A7V880 and Wifi-B card - big problem :((

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005

Hi,
I have 2-monthly asus a7v880 mainboard and I just buy a wifi-b/ralink card
for my wi-fi slot on mainboard.
I plugged in into slot and switched on computer. When I try to install a
message occurs "No item on this system". Wi-fi card LED's are not blinkin',
bios is updated to the newest version, a wifi-b card is brand new and so are
drivers.
What's the solution - please help me. Why card isn't working? I've tried to
install drivers manually but when I try to run asus wi-fi control center the
same message occurs "no item on this system".

Greets,
Hose

Paul

Splendid

In article <41e13454$1@news.vogel.pl>, "hose"
<hose@a.n.t.i.s.p.a.m.bestfilm.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have 2-monthly asus a7v880 mainboard and I just buy a wifi-b/ralink card
> for my wi-fi slot on mainboard.
> I plugged in into slot and switched on computer. When I try to install a
> message occurs "No item on this system". Wi-fi card LED's are not blinkin',
> bios is updated to the newest version, a wifi-b card is brand new and so are
> drivers.
> What's the solution - please help me. Why card isn't working? I've tried to
> install drivers manually but when I try to run asus wi-fi control center the
> same message occurs "no item on this system".
>
> Greets,
> Hose

You cannot have a PCI card in slot 5 at the same time as the
Wifi card. I don't even know if that is physically possible
or not, but it is the only thing I can think of. The signals
in PCI slot 5 and the Wifi card are one in the same, and
cannot be shared.

When buying wireless cards, you would be much better off buying
a PCI card version of Wifi. That will allow you to move the
card between computers when needed. The Asus proprietary
connector is not good in this respect.

Paul

Yes, I know about this issue and it's impossible to get a device in PCI 5
slot and Wi-fi at the same time .
But this isn't working - still my wifi card is not detected by install
manager.
Maybe I have wrong Bios settings or somethin'?

Greets
hose

U¿ytkownik "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
> In article <41e13454$1@news.vogel.pl>, "hose"
> <hose@a.n.t.i.s.p.a.m.bestfilm.pl> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have 2-monthly asus a7v880 mainboard and I just buy a wifi-b/ralink
>> card
>> for my wi-fi slot on mainboard.
>> I plugged in into slot and switched on computer. When I try to install a
>> message occurs "No item on this system". Wi-fi card LED's are not
>> blinkin',
>> bios is updated to the newest version, a wifi-b card is brand new and so
>> are
>> drivers.
>> What's the solution - please help me. Why card isn't working? I've tried
>> install drivers manually but when I try to run asus wi-fi control center
>> the
>> same message occurs "no item on this system".
>>
>> Greets,
>> Hose
>
> You cannot have a PCI card in slot 5 at the same time as the
> Wifi card. I don't even know if that is physically possible
> or not, but it is the only thing I can think of. The signals
> in PCI slot 5 and the Wifi card are one in the same, and
> cannot be shared.
>
> When buying wireless cards, you would be much better off buying
> a PCI card version of Wifi. That will allow you to move the
> card between computers when needed. The Asus proprietary
> connector is not good in this respect.
>
> Paul

Check in bios to make sure it is enabled.

"n3lly" <djworen@WYTNIJklub.chip.pl> wrote in message
> Yes, I know about this issue and it's impossible to get a device in PCI 5
> slot and Wi-fi at the same time .
> But this isn't working - still my wifi card is not detected by install
> manager.
> Maybe I have wrong Bios settings or somethin'?
>
> Greets
> hose
>
> U¿ytkownik "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
>> In article <41e13454$1@news.vogel.pl>, "hose"
>> <hose@a.n.t.i.s.p.a.m.bestfilm.pl> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I have 2-monthly asus a7v880 mainboard and I just buy a wifi-b/ralink
>>> card
>>> for my wi-fi slot on mainboard.
>>> I plugged in into slot and switched on computer. When I try to install a
>>> message occurs "No item on this system". Wi-fi card LED's are not
>>> blinkin',
>>> bios is updated to the newest version, a wifi-b card is brand new and so
>>> are
>>> drivers.
>>> What's the solution - please help me. Why card isn't working? I've tried
>>> install drivers manually but when I try to run asus wi-fi control center
>>> the
>>> same message occurs "no item on this system".
>>>
>>> Greets,
>>> Hose
>>
>> You cannot have a PCI card in slot 5 at the same time as the
>> Wifi card. I don't even know if that is physically possible
>> or not, but it is the only thing I can think of. The signals
>> in PCI slot 5 and the Wifi card are one in the same, and
>> cannot be shared.
>>
>> When buying wireless cards, you would be much better off buying
>> a PCI card version of Wifi. That will allow you to move the
>> card between computers when needed. The Asus proprietary
>> connector is not good in this respect.
>>
>> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <41e1a0ab@news.vogel.pl>, "n3lly" <djworen@WYTNIJklub.chip.pl> wrote:

> Yes, I know about this issue and it's impossible to get a device in PCI 5
> slot and Wi-fi at the same time .
> But this isn't working - still my wifi card is not detected by install
> manager.
> Maybe I have wrong Bios settings or somethin'?
>
> Greets
> hose

The manual is here, and when neither of the lights are lit on
the card, the card has no power. I don't know what would account
for that. It could be that the Wifi card is defective, or not
fully seated.

http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/accessory/wifi-b/e1414_wifi-b.pdf

Is the antenna connected ? Perhaps the unit is clever enough to
detect no antenna ?

The chipset comes from ralinktech.com , but there is nothing of
any real interest on the site.

Paul

> U¿ytkownik "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
> > In article <41e13454$1@news.vogel.pl>, "hose"
> > <hose@a.n.t.i.s.p.a.m.bestfilm.pl> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> I have 2-monthly asus a7v880 mainboard and I just buy a wifi-b/ralink
> >> card
> >> for my wi-fi slot on mainboard.
> >> I plugged in into slot and switched on computer. When I try to install a
> >> message occurs "No item on this system". Wi-fi card LED's are not
> >> blinkin',
> >> bios is updated to the newest version, a wifi-b card is brand new and so
> >> are
> >> drivers.
> >> What's the solution - please help me. Why card isn't working? I've tried
> >> install drivers manually but when I try to run asus wi-fi control center
> >> the
> >> same message occurs "no item on this system".
> >>
> >> Greets,
> >> Hose
> >
> > You cannot have a PCI card in slot 5 at the same time as the
> > Wifi card. I don't even know if that is physically possible
> > or not, but it is the only thing I can think of. The signals
> > in PCI slot 5 and the Wifi card are one in the same, and
> > cannot be shared.
> >
> > When buying wireless cards, you would be much better off buying
> > a PCI card version of Wifi. That will allow you to move the
> > card between computers when needed. The Asus proprietary
> > connector is not good in this respect.
> >
> > Paul

Yes, I've checked the manual and do the installation exactly as it was
wroten. Still nothing. In BIOS there is no option to enable/disable Wi-Fi
slot. The Card was seated a couple of times to make sure that it was done
correctly. External antenna is connected all the time. And still the same -
no positive results :(

Any idea's ?