USB Unkown Device

Hi all,

I upgraded from Win98 to WinXP about a year ago. I recently purchased a
Palm Zire 31 (upgrade from an m135). While it is plugged into the
computer via the USB port, I am getting some strange behavior. If the
Zire is turned on but not Hotsyncing, it doesn't appear anywhere in my
Device Manager. If it is turned on and Hotsyncing, it shows up as its
own category ("Palm handheld" or something like that). (Note that
Hotsync works just fine.)

The strange behavior is when it is connected to the computer via USB
cable but is turned off. It shows up in the Device Manager under the USB
port section as an "Unknown Device". I also get a little bubble error
message from my taskbar that reads, "USB Device Not Recognized: One of
the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows
does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click
this message." Clicking the message just shows me that an Unknown Device
has appeared and nothing else. I have tried updating the Palm USB
drivers, to no avail. I have been talking to Palm about this for three
weeks, but after they sent me a few scripts they basically said, "We
give up". Can anyone else tell me how to stop getting that little bubble
to show up?

-Kim

The USB is terminated into the device and there is some power from the
USB port so it sees something is there but the Palm doesn't send any
identifying information until it is turned on.

KimJ721 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I upgraded from Win98 to WinXP about a year ago. I recently purchased a
> Palm Zire 31 (upgrade from an m135). While it is plugged into the
> computer via the USB port, I am getting some strange behavior. If the
> Zire is turned on but not Hotsyncing, it doesn't appear anywhere in my
> Device Manager. If it is turned on and Hotsyncing, it shows up as its
> own category ("Palm handheld" or something like that). (Note that
> Hotsync works just fine.)
>
> The strange behavior is when it is connected to the computer via USB
> cable but is turned off. It shows up in the Device Manager under the USB
> port section as an "Unknown Device". I also get a little bubble error
> message from my taskbar that reads, "USB Device Not Recognized: One of
> the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows
> does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click
> this message." Clicking the message just shows me that an Unknown Device
> has appeared and nothing else. I have tried updating the Palm USB
> drivers, to no avail. I have been talking to Palm about this for three
> weeks, but after they sent me a few scripts they basically said, "We
> give up". Can anyone else tell me how to stop getting that little bubble
> to show up?
>
> -Kim

That sounds like it makes sense. Do you have any suggestions as to how
to rectify it?

-Kim

KimJ721 wrote:
> That sounds like it makes sense. Do you have any suggestions as to how
> to rectify it?
>
> -Kim
>
> Mike Powers wrote:
>
>> The USB is terminated into the device and there is some power from
>> the USB port so it sees something is there but the Palm doesn't send
>> any identifying information until it is turned on.

Two methods: 1. disconnect the Palm. 2. Remove the icon: Right-click
the Start Button, select Properties, Taskbar tab, Customize Button.
Find the icon and select Always Hide.

Quaoar wrote:
> Two methods: 1. disconnect the Palm. 2. Remove the icon: Right-click
> the Start Button, select Properties, Taskbar tab, Customize Button.
> Find the icon and select Always Hide.

Hm...I would rather not disconnect the Palm, as I have it set to Hotsync
in the morning before I wake up. It's not an icon that pops up -- it's
an entire (small) window that complains about the unknown device.

-Kim

"KimJ721" <KimJ721@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I upgraded from Win98 to WinXP about a year ago. I recently purchased a
> Palm Zire 31 (upgrade from an m135). While it is plugged into the
> computer via the USB port, I am getting some strange behavior. If the
> Zire is turned on but not Hotsyncing, it doesn't appear anywhere in my
> Device Manager. If it is turned on and Hotsyncing, it shows up as its
> own category ("Palm handheld" or something like that). (Note that
> Hotsync works just fine.)
>
> The strange behavior is when it is connected to the computer via USB
> cable but is turned off. It shows up in the Device Manager under the USB
> port section as an "Unknown Device". I also get a little bubble error
> message from my taskbar that reads, "USB Device Not Recognized: One of
> the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows
> does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click
> this message." Clicking the message just shows me that an Unknown Device
> has appeared and nothing else. I have tried updating the Palm USB
> drivers, to no avail. I have been talking to Palm about this for three
> weeks, but after they sent me a few scripts they basically said, "We
> give up". Can anyone else tell me how to stop getting that little bubble
> to show up?

Try this. I used it to solve an unknown device problem with a USB memory
key.

1 - Start XP in safe mode, by pressing F8 repeatedly while the computer is
booting. Then select "Safe Mode" from the top of the list and press Enter.

2 - Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware >Device Manager. Select View,
and then show hidden devices. Select Storage Volumes (should be near the
bottom) then right click on (any) Generic Volume(s) and click "uninstall".
Do this repeatedly until they no longer uninstall. Do the same for any other
USB devices (leave the USB controllers section until last).

3 - Then go to the USB controllers section and uninstall everything that can
be found there. Don't worry, they will be re-detected on re-boot. When they
are all gone, re-boot the computer. The computer will detect your USB ports
and re-install them. It will probably ask you to re-start after this, but if
it does not, do it anyway.

4 - Plug in your USB device(s) and cross your fingers.

Marcus