P4V8X-X and XP SP2...

I am able to install XP Pro on my system. I then install the latest VIA
4in1 drivers and things continue to run fine. I then attempt to install XP
SP2 and the installation fails and leaves my system in a somewhat messed up
state.

So SP2 is failing to install. I do not know why, it appears to install
perfectly but then when the system reboots errors are encounter as XP starts
up again and XP gives the following error:

"Setup was interrupted. Restoring prior configuration."

I did not install the RAID driver, VGA driver or Audio Driver before
installing SP2 and I did not have a network card in the system.

Should I install all drivers and get the network up and working before
installing SP2?

Has anyone else had any problems installing SP2 on this motherboard?

Here is the hardware that is currently in the system:

ASUS P4V8X-X Motherboard
Intel P4 Northwood 3.06GHz with HT
1.5 GB PC2700 RAM (2 sticks Kinston Value RAM, 1 stick PNY)
e-GeForce FX 5700LE AGP Video Card
20.0 GB AT Maxtor D740X-6L Hard Drive
Lite-On LTR-24102B CD-RW Drive
EPO 16X DVD-ROM
Sony 3 1/2" Floppy

I am doing a clean install of the original XP Pro.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Marc

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Marc Guyott" <someone@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I am able to install XP Pro on my system. I then install the latest VIA
>4in1 drivers and things continue to run fine. I then attempt to install XP
>SP2 and the installation fails and leaves my system in a somewhat messed up
>state.
>
> So SP2 is failing to install. I do not know why, it appears to install
> perfectly but then when the system reboots errors are encounter as XP
> starts up again and XP gives the following error:
>
> "Setup was interrupted. Restoring prior configuration."
>
> I did not install the RAID driver, VGA driver or Audio Driver before
> installing SP2 and I did not have a network card in the system.
>
> Should I install all drivers and get the network up and working before
> installing SP2?
>
> Has anyone else had any problems installing SP2 on this motherboard?
>
> Here is the hardware that is currently in the system:
>
> ASUS P4V8X-X Motherboard
> Intel P4 Northwood 3.06GHz with HT
> 1.5 GB PC2700 RAM (2 sticks Kinston Value RAM, 1 stick PNY)
> e-GeForce FX 5700LE AGP Video Card
> 20.0 GB AT Maxtor D740X-6L Hard Drive
> Lite-On LTR-24102B CD-RW Drive
> EPO 16X DVD-ROM
> Sony 3 1/2" Floppy
>
> I am doing a clean install of the original XP Pro.
>
> Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
> Marc

I always install all drivers first, I start with the motherboard chipset
drivers.
Then I install SP2.

Steve

Thanks Steve!

That is my thinking too, to install XP, install all drivers, starting with
the chip set drivers, then get the network up and running and then try to
install SP2 over the network. If there is a problem then perhaps they have
addressed it in the version of SP2 you get over the network, though I am not
sure that is different then what is on the CD.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know that that is what you do and that it
works for you.

Marc

Marc Guyott wrote:

> Thanks Steve!
>
> That is my thinking too, to install XP, install all drivers, starting with
> the chip set drivers, then get the network up and running and then try to
> install SP2 over the network. If there is a problem then perhaps they have
> addressed it in the version of SP2 you get over the network, though I am not
> sure that is different then what is on the CD.
>
> Anyway, thanks for letting me know that that is what you do and that it
> works for you.
>
> Marc

FWIW, I recently upgraded all my systems from NT4 SP6a to XP Pro SP2.

I burned and used a slipstreamed SP2 CD, and was pleased at how smoothly
the upgrades went given many people have reported problems installing
SP2 separately.

If you continue to experience problems installing SP2, you might
consider using slipstreaming instead. Several tutorials are available, I
used this one:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

HTH

P2B

> "Steve" <two_one@w7.org> wrote in message
>
>>"Marc Guyott" <someone@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I am able to install XP Pro on my system. I then install the latest VIA
>>>4in1 drivers and things continue to run fine. I then attempt to install
>>>XP SP2 and the installation fails and leaves my system in a somewhat
>>>messed up state.
>>>
>>>So SP2 is failing to install. I do not know why, it appears to install
>>>perfectly but then when the system reboots errors are encounter as XP
>>>starts up again and XP gives the following error:
>>>
>>>"Setup was interrupted. Restoring prior configuration."
>>>
>>>I did not install the RAID driver, VGA driver or Audio Driver before
>>>installing SP2 and I did not have a network card in the system.
>>>
>>>Should I install all drivers and get the network up and working before
>>>installing SP2?
>>>
>>>Has anyone else had any problems installing SP2 on this motherboard?
>>>
>>>Here is the hardware that is currently in the system:
>>>
>>>ASUS P4V8X-X Motherboard
>>>Intel P4 Northwood 3.06GHz with HT
>>>1.5 GB PC2700 RAM (2 sticks Kinston Value RAM, 1 stick PNY)
>>>e-GeForce FX 5700LE AGP Video Card
>>>20.0 GB AT Maxtor D740X-6L Hard Drive
>>>Lite-On LTR-24102B CD-RW Drive
>>>EPO 16X DVD-ROM
>>>Sony 3 1/2" Floppy
>>>
>>>I am doing a clean install of the original XP Pro.
>>>
>>>Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
>>>Marc
>>>

>>I always install all drivers first, I start with the motherboard chipset
>>drivers.
>>Then I install SP2.
>>
>>Steve

Thanks P2B. I will definitely try this next. I can use the original XP Pro
but I would much rather be using XP Pro SP2.

Marc

"P2B" <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> Marc Guyott wrote:
>
>> Thanks Steve!
>>
>> That is my thinking too, to install XP, install all drivers, starting
>> with the chip set drivers, then get the network up and running and then
>> try to install SP2 over the network. If there is a problem then perhaps
>> they have addressed it in the version of SP2 you get over the network,
>> though I am not sure that is different then what is on the CD.
>>
>> Anyway, thanks for letting me know that that is what you do and that it
>> works for you.
>>
>> Marc
>
> FWIW, I recently upgraded all my systems from NT4 SP6a to XP Pro SP2.
>
> I burned and used a slipstreamed SP2 CD, and was pleased at how smoothly
> the upgrades went given many people have reported problems installing SP2
> separately.
>
> If you continue to experience problems installing SP2, you might consider
> using slipstreaming instead. Several tutorials are available, I used this
> one:
>
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
>
> HTH
>
> P2B
>

>> "Steve" <two_one@w7.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Marc Guyott" <someone@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>>I always install all drivers first, I start with the motherboard chipset
>>>drivers.
>>>Then I install SP2.
>>>
>>>Steve

Well I tried a slip streamed version of SP2 and the install got further then
it ever has before but it still died with the 0x0000000A error while it was
saving the configuration. Soooo close! :-}

So, since my original XP Pro install works my next plan is to do the
original install, apply all ASUS drivers, do Windows Update to get all the
updates upto but not including SP2 and then try installing SP2. Not sure
whether I should use the SP2 CD from Microsoft or get it via Windows update.
An ASUS tech emailed me back and suggested that I try this approach. They
said to use the CD but I wonder if the Windows Update version might not be a
little more current.

Wish me luck!

Marc

"Marc Guyott" <someone@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I am able to install XP Pro on my system. I then install the latest VIA
>4in1 drivers and things continue to run fine. I then attempt to install XP
>SP2 and the installation fails and leaves my system in a somewhat messed up
>state.
>
> So SP2 is failing to install. I do not know why, it appears to install
> perfectly but then when the system reboots errors are encounter as XP
> starts up again and XP gives the following error:
>
> "Setup was interrupted. Restoring prior configuration."
>
> I did not install the RAID driver, VGA driver or Audio Driver before
> installing SP2 and I did not have a network card in the system.
>
> Should I install all drivers and get the network up and working before
> installing SP2?
>
> Has anyone else had any problems installing SP2 on this motherboard?
>
> Here is the hardware that is currently in the system:
>
> ASUS P4V8X-X Motherboard
> Intel P4 Northwood 3.06GHz with HT
> 1.5 GB PC2700 RAM (2 sticks Kinston Value RAM, 1 stick PNY)
> e-GeForce FX 5700LE AGP Video Card
> 20.0 GB AT Maxtor D740X-6L Hard Drive
> Lite-On LTR-24102B CD-RW Drive
> EPO 16X DVD-ROM
> Sony 3 1/2" Floppy
>
> I am doing a clean install of the original XP Pro.
>
> Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
> Marc

Well, I finally figured out what was wrong and it turned out to be a bad
stick of memory. It took two weeks and over 40 hours of sweat but
everything is rock solid and I can now install any version of XP that I
want.

Just as an aside, I would be very careful about purchasing PNY memory. :-}

Thanks for everyone's help!

Marc

"Marc Guyott" <someone@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I am able to install XP Pro on my system. I then install the latest VIA
>4in1 drivers and things continue to run fine. I then attempt to install XP
>SP2 and the installation fails and leaves my system in a somewhat messed up
>state.
>
> So SP2 is failing to install. I do not know why, it appears to install
> perfectly but then when the system reboots errors are encounter as XP
> starts up again and XP gives the following error:
>
> "Setup was interrupted. Restoring prior configuration."
>
> I did not install the RAID driver, VGA driver or Audio Driver before
> installing SP2 and I did not have a network card in the system.
>
> Should I install all drivers and get the network up and working before
> installing SP2?
>
> Has anyone else had any problems installing SP2 on this motherboard?
>
> Here is the hardware that is currently in the system:
>
> ASUS P4V8X-X Motherboard
> Intel P4 Northwood 3.06GHz with HT
> 1.5 GB PC2700 RAM (2 sticks Kinston Value RAM, 1 stick PNY)
> e-GeForce FX 5700LE AGP Video Card
> 20.0 GB AT Maxtor D740X-6L Hard Drive
> Lite-On LTR-24102B CD-RW Drive
> EPO 16X DVD-ROM
> Sony 3 1/2" Floppy
>
> I am doing a clean install of the original XP Pro.
>
> Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
> Marc

Well, two more DDR DIMMs later and it turns out the problem was not the
memory but has something to do with my motherboard.

I am using an ASUS P4V8X-X (Rev 1.03, BIOS 1008) and I have three 512MB
DIMMs. If I only use the first two DIMM slots on the motherboard any
combination of my three DIMMs work. The minute I populate all three DIMMs
MemTest-86 V3.0 fails on test 5 in the upper 1/3 range of addresses.

The User Guide for this motherboard says that only two PC3200 DIMMs are
supported but I have three identical PC2700 DIMMs so they should all work.
I suspect I may have to tweak something in the BIOS.

Does anyone have any experience with this board and can give me some
insight?

Thanks in advance!
Marc