Device Driver Not Recognized on Install

July 26, 2004 12:21:20 PM

I am installing linksys hardware, but I have called them
and run through their technical support and they have
come to the conclusion that the following issue is
software/OS related rather than device related.

Please help me in any way possible - I have been owrking
on this issue for 3 days with nothing yet but failure -
Thank You in advance!

Hardware/Software involved:
WinXP Pro
WUSB11 v3.0 Linksys wireless Adapter (NOT ABLE TO INSTALL)
WMP54G Linksys Wireless PCI Adapter (NOT ABLE TO INSTALL)
CNET Ethernet PCI Adapter (INSTALLED)

The two wireless adapters work great on other computers,
but on this one I am having trouble.

Since they have been installed/uninstalled frequently,
here is something I have noticed in the device manager:

There are "Packet Scheduler Miniport" Listings that only
show up if I show the hidden items in the device
manager. The actual hardware listing is gone, but these
listing still remain. I believe this is a symptom of
whatever the problem is.

I have used the linksys install utility that you are not
supposed to use on XP, in an attempt to get around the
problem with it not recognizing the drivers for the
hardware, but it installed a WLAN monitor and the driver
independant of the actual hardware - the hardware would
still be listed as unknown.

I have only tried one wireless adapter at a time, and I
have also tried switching PCI slots and USB ports
depending on which adapter I'm trying to use.

I have uninstalled the WLAN monitor, as XP does not need
it. However, There are the several listing of the packet
scheduler miniports left in device manager, which lead me
to believe that there are files left behind or registry
entries somewhere I need to remove.

I am using the most recent and the correct drivers, and
the devices work properly on my other machines. I have
tried the whole rebooting/uninstalling the hardware on
the list, ETC, but it all ends in the same problem.

When I attempt to uninstall the packet scheduler
miniports, I recieve the following error message:

---------------------------
Device Manager
---------------------------
Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be
required to boot up the computer.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

I have attempted to disable these listings, and uninstall
on the next boot or in safe mode, but this also fails.

Thank You again in advance for your help, and I hope to
hear from you all soon! Please if you do not know the
solution, please forward me to a place that would hold
the answers, or a place I should be posting in that I
would probably get an answer from.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Benjamin
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 7:35:39 PM

Benjamin, need more info about your computer. Update SP1 installed?
"Benjamin" <dragonswork@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am installing linksys hardware, but I have called them
> and run through their technical support and they have
> come to the conclusion that the following issue is
> software/OS related rather than device related.
>
> Please help me in any way possible - I have been owrking
> on this issue for 3 days with nothing yet but failure -
> Thank You in advance!
>
> Hardware/Software involved:
> WinXP Pro
> WUSB11 v3.0 Linksys wireless Adapter (NOT ABLE TO INSTALL)
> WMP54G Linksys Wireless PCI Adapter (NOT ABLE TO INSTALL)
> CNET Ethernet PCI Adapter (INSTALLED)
>
> The two wireless adapters work great on other computers,
> but on this one I am having trouble.
>
> Since they have been installed/uninstalled frequently,
> here is something I have noticed in the device manager:
>
> There are "Packet Scheduler Miniport" Listings that only
> show up if I show the hidden items in the device
> manager. The actual hardware listing is gone, but these
> listing still remain. I believe this is a symptom of
> whatever the problem is.
>
> I have used the linksys install utility that you are not
> supposed to use on XP, in an attempt to get around the
> problem with it not recognizing the drivers for the
> hardware, but it installed a WLAN monitor and the driver
> independant of the actual hardware - the hardware would
> still be listed as unknown.
>
> I have only tried one wireless adapter at a time, and I
> have also tried switching PCI slots and USB ports
> depending on which adapter I'm trying to use.
>
> I have uninstalled the WLAN monitor, as XP does not need
> it. However, There are the several listing of the packet
> scheduler miniports left in device manager, which lead me
> to believe that there are files left behind or registry
> entries somewhere I need to remove.
>
> I am using the most recent and the correct drivers, and
> the devices work properly on my other machines. I have
> tried the whole rebooting/uninstalling the hardware on
> the list, ETC, but it all ends in the same problem.
>
> When I attempt to uninstall the packet scheduler
> miniports, I recieve the following error message:
>
> ---------------------------
> Device Manager
> ---------------------------
> Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be
> required to boot up the computer.
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
>
> I have attempted to disable these listings, and uninstall
> on the next boot or in safe mode, but this also fails.
>
> Thank You again in advance for your help, and I hope to
> hear from you all soon! Please if you do not know the
> solution, please forward me to a place that would hold
> the answers, or a place I should be posting in that I
> would probably get an answer from.
>
> THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
>
> Benjamin
July 26, 2004 10:32:42 PM

All updates available on the Windows Update site have
been installed.

July 27, 2004 1:43:04 AM

Okay, first off, you will need to have the Wireless Zero Configuration
Service enabled if your Wireless adapters don't come with software that
can configure them. This is most likely not a problem here, but I
wanted to make sure you understand that.

It sounds like you have installed and uninstalled these wireless
adapters many times. Have you tried uninstalling them through the
registry? Here is what I would do. Remove both wireless adapter cards
from your computer. Uninstall any software/drivers that have to do with
these wireless adapters. Now open Regedit and navigate to
HKLM-System-CCS-Enum-PCI (for the PCI Card) and HKLM-System-CCS-Enum-USB
(for the USB Wireless card). Now check under each of these for the
Vid_Xxxx (USB) and VEN_Xxxx (PCI) folders that contain information about
your adapters. Remove all folders (Starting with Vid_Xxxx or VEN_Xxxx)
that have anything to do with your wireless adapters under them. Now
reboot and let Windows fully load. Now follow the instructions that came
with each of these adapters. Some say to install the software first,
then plug in the wireless cards. Some say to install the card first,
then install the software. Check the Installation Guide that came with
your product to see what to do.

As for that miniport, you should search the registry for anything
pertaining to this and simply remove the key/folder that it is listed
under. Do this ONLY if you know what you are looking for and what you
are doing.

----
Nathan McNulty

Benjamin wrote:
> All updates available on the Windows Update site have
> been installed.

July 27, 2004 7:17:49 AM

Thank You very much for this next step - I would be very
grateful if you knew how to get rid of the miniports. If
you go in to device manager and "Show Hiddn Devices" or
whatever, you will probably also see the miniports listed
under network adapters.

I hope this helps you assist me further...

July 27, 2004 1:35:33 PM

Were you advised to use System restore and choose a checkpoint prior to the first attempt to load these devices?

I would start there, follow up with updating the Windows system [Windows Update] and choose any relevant updates for the Hardware configuration you have.

Then attempt to install one of these devices, if it fails call Linksys again.

Again, do not use any non-compliant software from Linksys as it only invites problems. You'll load up wrong dll's etc.

"Benjamin" wrote:

> I am installing linksys hardware, but I have called them
> and run through their technical support and they have
> come to the conclusion that the following issue is
> software/OS related rather than device related.
>
> Please help me in any way possible - I have been owrking
> on this issue for 3 days with nothing yet but failure -
> Thank You in advance!
>
> Hardware/Software involved:
> WinXP Pro
> WUSB11 v3.0 Linksys wireless Adapter (NOT ABLE TO INSTALL)
> WMP54G Linksys Wireless PCI Adapter (NOT ABLE TO INSTALL)
> CNET Ethernet PCI Adapter (INSTALLED)
>
> The two wireless adapters work great on other computers,
> but on this one I am having trouble.
>
> Since they have been installed/uninstalled frequently,
> here is something I have noticed in the device manager:
>
> There are "Packet Scheduler Miniport" Listings that only
> show up if I show the hidden items in the device
> manager. The actual hardware listing is gone, but these
> listing still remain. I believe this is a symptom of
> whatever the problem is.
>
> I have used the linksys install utility that you are not
> supposed to use on XP, in an attempt to get around the
> problem with it not recognizing the drivers for the
> hardware, but it installed a WLAN monitor and the driver
> independant of the actual hardware - the hardware would
> still be listed as unknown.
>
> I have only tried one wireless adapter at a time, and I
> have also tried switching PCI slots and USB ports
> depending on which adapter I'm trying to use.
>
> I have uninstalled the WLAN monitor, as XP does not need
> it. However, There are the several listing of the packet
> scheduler miniports left in device manager, which lead me
> to believe that there are files left behind or registry
> entries somewhere I need to remove.
>
> I am using the most recent and the correct drivers, and
> the devices work properly on my other machines. I have
> tried the whole rebooting/uninstalling the hardware on
> the list, ETC, but it all ends in the same problem.
>
> When I attempt to uninstall the packet scheduler
> miniports, I recieve the following error message:
>
> ---------------------------
> Device Manager
> ---------------------------
> Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be
> required to boot up the computer.
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
>
> I have attempted to disable these listings, and uninstall
> on the next boot or in safe mode, but this also fails.
>
> Thank You again in advance for your help, and I hope to
> hear from you all soon! Please if you do not know the
> solution, please forward me to a place that would hold
> the answers, or a place I should be posting in that I
> would probably get an answer from.
>
> THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
>
> Benjamin

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 3:56:56 PM

I see all of those miniports and I can remove them by right clicking on
them and uninstalling them. I also have the packet scheduler miniport.
These are all supposed to be there for a WAN connection. You can just
remove everything under that section and reboot. Now I'm not entirely
sure what you want to achieve.

----
Nathan McNulty

Benjamin wrote:
> Thank You very much for this next step - I would be very
> grateful if you knew how to get rid of the miniports. If
> you go in to device manager and "Show Hiddn Devices" or
> whatever, you will probably also see the miniports listed
> under network adapters.
>
> I hope this helps you assist me further...

July 27, 2004 10:58:38 PM

System restore was disabled on the computer involved.

All windows updates have already been completed.

Is there a method of removing the incorrect files?

July 27, 2004 11:00:54 PM

When I try to uninstall these items from device manager,
it gives me the error "may be required to boot" which is
listed at the end of my first post. I just want to get
these things off the device manager because i think they
are interfering with the installation of the devices.

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:58:42 AM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:58:38 -0700, "Benjamin"
<dragonswork@hotmail.com> wrote:

>System restore was disabled on the computer involved.
>
>All windows updates have already been completed.
>
>Is there a method of removing the incorrect files?

Run SFC.

But I think Linksys is correct...you have an OS problem.

Re-install XP.

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?
A golden retriever.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:42:26 AM

Have you tried removing them in Safe Mode? Also, I really don't think
they will affect the installation of new devices as they will simply be
overwritten.

I would just do a repair operation. Boot off your XP CD, choose Install,
setup will find your current XP Installation and offer to repair it,
type R to repair, and hope that fixes it ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Benjamin wrote:
> When I try to uninstall these items from device manager,
> it gives me the error "may be required to boot" which is
> listed at the end of my first post. I just want to get
> these things off the device manager because i think they
> are interfering with the installation of the devices.

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 6:07:03 PM

Did you ever get this to work? I'm having a problem with my WUSB11 v2.6 that
is similar.

Since you are unable to uninstall the drivers, why not just remove (or
rename) the driver files, then when you reboot they won't be found and will
not run. To find out the driver's file name, go into the device manager, and
right click on the device, then click on the "Properties" menu item. The
properties box will pop up, then click on the driver tab, then on the "Driver
details" button. Another box should pop up with the path and file name of the
driver.

Craig