Video relay into a laptop

Does anyone out there know what hardware / software i
need to play a video through my laptop. the purpose is
then is so save video on the laptop and download onto
DVD. is this even possible?

email me privately if its a long answer! To
bruce_nhome@hotmail.com

thanks in advance
Bruce

It is entirely possible. You want to record video from what? VHS, DVD,
a Camcorder? What I would suggest is a Capture Card which will have to
be an external since you have a laptop. If it is DVD\Camcorder or
anything you can hook up to the computer normally or play through the
computer, there is no need for a capture card. I know Pennical makes
some very good external capture devices. Check those out :)

----
Nathan McNulty

Bruce Nicholson wrote:
> Does anyone out there know what hardware / software i
> need to play a video through my laptop. the purpose is
> then is so save video on the laptop and download onto
> DVD. is this even possible?
>
> email me privately if its a long answer! To
> bruce_nhome@hotmail.com
>
> thanks in advance
> Bruce

There is a video forum. To get you started in the right way, to burn
DVDs your laptop must have a DVD burner, not a DVD player/CD-RW. If you
are talking about getting video from a video camera, Digital Video
cameras usually have a way to download to a PC, usually firewire but
often with USB as an alternative. Uusually software comes with the
camera. To get from VHS tape, a VHS or 8mm analog video camera, you
will need a hardware converter. ADSTech, Adaptec, and Pinnacle all make
them and they come with software. Note that two formats VCD and SVCD
will allow recording to CD-R and CD-RW but with less time per disk and
less resolution although not necessarily poorer than the original VHS.

http://www.videohelp.com/ and http://www.cdrfaq.org/ are a couple of
places to start getting up to speed.