD-RW drive (Samsung SW-252S) doesn't exist. It doesn't even show up
in the Device Manager list and the drive won't open. Is this a hardware
issue (power cable to the drive is loose) or a software issue?

This doesn't happen all the time and when it does I can reboot the system
and the drive will "mysteriously" reappear in the Device Manager list and
work properly.

If the problem persists, should I just contact Dell and make this a warranty
issue?

Any input is appreciated.

GMF

Check at Kelly's http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select C
and scroll to Cd/Dvd drives not
showing up in MyComputer.
"GMF" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I have a week old Dell Dimension 2400 and sometimes when I boot up it's as
> if the CD-RW drive (Samsung SW-252S) doesn't exist. It doesn't even show
up
> in the Device Manager list and the drive won't open. Is this a hardware
> issue (power cable to the drive is loose) or a software issue?
>
> This doesn't happen all the time and when it does I can reboot the system
> and the drive will "mysteriously" reappear in the Device Manager list and
> work properly.
>
> If the problem persists, should I just contact Dell and make this a
warranty
> issue?
>
> Any input is appreciated.
>
> GMF

Thanks. I've applied the registry fix and so far so good! I'll keep
my fingers crossed.

GMF

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 21:20:48 -0700, "Rich Barry"
<rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote:

> Check at Kelly's http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select C
>and scroll to Cd/Dvd drives not
> showing up in MyComputer.
>"GMF" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I have a week old Dell Dimension 2400 and sometimes when I boot up it's as
>> if the CD-RW drive (Samsung SW-252S) doesn't exist. It doesn't even show
>up
>> in the Device Manager list and the drive won't open. Is this a hardware
>> issue (power cable to the drive is loose) or a software issue?
>>
>> This doesn't happen all the time and when it does I can reboot the system
>> and the drive will "mysteriously" reappear in the Device Manager list and
>> work properly.
>>
>> If the problem persists, should I just contact Dell and make this a
>warranty
>> issue?
>>
>> Any input is appreciated.
>>
>> GMF

Call Dell and make them honor the warranty

GMF wrote:

> Thanks. I've applied the registry fix and so far so good! I'll keep
> my fingers crossed.
>
> GMF
>

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 21:20:48 -0700, "Rich Barry"
> <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote:
>

>> Check at Kelly's http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select C
>>and scroll to Cd/Dvd drives not
>> showing up in MyComputer.
>>"GMF" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have a week old Dell Dimension 2400 and sometimes when I boot up it's as
>>>if the CD-RW drive (Samsung SW-252S) doesn't exist. It doesn't even show
>>
>>up
>>
>>>in the Device Manager list and the drive won't open. Is this a hardware
>>>issue (power cable to the drive is loose) or a software issue?
>>>
>>>This doesn't happen all the time and when it does I can reboot the system
>>>and the drive will "mysteriously" reappear in the Device Manager list and
>>>work properly.
>>>
>>>If the problem persists, should I just contact Dell and make this a
>>
>>warranty
>>
>>>issue?
>>>
>>>Any input is appreciated.
>>>
>>>GMF

Hi,

Try going to the BIOS and autodetecting the drives on the computers. Also
try a different power connector and different IDE cable.

Thanks,

John

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 08:56:12 -0500, Mike Powers <mikepowers5@cox.net>
wrote:

>Call Dell and make them honor the warranty

If the problem persists, that's what I plan to do.

A week old? Call Dell - there support is excellent. I have a dell and had to use them tree times with success each time.