canon i-860 or i-960

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 12, 2004 4:55:40 PM

I am a hobby amateur photographer ( I am using a Canon Digital Rebel),
taking family and other photos on occasions. I also do some text , like
making copies off the net etc. I currently own an Epson Photo 820, it
produces great prints but have clogging problems, it is slow with text.
I am looking at purchasing a Canon i-860 or i-960. I would appreciate any
opinions or input in comparing the Canon's to my Epson.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Frank

More about : canon 860 960

Anonymous
May 12, 2004 5:57:33 PM

The i860 will be perfect for your needs.

You will get great photos and perfect text
at very fast print speeds. Use a 24 lb or heavier
plain paper (We recommend Hammermill 28 lb
color copy paper, sold at Staples)

The i960 will marginally better in producing photos
is not as fast with text and the text is not as sharp.

We offer 3rd party options for both printers
and comp.periphs.printers readers get a
5% discount on orders of $100.00 or more
when they use coupon code: CPPFORUM
Customer Service ( customer.service@weink.com )
WeInk, LLC
http://www.weink.com
Beat the high cost of printing with
Camel Continuous Re-Inking System
_____________________________
"J. Frank Freeman" <frank@airedalebreeders.com> wrote in message
> I am a hobby amateur photographer ( I am using a Canon Digital Rebel),
> taking family and other photos on occasions. I also do some text , like
> making copies off the net etc. I currently own an Epson Photo 820, it
> produces great prints but have clogging problems, it is slow with text.
> I am looking at purchasing a Canon i-860 or i-960. I would appreciate any
> opinions or input in comparing the Canon's to my Epson.
> Thanks in advance for any feedback.
> Frank

Anonymous
May 12, 2004 7:46:49 PM

On Wed, 12 May 2004 12:55:40 -0400, "J. Frank Freeman"
<frank@airedalebreeders.com> wrote:

>I am a hobby amateur photographer ( I am using a Canon Digital Rebel),
>taking family and other photos on occasions. I also do some text , like
>making copies off the net etc. I currently own an Epson Photo 820, it
>produces great prints but have clogging problems, it is slow with text.
>I am looking at purchasing a Canon i-860 or i-960. I would appreciate any
>opinions or input in comparing the Canon's to my Epson.
>Thanks in advance for any feedback.
>Frank

Well, Considering the text you do, I would lean toward the I960
myself. I just think that the photos would be of utmost importance to
you.

Now, I own the 850 and the 960.. Honestly, People say the 960 has
degraded text as compared to the 850. I think thats not the case. I
find the text to be just as good as compared to the 850 side by side
with a 10x lupe. Granted, I never used it past standard mode on either
printer and the 960 does not let you go past standard mode unless you
select high resolution paper or a custom print setting.

Yes printing text on the 960 is a bit slower but I am not printing
manuals on it either. I use my 850 for that if needed and I printed
many 500 page manuals on it as well.

In my opinion, I feel the text is equal on both for what I use. Use
good inkjet paper such as hammermill and If you can wait just 3
seconds longer per black text page than the 850 then the 960 is the
way to go. You can also print in draft mode which is much faster and
just as good in my eyes.

As I mentioned earlier, I own the 850 for one year now and I just got
the 960 and text comparison was my first task. I am more than
satisfied. Dont let text be the deciding factor. Family photos are
more important.

This is strictly my experience and opinion.
Related resources
May 12, 2004 10:54:44 PM

WeInk wrote:

>The i960 will marginally better in producing photos

It produces smoother prints, especially skin tones. Granted the photos
are not dramatically better, but it is noticeable to a critical viewer.

>is not as fast with text and the text is not as sharp.

I've read the text is not sharp several times now, but it's just not
true. The text quality is just as sharp as any other inkjet printer. The
only time it looks bad is if it's printed on uncoated copy paper and the
ink bleeds too much.

As long as the paper is coated, it prints great. And I don't mean
specialized inkjet paper either, just regular "multi-purpose" copy paper
is coated and good enough.

As for speed, it may be slower, but we're talking a few seconds per
page. For typical use it's just fine.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 1:27:35 PM

<< From: "J. Frank Freeman" frank@airedalebreeders.com
Date: Wed, May 12, 2004 11:55 AM

I am a hobby amateur photographer ( I am using a Canon Digital Rebel),
taking family and other photos on occasions. I also do some text , like
making copies off the net etc. I currently own an Epson Photo 820, it
produces great prints but have clogging problems, it is slow with text.
I am looking at purchasing a Canon i-860 or i-960. I would appreciate any
opinions or input in comparing the Canon's to my Epson.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Frank

Get the i960. Not only does it have 6 colors but it is also very fast. The i860
but anyone who has sprung for a Digital rebel should spring for the i960.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 1:27:48 PM

You spent a lot of money on a very good camera, why wouldn't you get
the printer that will give the best photo results? Go with the i960

"J. Frank Freeman" <frank@airedalebreeders.com> wrote in message
> I am a hobby amateur photographer ( I am using a Canon Digital
Rebel),
> taking family and other photos on occasions. I also do some text ,
like
> making copies off the net etc. I currently own an Epson Photo 820,
it
> produces great prints but have clogging problems, it is slow with
text.
> I am looking at purchasing a Canon i-860 or i-960. I would
appreciate any
> opinions or input in comparing the Canon's to my Epson.
> Thanks in advance for any feedback.
> Frank

Anonymous
May 13, 2004 2:35:42 PM

J. Frank Freeman wrote:

> I am a hobby amateur photographer ( I am using a Canon Digital Rebel),
> taking family and other photos on occasions. I also do some text , like
> making copies off the net etc. I currently own an Epson Photo 820, it
> produces great prints but have clogging problems, it is slow with text.
> I am looking at purchasing a Canon i-860 or i-960. I would appreciate any
> opinions or input in comparing the Canon's to my Epson.
> Thanks in advance for any feedback.
> Frank

You're going to have to use your judgment on which best suits your use pattern.

The I860 has a dedicated pigmented blk cart for text printing and is very fast.
Uses 3 color plus dye based photo black for photo printing. For many/most,
the prints are more than exceptable.

The I960 uses 6 color cart and no pigmented blk for text. Blk for text is a
mixture of color. Photo's are somewhat better and improvement can be noticed by
critical viewers. Reviews I've read said for text printing, the I960 doesn't
perform as well as the I860.

I recently replaced an HP 970 with the Canon I860 and I'm very pleased with it's
performance. Most of my printing is text but did want VG color for photo's and
I've not been disappointed.

Mickey
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 3:10:15 PM

I have the i960, but as my second printer. My primary for text and such is
a HP 970 with the duplex attachment. Though this slows printing down some
it conserves paper and is quite suitable for manuals and such. Does
anybody have experience with the duplexer for the i960 (et al), if it is
satisfactory I might consider junking my HP and going all Canon?.
Doug.

"FredBillie" <fredbillie@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> Get the i960. Not only does it have 6 colors but it is also very fast. The
i860
> but anyone who has sprung for a Digital rebel should spring for the i960.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 3:10:16 PM

Doug

Similar configuatration but use a HP 6110 MFC and have only printed photos
on the Canon i960 and all my other printing on the HP

cannot respond to your 'duplexer' question

:
: "FredBillie" <fredbillie@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
: news:20040513052735.09334.00000409@mb-m01.aol.com...
: > Get the i960. Not only does it have 6 colors but it is also very fast.
The
: i860
: > but anyone who has sprung for a Digital rebel should spring for the
i960.
:
:
May 13, 2004 8:01:09 PM

"Desert Heat" <hotmail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Doug
>
> Similar configuatration but use a HP 6110 MFC and have only printed
photos
> on the Canon i960 and all my other printing on the HP
>
> cannot respond to your 'duplexer' question
>

> "Doug Cutler" <dougcutler@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> : I have the i960, but as my second printer. My primary for text and such
> is
> : a HP 970 with the duplex attachment. Though this slows printing down
some
> : it conserves paper and is quite suitable for manuals and such. Does
> : anybody have experience with the duplexer for the i960 (et al), if it is
> : satisfactory I might consider junking my HP and going all Canon?.
> : Doug.
> :
> : "FredBillie" <fredbillie@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> : news:20040513052735.09334.00000409@mb-m01.aol.com...
> : > Get the i960. Not only does it have 6 colors but it is also very fast.
> The
> : i860
> : > but anyone who has sprung for a Digital rebel should spring for the
> i960.

Get a laser printer for text. The Konica Minolta is only $100 and get the
best ink jet just for photos.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 10:51:15 PM

"J. Frank Freeman" <frank@airedalebreeders.com> wrote in message
>I am a hobby amateur photographer ( I am using a Canon Digital Rebel),
> taking family and other photos on occasions. I also do some text , like
> making copies off the net etc. I currently own an Epson Photo 820, it
> produces great prints but have clogging problems, it is slow with text.
> I am looking at purchasing a Canon i-860 or i-960. I would appreciate any
> opinions or input in comparing the Canon's to my Epson.
> Thanks in advance for any feedback.
> Frank

The i860 is soon to be replaced by the Canon Pixima iP4000. Check out this
review for some awesome details.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip400... Worth the
wait in my opinion.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 11:56:28 PM

"Rick Johanson" <jesusmailhellion@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "J. Frank Freeman" <frank@airedalebreeders.com> wrote in message
> >I am a hobby amateur photographer ( I am using a Canon Digital Rebel),
> > taking family and other photos on occasions. I also do some text , like
> > making copies off the net etc. I currently own an Epson Photo 820, it
> > produces great prints but have clogging problems, it is slow with text.
> > I am looking at purchasing a Canon i-860 or i-960. I would appreciate
any
> > opinions or input in comparing the Canon's to my Epson.
> > Thanks in advance for any feedback.
> > Frank
> >

> The i860 is soon to be replaced by the Canon Pixima iP4000. Check out
this
> review for some awesome details.
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip400... Worth the
> wait in my opinion.

The iP4000 is already available (in the U.S.) and in fact Office Depot has a
$20 rebate until 8/28.
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:21:27 AM

> "Rick Johanson" <jesusmailhellion@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> The i860 is soon to be replaced by the Canon Pixima iP4000. Check out
> this
>> review for some awesome details.
>> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip400... Worth the
>> wait in my opinion.
>>

> The iP4000 is already available (in the U.S.) and in fact Office Depot has
> $20 rebate until 8/28.

Sweet! Anyone have any news what will be replacing the i960?
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 12:42:30 AM

Rick Johanson wrote:
> "J. Frank Freeman" <frank@airedalebreeders.com> wrote in message
>
>>I am a hobby amateur photographer ( I am using a Canon Digital Rebel),
>>taking family and other photos on occasions. I also do some text , like
>>making copies off the net etc. I currently own an Epson Photo 820, it
>>produces great prints but have clogging problems, it is slow with text.
>>I am looking at purchasing a Canon i-860 or i-960. I would appreciate any
>>opinions or input in comparing the Canon's to my Epson.
>>Thanks in advance for any feedback.
>>Frank
>>

> The i860 is soon to be replaced by the Canon Pixima iP4000.

That would explain the i860's sudden $50 (Canadian) drop in price this
week at Future Shop, selling for $149. Dang, I paid $199 just last
month! And even more - $229 for the i850, a year and a half ago.

Thank God, printers are more affordable today. 8 years ago I paid the
unthinkable sum of $444 CDN (with taxes) for an Epson 500, a printer not
even equivalent to today's $49 printers!

> Check out this review for some awesome details.
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip400...
> Worth the wait in my opinion.

I checked it out; very impressive and nice looking too. I like it.

-Taliesyn
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 9:47:32 PM

Rick Johanson wrote:
> "J. Frank Freeman" <frank@airedalebreeders.com> wrote in message
>
>>I am a hobby amateur photographer ( I am using a Canon Digital Rebel),
>>taking family and other photos on occasions. I also do some text , like
>>making copies off the net etc. I currently own an Epson Photo 820, it
>>produces great prints but have clogging problems, it is slow with text.
>>I am looking at purchasing a Canon i-860 or i-960. I would appreciate any
>>opinions or input in comparing the Canon's to my Epson.
>>Thanks in advance for any feedback.
>>Frank

If you have a digital rebel I would go with a true photo printer, the
i960. It still does great text (although a little slow) and with six
colors and 3072 nozzles it makes fast unbeatable photos.
!