Motorola Wireless Networking Kit available at Radio Shack

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
January 14, 2005 7:59:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I'll be getting cable internet soon, and I want to share access with another
desktop and laptop. I'm a complete newbie as fat as networking of any kind
goes. I've been reading through various newgroups and websites trying to
get the basics down. Radio Shack has a wireless networking kit by Motorola
that includes a router, PCI adapter, and PCMCIA card. I was wondering if
anyone had any opinions on Motorola products. Thanks!

BR

Here's a link for the kit:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 14, 2005 7:59:42 PM

Just FYI, that will allow only your laptop to be wireless. It comes with a
Ethernet NIC to install in your desktop which you then connect, via ethernec
cable, to the router. So unless you have your Cable/DSL modem near your
desktop, you are SOL.

I have my DSL Modem and Wireless router centralized in my home for max range
on my signal. This way I have my desktop in my room, my daughters desktop in
her room and my wife roams the house and back yard with her laptop.

Motorolla products were alot more popular in years past, but have fallen
since price drops on wireless equipment. I remember when the big thing was
HRF (HomeRF Protocol) and Motorolla and Intel were purchasing all thier
product from Proxim Inc.

Hope this helps.....
"BR549" <br549@mindless.com> wrote in message
> I'll be getting cable internet soon, and I want to share access with
> another desktop and laptop. I'm a complete newbie as fat as networking of
> any kind goes. I've been reading through various newgroups and websites
> trying to get the basics down. Radio Shack has a wireless networking kit
> by Motorola that includes a router, PCI adapter, and PCMCIA card. I was
> wondering if anyone had any opinions on Motorola products. Thanks!
>
> BR
>
> Here's a link for the kit:
>
> http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 15, 2005 3:05:42 AM

In alt.internet.wireless BR549 <br549@mindless.com> wrote:
> I'll be getting cable internet soon, and I want to share access with
> another desktop and laptop. I'm a complete newbie as fat as networking
> of any kind goes. I've been reading through various newgroups and
> websites trying to get the basics down. Radio Shack has a wireless
> networking kit by Motorola that includes a router, PCI adapter, and
> PCMCIA card. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on Motorola
> products. Thanks!

> http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...

That is a wired connection for the desktop, and a wireless card for the
laptop, probably pretty typical. I know nothing about Motorola WiFi. The
common brands are Linksys, Netgear, and Dlink. Belkin is getting popular,
but seem to have more detractors posting here that supporters. The other
brands seem about equally divided between love and hate. I have Linksys
and Netgear now, and I like them both.

You could get set up with Amazon for $65-75.
Some people think you need a wired connection to the router for initial
setup, but that's not true.

Amazon.com Netgear WGB511 802.11g Wireless Networking Kit
$74.99 - $25 = 49.99 Router and PCMCIA card that I have.
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000117DG...;

Add a NETGEAR WG111 Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
$34.99 - 10.00 = 24.99 to put on the desktop if you want it wireless.
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001LS0Z...;
You can move this one around for best positioning.
The internal Netgear WG311 54 Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter
is the same price, but the antenna is right at the back of your computer,
which might not be optimal.
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009YW8...;

Netgear FA311 TX 10/100 Ethernet Card
$15.99 is the only wired Netgear low speed card at Amazon.
I've seen wired cards in other brands for $9.99 locally.

Amazon Netgear page:
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/908752/re...;

--
---