My DVD/CD (drive D) on my system will not autorun when I
place a CD in it. When I click on the drive in My
Computer, it says 'write these files to the CD'. I have
tried purchased music CDs and purchased game CDs but it
will not read either. Placing a blank CD in the drive
results in an error message asking me to put a blank CD
in the drive. Any suggestions?
This is in my laptop, running XP home.

Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641