Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Boot Device Selection Menu

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2005 6:35:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

When my PC fails to boot while still in BIOS (such as I intentionally press
the reset button), and then I re-boot, the ASUS BIOS pops up a selection menu
from which I can manually pick the device I wish to boot. This, appears,
to override or skip any settings I might have in the BIOS Boot Setup Menu.

It seems that BIOS believes there is a problem with my intented boot device
and is giving me a chance to select another device for this one boot.

Is there any key I can press during boot, that will force this selection menu
to pop up without a previously failed OS boot?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2005 6:35:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Walt wrote:
> When my PC fails to boot while still in BIOS (such as I intentionally press
> the reset button),
Don't press the reset button. Just save your changes in the bios screen,
hit ok, and it will boot from the device you have chosen.
and then I re-boot, the ASUS BIOS pops up a selection
> menu
> from which I can manually pick the device I wish to boot. This, appears,
> to override or skip any settings I might have in the BIOS Boot Setup Menu.
>
> It seems that BIOS believes there is a problem with my intented boot device
> and is giving me a chance to select another device for this one boot.
>
> Is there any key I can press during boot, that will force this selection
> menu
> to pop up without a previously failed OS boot?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2005 6:35:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <hbcEd.1913$C52.453@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
Walt@NoSpamEarly.com says...
> When my PC fails to boot while still in BIOS (such as I intentionally press
> the reset button), and then I re-boot, the ASUS BIOS pops up a selection menu
> from which I can manually pick the device I wish to boot. This, appears,
> to override or skip any settings I might have in the BIOS Boot Setup Menu.
>
> It seems that BIOS believes there is a problem with my intented boot device
> and is giving me a chance to select another device for this one boot.
>
> Is there any key I can press during boot, that will force this selection menu
> to pop up without a previously failed OS boot?
>
Depends on the mainboard. I know the P4P800 is F8, the P4PE is
ESC.
--
Best Regards,
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2005 12:52:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I know how to make PERMANENT changes in the BIOS setup. I am, instead,
looking on how to get the Boot Device Selection menu to come up, which
pertains to just THIS one boot, without having a previous boot failure.

However, thanks for taking the time to reply!

tomcas wrote:
>
> Don't press the reset button. Just save your changes in the bios screen,
> hit ok, and it will boot from the device you have chosen.
> and then I re-boot, the ASUS BIOS pops up a selection
>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2005 12:58:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Isn't F8 for the Windows Boot Menu? I mean that menu that lets you
select a normal Windows boot, a Safe Mode Windows boot, etc.

I am looking for the key that triggers the BIOS menu.

Deus Miraculous wrote:
>
> Depends on the mainboard. I know the P4P800 is F8, the P4PE is
> ESC.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2005 8:45:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Walt wrote:
> Isn't F8 for the Windows Boot Menu? I mean that menu that lets you
> select a normal Windows boot, a Safe Mode Windows boot, etc.
>
> I am looking for the key that triggers the BIOS menu.
>
> Deus Miraculous wrote:
>
>>
>> Depends on the mainboard. I know the P4P800 is F8, the P4PE is ESC.

F8 is for the boot menu on some boards too (it is on the A8N-SLI
Deluxe). If you turn off the Asus logo screen it should show you what to
press..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@nospamshaw.ca
Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/
October 14, 2011 6:02:17 PM

Try pressing ESC while booting.
!