File transfer from old computer to new???

OK, I've gotten the Asus A8V motherboard and Athlon 3200 up and
running, XP installed. What is the easiest/quickest way I can connect
the new computer to my old one to get all my work files? Firewire,
USB, or Ethernet connection?

jeff

1. You can use a network crossover cable connecting the two PC's
This requires that you buy or build a crossover cable. The transfer will
only be as fast as your NIC allows.

2. you can temporally install the HD from the old PC into the new PC and
copy the files.
This cost nothing, takes 5 minutes, and has a faster transfer speed.

Jeff

arctec@alltel.net wrote:
> OK, I've gotten the Asus A8V motherboard and Athlon 3200 up and
> running, XP installed. What is the easiest/quickest way I can connect
> the new computer to my old one to get all my work files? Firewire,
> USB, or Ethernet connection?

Quickest and easiest connection is ethernet.

Quickest transfer is installing the hard drive. By a long way.

Ben

"Ben Pope" <ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> arctec@alltel.net wrote:
>> OK, I've gotten the Asus A8V motherboard and Athlon 3200 up and
>> running, XP installed. What is the easiest/quickest way I can connect
>> the new computer to my old one to get all my work files? Firewire,
>> USB, or Ethernet connection?
>
> Quickest and easiest connection is ethernet.
>
> Quickest transfer is installing the hard drive. By a long way.

Just to expand a little on that, one would temporarily install the hard
drive from the old machine into the new machine - usually as a slave on the
primary IDE bus (which requires changing the jumper on the drive). Most
computers have an extra connector on the ribbon cable for the second hard
drive. If there isn't one there, you can buy an IDE cable with three
connectors for cheap. You might also need a splitter for the power cable if
there isn't an unused one available already in the machine.

Tom S

Tom S wrote:

> "Ben Pope" <ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>arctec@alltel.net wrote:
>>
>>>OK, I've gotten the Asus A8V motherboard and Athlon 3200 up and
>>>running, XP installed. What is the easiest/quickest way I can connect
>>>the new computer to my old one to get all my work files? Firewire,
>>>USB, or Ethernet connection?
>>
>>Quickest and easiest connection is ethernet.
>>
>>Quickest transfer is installing the hard drive. By a long way.
>

> Just to expand a little on that, one would temporarily install the hard
> drive from the old machine into the new machine - usually as a slave on the
> primary IDE bus (which requires changing the jumper on the drive). Most
> computers have an extra connector on the ribbon cable for the second hard
> drive. If there isn't one there, you can buy an IDE cable with three
> connectors for cheap. You might also need a splitter for the power cable if
> there isn't an unused one available already in the machine.
>
> Tom S

I would choose restore from backup as the quickest and easiest solution.
If it's not, perhaps the backup system is deficient - or non-existent ;-)

P2B