Boot Sequence Question

patch

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001

My A7V133 Asus MB is causing a small problem. For the last few weeks when I
boot up a menu pops up asking what boot device I want to use.

"
1. FX4830T (my CD-Rom)
2. Lite-On LTR (my cd-r)
3. Floppy
4. SCSI
"

I want it to try the floppy first, then the hard-drive. I've gone into the
BIOS, but have had no luck in changing the boot sequence. Can some kind soul
tell me in plain talk how to do this?

Thanks

Actually, this is the exact menu I am trying to find a way to get
to display on purpose!!! (see my posting above 01/09/2005 10:35 AM Eastern).

This menu, overrides the boot sequence you have set in BIOS. Basically,
BIOS has determined that something is wrong, and is asking you to select
what is the correct device to use, FOR THIS ONE BOOT.

There is no sequence. It is up to you, as the human, to know where you
want this ONE BOOT to take place from (you need to pick the CD-ROM, or
the CD-R, or the Floppy or SCSI device). The BIOS trusts that you
will pick wisely and correctly.

Why are you getting this menu?

Possibly, you have something wrong set in your BIOS Boot Sequence Setup,
that is causing an error to occur. An example would be trying to use
a defective, or otherwise not available, device. Also, are any of your
boot device external, and therefore, possibly not always connected or not
always powered up? There is a BIG difference between a device being
there, but having no media (it will still respond), and the device
itself not being there (there is nothing to respond to a BIOS read
request).

"Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com> wrote:
>My A7V133 Asus MB is causing a small problem. For the last few weeks when I
>boot up a menu pops up asking what boot device I want to use.
>
>"
>1. FX4830T (my CD-Rom)
>2. Lite-On LTR (my cd-r)
>3. Floppy
>4. SCSI
>"
>
>I want it to try the floppy first, then the hard-drive. I've gone into the
>BIOS, but have had no luck in changing the boot sequence. Can some kind soul
>tell me in plain talk how to do this?
>
>Thanks

You have to go in to the bios and change the boot sequence by
selecting a device and press -(down) +(up) to move it. The usual
setting would be (in your case) :
1.Floppy
2.FX4830T (my CD-Rom)
3.HDD0 (or the drivename your windows is on) (*)
(Lite-On LTR (my cd-r) Not necessary, 1 cdrom-device is enough)

(*) I think the problem you have is that it can't find a suitable boot
device, because it should be on HDD0 instead of SCSI.

Nickeldome