A7V266-E/AA not recognizing large drive.

I have an Asus A7V266-E/AA motherboard. I recently purchased a Seagate 200Gb
hard drive. The bios is not recognizing the full capacity of the drive. The
bios states the size as 8GB. I then installed the drive on an Abit KT7 board
and it recognizes the drive properly. According to the Asus website, bios
versions 1005 and greater have 48 bit addressing. The bios I have installed is
version 1006. I found a webpage,
http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/info/bios/#266e, which has even higher
revision numbers but those are for the A7V266-E. Would it be ok to try and
flash a -E bios on a -E/AA board?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

David Farber wrote:
> I have an Asus A7V266-E/AA motherboard. I recently purchased a Seagate 200Gb
> hard drive. The bios is not recognizing the full capacity of the drive. The
> bios states the size as 8GB. I then installed the drive on an Abit KT7 board
> and it recognizes the drive properly. According to the Asus website, bios
> versions 1005 and greater have 48 bit addressing. The bios I have installed is
> version 1006. I found a webpage,
> http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/info/bios/#266e, which has even higher
> revision numbers but those are for the A7V266-E. Would it be ok to try and
> flash a -E bios on a -E/AA board?
>
> Thanks for your reply.

What OS?

> > I have an Asus A7V266-E/AA motherboard. I recently purchased a Seagate
200Gb
> > hard drive. The bios is not recognizing the full capacity of the drive.
The
> > bios states the size as 8GB. I then installed the drive on an Abit KT7
board
> > and it recognizes the drive properly. According to the Asus website,
bios
> > versions 1005 and greater have 48 bit addressing. The bios I have
installed is
> > version 1006. I found a webpage,
> > http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/info/bios/#266e, which has even higher
> > revision numbers but those are for the A7V266-E. Would it be ok to try
and
> > flash a -E bios on a -E/AA board?
> >
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> What OS?

I tried DOS, Windows 98, and XP. None of them reads the capacity correctly.
I know about the 137GB capacity limitations with Windows 98 but I can't even
get the partition sizes to make sense.

David Farber wrote:
> [...]
What sevice pack level XP?

>Subject: Re: A7V266-E/AA not recognizing large drive.
>From: tomcas tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com
>Date: 01/12/2005 3:32 AM Pacific Standard Time
>
>David Farber wrote:

XP level 1. But I don't understand what this has to do with the bios
recognizing the correct capacity of the hard drive. Here's an interesting (and
quick) reply I received from Asus when I e-mailed them about this problem:

<begin reply>
Dear Friend :

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is App and I would be assisting you today.Let's discuss this
issue together.

Yes,bios version above 1005 can support 48bit addressing HDD.
Also I am glad to help you to update bios.This is my suggest:
It is easy to update bios under windows .

1. Please install the ASUS UPDATE , you can find it in Drivers
CD/software/asusupdt , install it .
if you lose your drivers CD , you can download it from here:

http://file2.mydrivers.com/board/asus_update53001.zip

2. Please check the attachment file ,this is the latest released version bios
of your motherboard, decompress it to any folder you like.

3. run ASUS UPDATE from START-PROGRAM-ASUS-ASUS Update-ASUS Update, select
"Update BIOS from a file" ,choose file type to all type,then specify the BIOS
image file you have decompressed , confirm to update .Remember cancel the
option "Clear CMOS checksum to load default setting"

4. When flash finish, it will ask you to reboot your PC , do it .

Hope it helps!

If having any problems, please don't hesitate to let me know.

<end reply>

The bios file that was attached to my e-mail was the same bios that I was
already running, 1006. I installed it anyway and of course, it made no
difference. I sent a reply to Asus explaining that and haven't heard back yet.

Thanks for your reply.

--

David Farber wrote:

>>What sevice pack level XP?
>>

> XP level 1. But I don't understand what this has to do with the bios
> recognizing the correct capacity of the hard drive.

from this page-
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B303013

"Note Windows XP does not support 48-bit LBA support unless you are
running Windows XP SP1. If you want to use 48-bit LBA support, you must
apply Windows XP SP1 or later. "

"tomcas" <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message
> David Farber wrote:
>

> >>What sevice pack level XP?
> >>

> > XP level 1. But I don't understand what this has to do with the bios
> > recognizing the correct capacity of the hard drive.
>
> from this page-
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B303013
>
> "Note Windows XP does not support 48-bit LBA support unless you are
> running Windows XP SP1. If you want to use 48-bit LBA support, you must
> apply Windows XP SP1 or later. "

I decided to flash the newer v.1011 bios even though it is not specifically
listed under the A7V266-E/AA list. It's only on the A7V266-E list. I booted
to DOS mode, ran the aflash utility, then restarted. The BIOS now shows the
full 200GB capacity. I am quite disappointed that Asus didn't know this
simple technical fact. Here is what they had to say,

<begin e-mail>

Dear Friend :

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is ZYC, and I would be assisting you today.

Please install system like WIN2000+SP4 or WINXP+SP1,

during the installation,it allows you create a main partition on your
harddisk for boot
partition(you can set it to 10GB or 5GB) , format this partition to continue
installation,you do not need to make others partiton.

after this , install the system chipset driver in order to make windows
system recognize
your motherboard IDE controller , you can find it in your motherboard
drivers CD , or you
can download it from here:

http://file.mydrivers.com/board/VIA_IDE_MPD_V320b.zip

When it ask you if you want to install the NV IDE Switcher ,

please confirm to install this part .

then reboot .

After this , enter Windows-control panel-administrative tools-computer
managment-disk
management , you will find the free disk space which is not partitioned,
just make
partitions on it and format it ,you will get full capacity of your harddisk
..

Thank you for using ASUS products and services!

If you have any problem about our products, you can visit our support site
below to search the solution at the first time!

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/support.aspx

ZYC

ASUS Customer Service Center (Beijing)

*If you have any suggestion or complaints about our tech support service,
please send your valuable info to support@asus.com.cn , we arrange
specilists to handle relative issue, your suggestion may give us more
elicitation to serve our customers much better.