Help with SATA Raid setup on K8N

First time setting up raid and I have done some research but I am getting
too confused.
Can someone give me simple, sweet directions?
Or know a good site that will help me with this exactly?
I have:

ASUS K8N with AMD64 2800
2 SATA 80 GB identical drives
WinXP SP2 Disk + ASUS Nforce 3 driver disk
(All the extra components too...)

I want: SATA raid array data stripping running WinXP (Raid-0?)
Hard drives and WinXP are not installed yet...

ThankS!
GBS

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

double check you have the drives plugged in to the required controller.
make a floppy SATA Raid drivers diskette as per instructions in the manual.
Configure the controller for raid in the bios.
Make sure you have boot order set to CD, then RAID (SCSI on some systems) -
check the manual.
save, reboot, go into the controller's own bios to create the raid config.

You might not see the disc drives in the bios until you reboot after setting
the controller into RAID mode. Depends on the bios, controller...

You should be able to go back into the raid bios to see / check the setup.

Boot off the XP SP2 (streanlined?) CD and as soon as the prompt to press F6
comes up, press it, read the instructions, feed in the raid drivers and
visually check they are loaded. Leave the floppy in the drive as it is read
twice.

If the drivers are loadedyou will see the raid volume created above as an
install location, if not then... post back, check everything.

One of the files on the raid drivers disc is normally hidden - if you have
any of the hide OS system files setttings on when you create the driver
disc, you may leave out thehidden files.

Are you really sure you want raid 0? 1 disc failure and your whole system
goes with it. Raid 1 is very much safer and not much slower - if at all.
This does depend on how you use the system.

"Mercury" <me@spam.com> wrote in message
> double check you have the drives plugged in to the required controller.
> make a floppy SATA Raid drivers diskette as per instructions in the
manual.
> Configure the controller for raid in the bios.
> Make sure you have boot order set to CD, then RAID (SCSI on some
systems) -
> check the manual.
> save, reboot, go into the controller's own bios to create the raid config.
>
> You might not see the disc drives in the bios until you reboot after
setting
> the controller into RAID mode. Depends on the bios, controller...
>
> You should be able to go back into the raid bios to see / check the setup.
>
> Boot off the XP SP2 (streanlined?) CD and as soon as the prompt to press
F6
> comes up, press it, read the instructions, feed in the raid drivers and
> visually check they are loaded. Leave the floppy in the drive as it is
read
> twice.
>
> If the drivers are loadedyou will see the raid volume created above as an
> install location, if not then... post back, check everything.
>
> One of the files on the raid drivers disc is normally hidden - if you have
> any of the hide OS system files setttings on when you create the driver
> disc, you may leave out thehidden files.
>
> Are you really sure you want raid 0? 1 disc failure and your whole system
> goes with it. Raid 1 is very much safer and not much slower - if at all.
> This does depend on how you use the system.

This was exactly the kind of info I wanted! Thank you!
I am waiting for 1 drive from Newegg so as soon as I get it all done, I will
post here...
This is going to be a strictly gamer PC, thats why I am trying Raid-0.
Is there not a performance boost with raid-0 vs. Raid-1 in gaming or is this
mostly for video editing?

GBS