No Boot up-New Computer...Asus A8V & AMD Athlon 3200

Last response: in Motherboards
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2005 1:09:11 PM

This is a brand new assembly and there is no POST...nothing, no screen
activity! Any help or suggestions welcome. The parts are:

Asus A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
1 GB PC3200 DIMM
Enlight 7250 300W Case
Generic Video Card (Temp)
WD Dual 160 GB Hard Drives
NEC DVD writer/reader

With just a case/power supply, a motherboard, and a video card, I ought to
be able to do a Power On Self Test.....seems like it has to be the
motherboard or the power supply!

The board lights up (SB_PWR), CPU Fan and case fan fire up...but no signal
to the video screen. I have tried different video cards, monitors, it's not
sending a POST message at boot...what else can It try?
January 9, 2005 4:17:17 PM

In article <rObEd.5637$Iz5.1095@fe39.usenetserver.com>, "cetcra"
<cetcra@alltel.net> wrote:

> This is a brand new assembly and there is no POST...nothing, no screen
> activity! Any help or suggestions welcome. The parts are:
>
> Asus A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800
> AMD Athlon 64 3200+
> 1 GB PC3200 DIMM
> Enlight 7250 300W Case
> Generic Video Card (Temp)
> WD Dual 160 GB Hard Drives
> NEC DVD writer/reader
>
> With just a case/power supply, a motherboard, and a video card, I ought to
> be able to do a Power On Self Test.....seems like it has to be the
> motherboard or the power supply!
>
> The board lights up (SB_PWR), CPU Fan and case fan fire up...but no signal
> to the video screen. I have tried different video cards, monitors, it's not
> sending a POST message at boot...what else can It try?

Is the ATX 2x2 12V power connector plugged into the motherboard ?
This connector is near the upper left corner of the board.

The Athlon64 boards, like their P4 counterparts, now use current
from +12V to run the processor.

I believe your board has "vocal post" and if you connect amplified
speakers to the Lineout connector on the back of the computer, you
should hear any error messages the board cares to deliver. The
"vocal post" system contains its own tiny processor, and can
give error messages when you connect the blank motherboard to the
ATX power supply and momentarily contact the two pins on the PANEL
header used for the power switch. As you add components to the
motherboard, the error messages should change appropriately. The
error messages are listed in the manual, and due to heavy compression
of the voice samples, you'll need to compare the muffled messages
from your speakers, to the list in the manual.

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2005 7:41:13 PM

Hi,

If you have the "Winchester"- Athlon 64 CPU, you first have to boot your PC
with only one RAM- module!
Then update your BIOS to at least version 1008. Put your second RAM back and
start your system. Now it should work without problems.

Ciao,
Henning
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2005 7:41:14 PM

I sure wish that had fixed it!...But after removing one of the DIMMs,
NO CHANGE...No boot up, No POST.

Thanks though!

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:41:13 +0100, "Henning Beyer"
<kontakt@henning-beyer.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>If you have the "Winchester"- Athlon 64 CPU, you first have to boot your PC
>with only one RAM- module!
>Then update your BIOS to at least version 1008. Put your second RAM back and
>start your system. Now it should work without problems.
>
>Ciao,
>Henning

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2005 7:56:51 PM

Hi, however if you've just purchased this motherboard I'd suggest you take
it back as all new A8V rev 2's have a bios capable of running the
winchesters.....
ChrisC

"Henning Beyer" <kontakt@henning-beyer.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> If you have the "Winchester"- Athlon 64 CPU, you first have to boot your
> PC with only one RAM- module!
> Then update your BIOS to at least version 1008. Put your second RAM back
> and start your system. Now it should work without problems.
>
> Ciao,
> Henning

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2005 7:56:52 PM

OK, it's booting now....Hopefully my stupdity at not reading the part
about placing your memory in the two "blue" DIMM slots first and NOT
one blue/one black....will help the next guy who does not take the
time to fully read the motherboard manual!

Thanks for you replies. I may be back with the next problem, but for
now, I'm setting up the RAID function as RAID01, to mirror drives,
then we'll see....!

Thanks

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:56:51 -0000, "Chris Catt"
<cuke(nospam)@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, however if you've just purchased this motherboard I'd suggest you take
>it back as all new A8V rev 2's have a bios capable of running the
>winchesters.....
>ChrisC
>
>"Henning Beyer" <kontakt@henning-beyer.de> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you have the "Winchester"- Athlon 64 CPU, you first have to boot your
>> PC with only one RAM- module!
>> Then update your BIOS to at least version 1008. Put your second RAM back
>> and start your system. Now it should work without problems.
>>
>> Ciao,
>> Henning

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2005 3:46:16 PM

Paul Wrote:
> In article rObEd.5637$Iz5.1095@fe39.usenetserver.com, "cetcra"
> cetcra@alltel.net wrote:
> -
> This is a brand new assembly and there is no POST...nothing, no
> screen
> activity! Any help or suggestions welcome. The parts a
>
> Asus A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800
> AMD Athlon 64 3200+
> 1 GB PC3200 DIMM
> Enlight 7250 300W Case
> Generic Video Card (Temp)
> WD Dual 160 GB Hard Drives
> NEC DVD writer/reader
>
> With just a case/power supply, a motherboard, and a video card, I
> ought to
> be able to do a Power On Self Test.....seems like it has to be the
> motherboard or the power supply!
>
> The board lights up (SB_PWR), CPU Fan and case fan fire up...but no
> signal
> to the video screen. I have tried different video cards, monitors,
> it's not
> sending a POST message at boot...what else can It try?-
>
> Is the ATX 2x2 12V power connector plugged into the motherboard ?
> This connector is near the upper left corner of the board.
>
> The Athlon64 boards, like their P4 counterparts, now use current
> from +12V to run the processor.
>
> I believe your board has "vocal post" and if you connect amplified
> speakers to the Lineout connector on the back of the computer, you
> should hear any error messages the board cares to deliver. The
> "vocal post" system contains its own tiny processor, and can
> give error messages when you connect the blank motherboard to the
> ATX power supply and momentarily contact the two pins on the PANEL
> header used for the power switch. As you add components to the
> motherboard, the error messages should change appropriately. The
> error messages are listed in the manual, and due to heavy compression
> of the voice samples, you'll need to compare the muffled messages
> from your speakers, to the list in the manual.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

I had tons of similar problems, and out of sheer frustration and
experimenting removed the 300 watt power supply and replaced with a 400
watt supply, and it fell together like childs jigsaw, worth trying.

--
edleeds
Anonymous

"edleeds" <edleeds.1ir57n@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in message

> Paul Wrote:
>> In article rObEd.5637$Iz5.1095@fe39.usenetserver.com, "cetcra"
>> cetcra@alltel.net wrote:
>> -
>> This is a brand new assembly and there is no POST...nothing, no
>> screen
>> activity! Any help or suggestions welcome. The parts a
>>
>> Asus A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800
>> AMD Athlon 64 3200+
>> 1 GB PC3200 DIMM
>> Enlight 7250 300W Case
>> Generic Video Card (Temp)
>> WD Dual 160 GB Hard Drives
>> NEC DVD writer/reader
>>
>> With just a case/power supply, a motherboard, and a video card, I
>> ought to
>> be able to do a Power On Self Test.....seems like it has to be the
>> motherboard or the power supply!
>>
>> The board lights up (SB_PWR), CPU Fan and case fan fire up...but no
>> signal
>> to the video screen. I have tried different video cards, monitors,
>> it's not
>> sending a POST message at boot...what else can It try?-
>>
>> Is the ATX 2x2 12V power connector plugged into the motherboard ?
>> This connector is near the upper left corner of the board.
>>
>> The Athlon64 boards, like their P4 counterparts, now use current
>> from +12V to run the processor.
>>
>> I believe your board has "vocal post" and if you connect amplified
>> speakers to the Lineout connector on the back of the computer, you
>> should hear any error messages the board cares to deliver. The
>> "vocal post" system contains its own tiny processor, and can
>> give error messages when you connect the blank motherboard to the
>> ATX power supply and momentarily contact the two pins on the PANEL
>> header used for the power switch. As you add components to the
>> motherboard, the error messages should change appropriately. The
>> error messages are listed in the manual, and due to heavy compression
>> of the voice samples, you'll need to compare the muffled messages
>> from your speakers, to the list in the manual.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Paul
>
> I had tons of similar problems, and out of sheer frustration and
> experimenting removed the 300 watt power supply and replaced with a 400
> watt supply, and it fell together like childs jigsaw, worth trying.

In agreement with both answers: 1. the PSU is too small and should be
increased to AT LEAST 400W; 2. the power connectoid was likely not seated
properly... push the dadgum thing down till you hear the "click" of the
retainer.
!