NIC Problems

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Mobo: Asus K8N-E Delexe (with onboard gigabit ethernet)
OS: Windows XP SP2 fully up to date, spyware scanned and virus scanned with
a fully up to date AVG Free.
Router: Origo 4 Port ASR-8400

I have a home network set up which, until recently worked fine. I am using
the router to connect three PCs and provide them with internet access. On my
machine I am no longer able to see the network. I have got the following
info:

IPCONFIG (notice the missing addresses):

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.226.157
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PING:

All other computers on the network can ping 10.0.0.2 which is the address
the router is at. My computer just says that the host is unreachable.

TCP/IP Properties:

Set to get IP address automatically as is every other computer on the
network.

I have also tried changing sockets and network cables in which the computer
is plugged into the router with.

I have tried replacing the onboard gigabit ethernet adapter with a seperate
PCI card and that seems t work just fine. The new PCI card sets up a new
Local Area Connection and I'm hoping that there is some sort of
configuration problem witht he original one that uses the onboard ethernet.

Using the seoerate PCI card I can do an IPCONFIG and get:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Is there anything else I can do/check or is this a case of a bad motherboad
(one month old!) that I should RMA?

TIA

"elziko" <elziko@NOTSPAMMINGyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Mobo: Asus K8N-E Delexe (with onboard gigabit ethernet)
> OS: Windows XP SP2 fully up to date, spyware scanned and virus scanned
> with a fully up to date AVG Free.
> Router: Origo 4 Port ASR-8400
>
> I have a home network set up which, until recently worked fine. I am using
> the router to connect three PCs and provide them with internet access. On
> my machine I am no longer able to see the network. I have got the
> following info:
>
> IPCONFIG (notice the missing addresses):
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.226.157
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>
> PING:
>
> All other computers on the network can ping 10.0.0.2 which is the address
> the router is at. My computer just says that the host is unreachable.
>
> TCP/IP Properties:
>
> Set to get IP address automatically as is every other computer on the
> network.
>
> I have also tried changing sockets and network cables in which the
> computer is plugged into the router with.
>
> I have tried replacing the onboard gigabit ethernet adapter with a
> seperate PCI card and that seems t work just fine. The new PCI card sets
> up a new Local Area Connection and I'm hoping that there is some sort of
> configuration problem witht he original one that uses the onboard
> ethernet.
>
> Using the seoerate PCI card I can do an IPCONFIG and get:
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
>
> Is there anything else I can do/check or is this a case of a bad
> motherboad (one month old!) that I should RMA?
>
> TIA

I've had the same problem happen twice, the onboard nic wasn't assigned it's
ip
by my router using dhcp instead it used the auto configuration ip address.
And like you say other computer could see the router and use the internet,
just
the onboard nic on my K8N-E had problems. The only way I was able to fix it
was to power off the computer completely. Restarting windows didn't fix the
problem. And using ipconfig to release and renew didn't work either. When
powered backup it was working normally. It happeded a week ago and before
that it was about 2 months ago.

Jim M

Paul

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <41e10dcb$0$16588$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, "elziko"
<elziko@NOTSPAMMINGyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Mobo: Asus K8N-E Delexe (with onboard gigabit ethernet)
> OS: Windows XP SP2 fully up to date, spyware scanned and virus scanned with
> a fully up to date AVG Free.
> Router: Origo 4 Port ASR-8400
>
> I have a home network set up which, until recently worked fine. I am using
> the router to connect three PCs and provide them with internet access. On my
> machine I am no longer able to see the network. I have got the following
> info:
>
> IPCONFIG (notice the missing addresses):
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.226.157
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>
> PING:
>
> All other computers on the network can ping 10.0.0.2 which is the address
> the router is at. My computer just says that the host is unreachable.
>
> TCP/IP Properties:
>
> Set to get IP address automatically as is every other computer on the
> network.
>
> I have also tried changing sockets and network cables in which the computer
> is plugged into the router with.
>
> I have tried replacing the onboard gigabit ethernet adapter with a seperate
> PCI card and that seems t work just fine. The new PCI card sets up a new
> Local Area Connection and I'm hoping that there is some sort of
> configuration problem witht he original one that uses the onboard ethernet.
>
> Using the seoerate PCI card I can do an IPCONFIG and get:
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
>
> Is there anything else I can do/check or is this a case of a bad motherboad
> (one month old!) that I should RMA?
>
> TIA

Your motherboard uses Marvell 88E1111 PHY chip. If you go to the
Marvell.com web site, and enter 88E1111 into the search box,
the web page for the chip says it supports "virtual cable tester".
You can use this to verify that the cable has no opens or shorts,
on the wires needed for the interconnect. For 10/100BT devices
connected to the K8N-E, only four of the eight wires in the cable
are used. For GbE devices (like a GbE router), all eight wires
should read as connected. (I've used VCT and it works. It found
a bad connection when I was trying out gigabit ethernet.)

I don't see a driver on the Asus web page for K8N-E. What you
could try, is download this file:

ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/lan/marvell/Marvell_v628.zip

It has a folder with the following files in it:

SetupVCTwin.exe
SetupVCTwin.htm
SetupVCTwin.txt

I cannot promise it will work, as it is just a guess on my
part, that the Virtual Cable Test will work with any
suitably equipped Marvell PHY interface. The text file
says the .exe works with Win2K or WinXP.

The other thing you could investigate, is the physical address
being used by the K8N-E lan interface. Try typing

ipconfig /all

in a DOS window, and see what is listed for the physical
address.

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-75-B5-A7-44

It could be that you recently flashed the BIOS, and the
physical address stored in the previous BIOS got wiped out.

This thread gives an example of dealing with the physical
address, and how to repair it for an A7N8X. I don't know
if the same logic applies to the K8N-E board as well,
or not.

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150240

It could be, that certain physical addresses used in
Ethernet packets, will prevent your router from
responding.

HTH,
Paul

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:56:10 -0000, "elziko"
<elziko@NOTSPAMMINGyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Mobo: Asus K8N-E Delexe (with onboard gigabit ethernet)
>OS: Windows XP SP2 fully up to date, spyware scanned and virus scanned with
>a fully up to date AVG Free.
>Router: Origo 4 Port ASR-8400
>
>I have a home network set up which, until recently worked fine. I am using
>the router to connect three PCs and provide them with internet access. On my
>machine I am no longer able to see the network. I have got the following
>info:

We shall assume your router provides DHCP function for all
systems?

Give us an example of the IP address for a system that IS
connecting properly.

>IPCONFIG (notice the missing addresses):
>
>Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.226.157
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Is this system using all default values?
Generally the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
What router?
Is the router using defaults or (what?) setting have been
changed?

>PING:
>
>All other computers on the network can ping 10.0.0.2 which is the address
>the router is at. My computer just says that the host is unreachable.

10.0.0.2 would typically be your ISP's (or their contracted
equipment provider's) router, not yours, because most
consumer routers default to 192.168.0.1 on the LAN port.
The routers WAN port should be assigned to it by DHCP from
the ISP's router (typically the 10.0.0.2) IP'd machine, else
it passes that on to your router, same difference so far as
your setup is concerned. If you chose to use that range,
that's one thing... if you didn't, explore why. Your LAN
and WAN ports on the router should not use same range.

>TCP/IP Properties:
>
>Set to get IP address automatically as is every other computer on the
>network.

Everything is set to defaults, not just the IP address?
Sometimes Windows' TCP/IP gets all fouled up, in such cases
the best option is to remove the adapter in add/remove
programs and reboot, have it redetected.

Also check the cable connection lights on the box and the
router. Try another network cable and port on the router.
If it's not working still, power-cycle the router. Use
IPCONFIG to check status.

>I have also tried changing sockets and network cables in which the computer
>is plugged into the router with.

LOL, I should read ahead more often.

>I have tried replacing the onboard gigabit ethernet adapter with a seperate
>PCI card and that seems t work just fine. The new PCI card sets up a new
>Local Area Connection and I'm hoping that there is some sort of
>configuration problem witht he original one that uses the onboard ethernet.

After trying aforementioned things, check the IRQ
assignments. Try another NIC driver.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"elziko" <elziko@NOTSPAMMINGyahoo.co.uk> wrote in

> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.226.157
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Are you really using 'Autoconfiguration'? Does the 'Autoconfiguration IP
Address' (169.254.226.157) seem to be odd given your Router address of
10.0.0.2? Try turning off 'Autoconfiguration'. I don't mean DHCP. Leave DHCP
on.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

After JBM's reply on alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:

> I've had the same problem happen twice, the onboard nic wasn't assigned
> it's ip
> by my router using dhcp instead it used the auto configuration ip address.
> And like you say other computer could see the router and use the internet,
> just
> the onboard nic on my K8N-E had problems. The only way I was able to fix
> it
> was to power off the computer completely. Restarting windows didn't fix
> the
> problem. And using ipconfig to release and renew didn't work either. When
> powered backup it was working normally. It happeded a week ago and before
> that it was about 2 months ago.

Yeah release just seemed to hang my system. I also tried a restart first of
all which did nothing.

The thing that got me up and running again was:

1) Disable NIC in Device Manager
2) Uninstall NIC in Device Manager (I couldn't uninstall it until disabled)
3) SHUTDOWN system (I even went as far as to unplug it and plug it back
in) - as you mention a restart doesn't help.
4) Allow windows to autodetect and install drivers for the NIC.

I don't know why this worked but it did. Thanks to everyone else who has
replied!

TRENDING THREADS