anyone have an idea what could be wrong with my A7N8X BIOS..

Hello,
I am asking my question here, after talking to an Asus Tech
was going to RMA my MoBo due to what we thought was a
corrupted BIOS, but now looks like it might be PSU issue
but not really sure

ASUS A7N8X 2.0 Deluxe
BIOS rev 1008 (1003 when problem started)
CPU AMD 3000/333 ATHLON XP Barton
Corsair XMS 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
Saphire Radeon 9700 pro 128
Antec TrueBlue 480 PSU

My current system had been doing very well until a little while ago.
pressing power button - system would powerup, but nothing would happen
everything (drive,fans,etc) would have power and be on, but BIOS would
not start loading, nor would there be any beeps.
turning the system off, by holding in the power button, then turning
it back on and it would be begin booting.

going into BIOS and making changing, then picking to save often
it will save normally and restart, but often it will either blank
the screen and do nothing or leave some sort of video artifacting
and hang in, either case BIOS will not be saved.

recently, it became harder to get the system
now if it doesn't start up right away, I found
the only way to get it to boot was if I clear the CMOS
it will boot up, but getting it to save the right BIOS
could take several tries as instead of saving
just go blank.

so this is the point i wrote Asus tech and was
getting ready to RMA the MoBo, then i decided to
change out the last thing in the system that i hadn't
the PSU. Now with a new PSU the system starts right up
and the BIOS save normally. So now i figure it is the
PSU, but i break out my Multi-meter and check the
old PSU and everything (atleast with no load) is right
on the money.

so now i am still testing it with the new PSU to
see if the problem shows up again or not.

wrote Antec, but not gotten any word back from them

i am clueless as to what could be wrong with the PSU
that would be an issue just when starting up and saving the BIOS
4 answers Last reply
More about anyone idea wrong a7n8x bios

    In article <ojr3u01umto9s00p7is35v1hrfs37jn6vl@4ax.com>, goatX
    <goatX@nospam.com> wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I am asking my question here, after talking to an Asus Tech
    > was going to RMA my MoBo due to what we thought was a
    > corrupted BIOS, but now looks like it might be PSU issue
    > but not really sure
    >
    > ASUS A7N8X 2.0 Deluxe
    > BIOS rev 1008 (1003 when problem started)
    > CPU AMD 3000/333 ATHLON XP Barton
    > Corsair XMS 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
    > Saphire Radeon 9700 pro 128
    > Antec TrueBlue 480 PSU
    >
    > My current system had been doing very well until a little while ago.
    > pressing power button - system would powerup, but nothing would happen
    > everything (drive,fans,etc) would have power and be on, but BIOS would
    > not start loading, nor would there be any beeps.
    > turning the system off, by holding in the power button, then turning
    > it back on and it would be begin booting.
    >
    > going into BIOS and making changing, then picking to save often
    > it will save normally and restart, but often it will either blank
    > the screen and do nothing or leave some sort of video artifacting
    > and hang in, either case BIOS will not be saved.
    >
    > recently, it became harder to get the system
    > now if it doesn't start up right away, I found
    > the only way to get it to boot was if I clear the CMOS
    > it will boot up, but getting it to save the right BIOS
    > could take several tries as instead of saving
    > just go blank.
    >
    > so this is the point i wrote Asus tech and was
    > getting ready to RMA the MoBo, then i decided to
    > change out the last thing in the system that i hadn't
    > the PSU. Now with a new PSU the system starts right up
    > and the BIOS save normally. So now i figure it is the
    > PSU, but i break out my Multi-meter and check the
    > old PSU and everything (atleast with no load) is right
    > on the money.
    >
    > so now i am still testing it with the new PSU to
    > see if the problem shows up again or not.
    >
    > wrote Antec, but not gotten any word back from them
    >
    > i am clueless as to what could be wrong with the PSU
    > that would be an issue just when starting up and saving the BIOS

    Testing a power supply is difficult to do by hand. Ideally
    you'd want to test its static and dynamic (load step)
    performance, and that implies some expensive test
    equipment for the dynamic part. You can test the
    static performance, by purchasing load resistors,
    but large load resistors are not something you'll find
    at Radio Shack.

    The weakest link on your supply, could be +5VSB, the
    standby supply. It could be that the standby supply is
    dropping out while the BIOS settings are being recorded.
    That seems highly unlikely, but as the +5VSB is only
    good for a couple of amps, it is the least able to defend
    itself. (Note that the +5VSB powers the supervisory circuits
    on the PSU, and on the motherboard. A momentary dropout on
    +5VSB is magnified by the PSU shutting down internally, and
    all its outputs will wink for a moment. That could be how you
    are getting video artifacts - +5VSB goes for an instant and
    the rest of the computer is struck dumb by the after-effects.)

    I've measured load current on my A7N8X-E, and on the regular
    +5V supply, my Mobile running as a 3200+ draws a little more
    than 16 amps running Prime95, and 10 amps while sitting idle
    in the desktop. That doesn't include video card current, and
    my 9800 card draws another 5 amps from +5V when doing 3D gaming.
    So, you'd need a 20 amps load on the regular +5V, to simulate
    a well loaded A7N8X board. The other rails use much smaller
    currents. (+12V is mainly cooling fan current, +3.3V is around
    5 to 6.5 amps. Video card aux cable current not included in
    those figures.)

    As for Asus, the contact page mentions http://helpdesk.asus.com/
    for North American customers. There is also vip.asus.com , but
    I don't know what registering there will do for you. I would
    recommend phoning them - it is a toll call (no 1-800), but
    at least talking to someone, you can iron out the correct
    procedure to get an RMA number and an address to send the
    product. I think Asus wants you to fill out a problem report
    on the web page, before phoning them, as the tech can then
    refer to your info on his/her screen while you talk, and that
    can save time (and your dime). Asus also offers to call back
    when they are busy, but they don't always follow through.
    But if a new PSU is fixing things for you, then hold onto
    the board.

    For Antec, I've heard of people getting through to someone
    to straighten out USB port issues on Antec computer cases, but
    I've never heard of anyone being successful at replacing an
    Antec supply under warranty. I suppose you could use some
    of the info on this page, to find out what the warranty
    is on a Truepower:

    http://www.antec.com/us/warranty.php?value=en&Submit=Submit

    At least one Asus board has had trouble with all models of
    Antec Truepower. The initial batch of boards seemed to latch
    into a state where Vcore powered down, and it could be
    something to do with the Truepower taking too long to reach
    full rail voltage. Asus repaired those boards under RMA, and
    it is presumed a component value change was made on the
    motherboard. That board was one of the many P4P800/P4C800
    family boards, so wasn't an AMD board, and the problem was
    limited to the initial production run of boards (when the
    product was introduced). If Vcore won't run, a board like
    that won't POST. The people suffering from the problem were
    able to work around it, by using a different brand of power
    supply. It was just Antec Truepower that didn't work. That
    is the only example I can remember of a PSU related startup
    problem, where both the PSU and motherboard were in fact
    fully functional, but didn't get along with one another.

    HTH,
    Paul

    "goatX" <goatX@nospam.com> wrote in message

    Did you change the cmos battery? Could well be the root of your
    problems.

    --
    Ian

    goatX wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am asking my question here, after talking to an Asus Tech
    > was going to RMA my MoBo due to what we thought was a
    > corrupted BIOS, but now looks like it might be PSU issue
    > but not really sure
    >
    > ASUS A7N8X 2.0 Deluxe
    > BIOS rev 1008 (1003 when problem started)
    > CPU AMD 3000/333 ATHLON XP Barton
    > Corsair XMS 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
    > Saphire Radeon 9700 pro 128
    > Antec TrueBlue 480 PSU
    >
    > My current system had been doing very well until a little while ago.
    > pressing power button - system would powerup, but nothing would
    happen
    > everything (drive,fans,etc) would have power and be on, but BIOS
    would
    > not start loading, nor would there be any beeps.
    > turning the system off, by holding in the power button, then turning
    > it back on and it would be begin booting.
    >
    > going into BIOS and making changing, then picking to save often
    > it will save normally and restart, but often it will either blank
    > the screen and do nothing or leave some sort of video artifacting
    > and hang in, either case BIOS will not be saved.
    >
    > recently, it became harder to get the system
    > now if it doesn't start up right away, I found
    > the only way to get it to boot was if I clear the CMOS
    > it will boot up, but getting it to save the right BIOS
    > could take several tries as instead of saving
    > just go blank.
    >
    > so this is the point i wrote Asus tech and was
    > getting ready to RMA the MoBo, then i decided to
    > change out the last thing in the system that i hadn't
    > the PSU. Now with a new PSU the system starts right up
    > and the BIOS save normally. So now i figure it is the
    > PSU, but i break out my Multi-meter and check the
    > old PSU and everything (atleast with no load) is right
    > on the money.
    >
    > so now i am still testing it with the new PSU to
    > see if the problem shows up again or not.
    >
    > wrote Antec, but not gotten any word back from them
    >
    > i am clueless as to what could be wrong with the PSU
    > that would be an issue just when starting up and saving the BIOS

    It could very well be the power supply. Most modern power switching
    power supplies have a soft-start feature, so that they don't cause
    large voltage and current spikes. This sometimes defeats the turn-on of
    some processors because the power supply is not yet stabilized when the
    processor begins the boot-up process. There is a voltage good signal
    but this may not be functioning correctly. However, it may still be a
    MOBO problem with the low voltage converter circuit and how it behaves
    with the power supply. In any case, if the new PS fixes it, assume that
    life is good.

    Arnie

    thanks for the info

    computer is still working (knock on wood) :)

    i wrote both Asus and Antec again.
    Antec RMA'd the PSU, so i sending that off shortly
    the Asus tech doesn't think it is totally the PSU,
    so when i get more time, going to have to do some stress testing
    and stuff

    thanks again

Asus BIOS Motherboards