USB on board

Am running an ASUS A7N8X-E and was wondering about the USB in the back.
First there is the USB up by where the PS2 connection is and then there are
the 2 down below. Are they both the same? What I mean is, is the ones down
below considered a hub or does the MB actually have 4 USB's, not including
the pin connector ones on the bottom right of the MB? Thanks much.

Nero

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003

All four are onboard USB 1.1/2.0 so you can enable usb 1.1 on it's own,
1.1&2.0 or tuen them off.
If you have front usb ports on your case then you can have six usb ports in
total.
I have the four rear ones and two front of case ones.

Mark G. wrote:
> Am running an ASUS A7N8X-E and was wondering about the USB in the
> back. First there is the USB up by where the PS2 connection is and
> then there are the 2 down below. Are they both the same? What I mean
> is, is the ones down below considered a hub or does the MB actually
> have 4 USB's, not including the pin connector ones on the bottom
> right of the MB? Thanks much.

According to windows, there are 3 host controllers (including the one with
pin headers on the motherboard) - the two pairs of USB ports on the back
each have their own controller. But thats Windows. I suspect it's
reasonable though. Each controller has a hub with two ports.

However, in Device Manager, only one controller appears to be enhanced
(USB2.0), although all 6 ports should be USB2.0 compliant, so as to how much
of the 3 controllers, 2 ports each is "logical" and how much is "physical",
I dunno.

Ben

Ben Pope wrote:
> Mark G. wrote:
>
>>Am running an ASUS A7N8X-E and was wondering about the USB in the
>>back. First there is the USB up by where the PS2 connection is and
>>then there are the 2 down below. Are they both the same? What I mean
>>is, is the ones down below considered a hub or does the MB actually
>>have 4 USB's, not including the pin connector ones on the bottom
>>right of the MB? Thanks much.
>

> According to windows, there are 3 host controllers (including the one with
> pin headers on the motherboard) - the two pairs of USB ports on the back
> each have their own controller. But thats Windows. I suspect it's
> reasonable though. Each controller has a hub with two ports.
>
> However, in Device Manager, only one controller appears to be enhanced
> (USB2.0), although all 6 ports should be USB2.0 compliant, so as to how much
> of the 3 controllers, 2 ports each is "logical" and how much is "physical",
> I dunno.
>
> Ben

Generally the OS's view of the controller is that there is one EHCI (USB
2.0) controller for all ports, and one OHCI or UHCI (USB 1.1) controller
for each pair of ports. USB 1.1 devices appear to be connected to one of
the USB 1.1 controllers, while USB 2.0 devices appear to be connected to
the enhanced USB 2.0 controller. Generally it is all the same
controller which just has multiple interfaces on it..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada