Home Wireless Networking - Netgear Router

abc

Hi-

My first post to the group. Apologies if this is something that's been
addressed recently.

My problem: Trying to figure out how to get my laptop to find my desktop on
a home wireless network, and vice-versa.

Structure: Both machines are Dell, relatively new (< 18 months old) and
running XP Home. Both machines connect wirelessly to a cable internet
connection using a Netgear router (MR814v2). The laptop uses a wireless card
that is internal; the desktop uses as external Netgear antennae (MA111).
Both machines have no trouble accessing the internet through the router.

Question: How do I get the two machines to find one another? I've tried
running network setup wizard through Windows; it seems to go through all the
steps appropriately, but I've no idea how to tell each machine where to look
for the other.

Can someone point me to a step-by-step explanation of how to make this
connection, or give me a quick explanation here? I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Kelley

www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey

"ABC" <kdstrawn@wisc.edu> wrote in message
> Hi-
>
> My first post to the group. Apologies if this is something that's been
> addressed recently.
>
> My problem: Trying to figure out how to get my laptop to find my desktop
> on a home wireless network, and vice-versa.
>
> Structure: Both machines are Dell, relatively new (< 18 months old) and
> running XP Home. Both machines connect wirelessly to a cable internet
> connection using a Netgear router (MR814v2). The laptop uses a wireless
> card that is internal; the desktop uses as external Netgear antennae
> (MA111). Both machines have no trouble accessing the internet through the
> router.
>
> Question: How do I get the two machines to find one another? I've tried
> running network setup wizard through Windows; it seems to go through all
> the steps appropriately, but I've no idea how to tell each machine where
> to look for the other.
>
> Can someone point me to a step-by-step explanation of how to make this
> connection, or give me a quick explanation here? I'd be grateful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kelley

abc

Thanks. I found a similar thread back on 1/10 and was about to repost and
let anyone who might be tempted to respond in detail to hold off a bit.

I'll work through your guidelines and report back.

Kelley

"Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>
> Carey
>
> "ABC" <kdstrawn@wisc.edu> wrote in message
>> Hi-
>>
>> My first post to the group. Apologies if this is something that's been
>> addressed recently.
>>
>> My problem: Trying to figure out how to get my laptop to find my desktop
>> on a home wireless network, and vice-versa.
>>
>> Structure: Both machines are Dell, relatively new (< 18 months old) and
>> running XP Home. Both machines connect wirelessly to a cable internet
>> connection using a Netgear router (MR814v2). The laptop uses a wireless
>> card that is internal; the desktop uses as external Netgear antennae
>> (MA111). Both machines have no trouble accessing the internet through the
>> router.
>>
>> Question: How do I get the two machines to find one another? I've tried
>> running network setup wizard through Windows; it seems to go through all
>> the steps appropriately, but I've no idea how to tell each machine where
>> to look for the other.
>>
>> Can someone point me to a step-by-step explanation of how to make this
>> connection, or give me a quick explanation here? I'd be grateful.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kelley

abc

The issue was the Norton firewall. I didn't, btw, have to uninstall it. I
just ran the Norton internet zones wizard and it figured it out on its own.

Thanks!

Kelley

"Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>
> Carey
>
> "ABC" <kdstrawn@wisc.edu> wrote in message
>> Hi-
>>
>> My first post to the group. Apologies if this is something that's been
>> addressed recently.
>>
>> My problem: Trying to figure out how to get my laptop to find my desktop
>> on a home wireless network, and vice-versa.
>>
>> Structure: Both machines are Dell, relatively new (< 18 months old) and
>> running XP Home. Both machines connect wirelessly to a cable internet
>> connection using a Netgear router (MR814v2). The laptop uses a wireless
>> card that is internal; the desktop uses as external Netgear antennae
>> (MA111). Both machines have no trouble accessing the internet through the
>> router.
>>
>> Question: How do I get the two machines to find one another? I've tried
>> running network setup wizard through Windows; it seems to go through all
>> the steps appropriately, but I've no idea how to tell each machine where
>> to look for the other.
>>
>> Can someone point me to a step-by-step explanation of how to make this
>> connection, or give me a quick explanation here? I'd be grateful.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kelley

Glad to hear that! Please sign my guestbook at www.careyholzman.com (the
link is in the lower left corner)

Thanks for the update!

> The issue was the Norton firewall. I didn't, btw, have to uninstall it. I
> just ran the Norton internet zones wizard and it figured it out on its
> own.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kelley
>

> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
>> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "ABC" <kdstrawn@wisc.edu> wrote in message
>>> Hi-
>>>
>>> My first post to the group. Apologies if this is something that's been
>>> addressed recently.
>>>
>>> My problem: Trying to figure out how to get my laptop to find my desktop
>>> on a home wireless network, and vice-versa.
>>>
>>> Structure: Both machines are Dell, relatively new (< 18 months old) and
>>> running XP Home. Both machines connect wirelessly to a cable internet
>>> connection using a Netgear router (MR814v2). The laptop uses a wireless
>>> card that is internal; the desktop uses as external Netgear antennae
>>> (MA111). Both machines have no trouble accessing the internet through
>>> the router.
>>>
>>> Question: How do I get the two machines to find one another? I've tried
>>> running network setup wizard through Windows; it seems to go through all
>>> the steps appropriately, but I've no idea how to tell each machine where
>>> to look for the other.
>>>
>>> Can someone point me to a step-by-step explanation of how to make this
>>> connection, or give me a quick explanation here? I'd be grateful.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Kelley

abc

Happy to sign in. I meant to do it before but was preoccupied with solving
the problem. Thanks once again!

> Glad to hear that! Please sign my guestbook at www.careyholzman.com (the
> link is in the lower left corner)
>
> Thanks for the update!
> Carey
>
> "ABC" <kdstrawn@wisc.edu> wrote in message
>>
>> The issue was the Norton firewall. I didn't, btw, have to uninstall it. I
>> just ran the Norton internet zones wizard and it figured it out on its
>> own.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Kelley
>>

>> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
>>> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>>>
>>> Carey
>>>
>>> "ABC" <kdstrawn@wisc.edu> wrote in message

Thanks but you made it private so no one could see it...