Boot Device Selection Menu

When my PC fails to boot while still in BIOS (such as I intentionally press
the reset button), and then I re-boot, the ASUS BIOS pops up a selection menu
from which I can manually pick the device I wish to boot. This, appears,
to override or skip any settings I might have in the BIOS Boot Setup Menu.

It seems that BIOS believes there is a problem with my intented boot device
and is giving me a chance to select another device for this one boot.

Is there any key I can press during boot, that will force this selection menu
to pop up without a previously failed OS boot?
6 answers Last reply
More about boot device selection menu

    Walt wrote:
    > When my PC fails to boot while still in BIOS (such as I intentionally press
    > the reset button),
    Don't press the reset button. Just save your changes in the bios screen,
    hit ok, and it will boot from the device you have chosen.

    In article <hbcEd.1913$C52.453@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    Walt@NoSpamEarly.com says...
    > When my PC fails to boot while still in BIOS (such as I intentionally press
    > the reset button), and then I re-boot, the ASUS BIOS pops up a selection menu
    > from which I can manually pick the device I wish to boot. This, appears,
    > to override or skip any settings I might have in the BIOS Boot Setup Menu.
    >
    > It seems that BIOS believes there is a problem with my intented boot device
    > and is giving me a chance to select another device for this one boot.
    >
    > Is there any key I can press during boot, that will force this selection menu
    > to pop up without a previously failed OS boot?

    Depends on the mainboard. I know the P4P800 is F8, the P4PE is
    ESC.
    --
    Best Regards,

    I know how to make PERMANENT changes in the BIOS setup. I am, instead,
    looking on how to get the Boot Device Selection menu to come up, which
    pertains to just THIS one boot, without having a previous boot failure.

    However, thanks for taking the time to reply!

    tomcas wrote:

    > Don't press the reset button. Just save your changes in the bios screen,
    > hit ok, and it will boot from the device you have chosen.
    > and then I re-boot, the ASUS BIOS pops up a selection

    Isn't F8 for the Windows Boot Menu? I mean that menu that lets you
    select a normal Windows boot, a Safe Mode Windows boot, etc.

    I am looking for the key that triggers the BIOS menu.

    Walt wrote:
    > Isn't F8 for the Windows Boot Menu? I mean that menu that lets you
    > select a normal Windows boot, a Safe Mode Windows boot, etc.
    >
    > I am looking for the key that triggers the BIOS menu.
    >
    > Deus Miraculous wrote:
    >

    >> Depends on the mainboard. I know the P4P800 is F8, the P4PE is ESC.

    F8 is for the boot menu on some boards too (it is on the A8N-SLI
    Deluxe). If you turn off the Asus logo screen it should show you what to
    press..

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
  6. Try pressing ESC while booting.