Missing standard modem drivers

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My XP had a problem...I got a blue screen flashing by as
it repeatedly attempted to restart. It seemed that it
could not "see" the HD. I used my OS CD and "repaired"
my system without having to reformat the disk. Anyway,
after that, I had to re-download all the security patches
for IE and I discovered that the hardware modem
(Cognizant) is still listed in the system and works, but
the "Standard 19200 bps modem" that I had been using with
my Verizon cell phone connections was gone (and the DUN
connections now just list the 56k Cognizant instead of
the Standard 19200 bps modem that used to be listed among
my modems). I went to the Add Hardware and Modem
selection to simply re-add it, but there was nothing to
select from except the 2 choices to connect computers via
cables. I don't understand what happened, as I used to
have the entire XP list of modems. How can I get
my "Standard 19200 bps modem" back into the system so I
can again use my cell phone? I have all my XP disks, but
can't figure out what to do. Please someone help me!
Thanks!

Do you have two modems in the computer? And why are you using a 19200
bps modem if you have a 56k modem? Try Start-Control Panel-Phone and
Modem Options-Modems-Add..

See if you can do it from there.

----
Nathan McNulty

Brad wrote:
> My XP had a problem...I got a blue screen flashing by as
> it repeatedly attempted to restart. It seemed that it
> could not "see" the HD. I used my OS CD and "repaired"
> my system without having to reformat the disk. Anyway,
> after that, I had to re-download all the security patches
> for IE and I discovered that the hardware modem
> (Cognizant) is still listed in the system and works, but
> the "Standard 19200 bps modem" that I had been using with
> my Verizon cell phone connections was gone (and the DUN
> connections now just list the 56k Cognizant instead of
> the Standard 19200 bps modem that used to be listed among
> my modems). I went to the Add Hardware and Modem
> selection to simply re-add it, but there was nothing to
> select from except the 2 choices to connect computers via
> cables. I don't understand what happened, as I used to
> have the entire XP list of modems. How can I get
> my "Standard 19200 bps modem" back into the system so I
> can again use my cell phone? I have all my XP disks, but
> can't figure out what to do. Please someone help me!
> Thanks!

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Please re-read below. There are NO modems showing in the
Add list. THAT is the problem. Verizon Cell Phones use
a USB to phone cable and allow a 14,400kb connection
while connected to the cell phone. The cell phone
becomes the modem and uses the "Standard 19200 BPS Modem"
driver that comes with XP (No, Verizon doesn't have Modem
drivers). Very useful when on the road travelling. I
use the 56k when I am home and have a real phone line to
connect to.

I just need to get XP to allow me to do exactly what you
suggest...but there are no choices there at all.