DVD RW/CD RW plug and play installation failure

Hello,

I unsuccessfully attempted to remove and replace a
defective CD RW into my Pentium II 2.4ghz computer
running windows XP.

Upon reboot I get the following message:
Primary hard disk drive 1 not found
Secondary hard disk drive 0 not found
Press F1 to continue or F2 to run setup utility

This dialogue appears upon each restart

In the set up utility neither my existing DVR ROM or the
new DVD RW/CD RW drives appear.

I have changed the boot order to the CD drive in hopes
that windows would pickup the installation program.

How come windows can't discover either of these drives to
initiate an installation wizard?

If anyone has any references or suggestions I would be
appreciative.

Thank you,

Larry Hyatt

System restore will not allow me to restore to the last
restore point. I thought I may be able to get the DVD
running to install the software for the new drive. No
luck...

Sounds like you have misconfigured the jumpers at the rear of the drives.
www.coribright.com

"Larry Hyatt" <llhyatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I unsuccessfully attempted to remove and replace a
> defective CD RW into my Pentium II 2.4ghz computer
> running windows XP.
>
> Upon reboot I get the following message:
> Primary hard disk drive 1 not found
> Secondary hard disk drive 0 not found
> Press F1 to continue or F2 to run setup utility
>
> This dialogue appears upon each restart
>
> In the set up utility neither my existing DVR ROM or the
> new DVD RW/CD RW drives appear.
>
> I have changed the boot order to the CD drive in hopes
> that windows would pickup the installation program.
>
> How come windows can't discover either of these drives to
> initiate an installation wizard?
>
> If anyone has any references or suggestions I would be
> appreciative.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Larry Hyatt

Well no, because the POST test can't understand which drive it is supposed
to make primary and which secondary.