Wireless vs. LAN cable home networking

Hi-

I've got my home wireless network working now, including being able to print
from my laptop to a printer connected to my desktop (with both machines
connected wirelessly through a router). There are a number of reasons why
this wireless setup is superior, for my use, to a physical connection to the
desktop with a LAN cable.

However, there are some things I'd like to do through the desktop that would
probably go much faster using a LAN connection. Can I set up a second
network that lets me connect my laptop directly to the desktop using a LAN
cable? Do I need any special accessories or software to do this? In
particular, the desktop HD is much larger than the laptop and I like to
backup files onto the desktop (say 5 to 10 GB worth). Am I correct in
thinking this would move much faster over the LAN than wirelessly?

Thanks for any help.

Kelley
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless cable home networking

    personallky, i found the whole system to be alot faster when i changed to
    wireless from a lan.
    however, i concur with your thoughts of a cat5 lan would be faster for file
    transfer.
    if you have a spare pair of nic sockets then set another net up for file
    transfer, the set up should be very easy.

    mike

    "ABC" <kdstrawn@wisc.edu> wrote in message
    > Hi-
    >
    > I've got my home wireless network working now, including being able to
    print
    > from my laptop to a printer connected to my desktop (with both machines
    > connected wirelessly through a router). There are a number of reasons why
    > this wireless setup is superior, for my use, to a physical connection to
    the
    > desktop with a LAN cable.
    >
    > However, there are some things I'd like to do through the desktop that
    would
    > probably go much faster using a LAN connection. Can I set up a second
    > network that lets me connect my laptop directly to the desktop using a
    LAN
    > cable? Do I need any special accessories or software to do this? In
    > particular, the desktop HD is much larger than the laptop and I like to
    > backup files onto the desktop (say 5 to 10 GB worth). Am I correct in
    > thinking this would move much faster over the LAN than wirelessly?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Kelley

    This would be much faster as you will be connecting at 100mps (Assuming you
    have a recent network card in both) What you need is a CROSSOVER cable, this
    will eliminate the need for another hub.

    "ABC" wrote:

    > Hi-
    >
    > I've got my home wireless network working now, including being able to print
    > from my laptop to a printer connected to my desktop (with both machines
    > connected wirelessly through a router). There are a number of reasons why
    > this wireless setup is superior, for my use, to a physical connection to the
    > desktop with a LAN cable.
    >
    > However, there are some things I'd like to do through the desktop that would
    > probably go much faster using a LAN connection. Can I set up a second
    > network that lets me connect my laptop directly to the desktop using a LAN
    > cable? Do I need any special accessories or software to do this? In
    > particular, the desktop HD is much larger than the laptop and I like to
    > backup files onto the desktop (say 5 to 10 GB worth). Am I correct in
    > thinking this would move much faster over the LAN than wirelessly?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Kelley

Wireless LAN Desktops Networking Wireless Networking