System running slow--PRIMARY & 2ndARY MASTER/SLAVE

Hello this is Rahul Ghosh from Kolkata(India).
since last few weeks i.e. ever since i've installed
another harddisk-40GB with the existing previous 20GB, my
system has become a bit slower(taking more time to boot)..
I also have got 2 CD dirves installed in that system & I'm
running win-ME with win-XP as dual boot..
Whats the reason that my system has become slower than
before & whats the remedy to make it as fast as it was
earlier(ie. before installing the 40GB harddisk)???
Also I've noticed that working on one drive is
automatically consuming 40kb,80kb,120kb and likewise space
on other drives on subsequent booting(details given at the
bottom last ).. why is this so happening & how can it be
prevented???

Is it because that I'm having 2 harddisks connected as
primary master and primary slave and 2 CD drives connected
as secondary master and secondary slave ???
what is the generalised/correct rule of connection for
better functioning/result of the system if somebody has 2
harddisks and 2 CD drives in his system??? I mean to say
how should one connect the 2 harddisks & 2 CD drives with
the motherboard IDE ports in terms of primary & secondary
master/slave???

Details: My 20GB HD has got 3 partitions-C:, E:, F: and
the 40GB HD has got 3 partitions-D:, G:, H: ...
I'm having 2 operating systems as dual boot--win-ME is
installed on C: and win-XP is installed on D: ....
Now when i'm working on say E: or F: while using win-XP,
then it is found to automatically consume say 40kb or 80kb
diskspace on G: or H: when restarted in win-ME and vice
versa.. And this consumption of diskspace is getting
increased automatically on such activities after few
rebooting...
why is this so happening and what should be done to
prevent this and make the system work smooth & fast???
PLEASE HELP ...

Regards.
Rahul Ghosh..

Are both drive the same RPM?

It will take more time to dual boot than to boot from a
single drive with one OS.
Windows XP will assign system restore and so does ME. Cache
files, temp files and such are created during the boot
process so the system can track the booting process.

If the boot process is only just a bit slower, say 90
seconds instead of 50, it may just be a normal part of the
more complicated process of booting from two drives with two
OS.

"RAHUL GHOSH" <rahul_deb2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Hello this is Rahul Ghosh from Kolkata(India).
| since last few weeks i.e. ever since i've installed
| another harddisk-40GB with the existing previous 20GB, my
| system has become a bit slower(taking more time to boot)..
| I also have got 2 CD dirves installed in that system & I'm
| running win-ME with win-XP as dual boot..
| Whats the reason that my system has become slower than
| before & whats the remedy to make it as fast as it was
| earlier(ie. before installing the 40GB harddisk)???
| Also I've noticed that working on one drive is
| automatically consuming 40kb,80kb,120kb and likewise space
| on other drives on subsequent booting(details given at the
| bottom last ).. why is this so happening & how can it be
| prevented???
|
| Is it because that I'm having 2 harddisks connected as
| primary master and primary slave and 2 CD drives connected
| as secondary master and secondary slave ???
| what is the generalised/correct rule of connection for
| better functioning/result of the system if somebody has 2
| harddisks and 2 CD drives in his system??? I mean to say
| how should one connect the 2 harddisks & 2 CD drives with
| the motherboard IDE ports in terms of primary & secondary
| master/slave???
|
| Details: My 20GB HD has got 3 partitions-C:, E:, F: and
| the 40GB HD has got 3 partitions-D:, G:, H: ...
| I'm having 2 operating systems as dual boot--win-ME is
| installed on C: and win-XP is installed on D: ....
| Now when i'm working on say E: or F: while using win-XP,
| then it is found to automatically consume say 40kb or 80kb
| diskspace on G: or H: when restarted in win-ME and vice
| versa.. And this consumption of diskspace is getting
| increased automatically on such activities after few
| rebooting...
| why is this so happening and what should be done to
| prevent this and make the system work smooth & fast???
| PLEASE HELP ...
|
| Regards.
| Rahul Ghosh..

The drives' RPM may not be same, i'm not very sure...but
how does it affect the system boot time if RPM of both
drives are dissimilar?? Because if u r using 2 different
frequencies RAMs in 2 different slots ie. if the 2 RAMs
doesn't match, then the system will not boot..Similarly if
the drives' RPM are not similar then how will it affect
the system--will it ever boot???
Finally please tell me the correct rule to connect the
HDDs & CD drives with the IDE port of the motherboard in
terms of primary & secondary master/slave ...I mean to say
how should one connect the 2 harddisks & 2 CD drives with
the IDE ports of motherboard in terms of primary &
secondary master/slave??? whether the HDDs should be
connected as primary master & 2ndary master or as primary
master & primary slave???
Regards,
Rahul...

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Personally I would configure the drives as cable select (usually denoted by
a link in the CS position on the drive) then connect them to the Primary
channel to be used as master & slave. Do the same with the CD and/or DVD on
the secondary channel.
Not sure the RPM of the drives will have any effect on the boot time other
than the faster RPM will be better as the system drive, mixing doesn't
matter.............
Mixing system memory will only affect the machine if the FSB requires 133Mhz
to run at a given speed and you mix a 133 module with a 100 module.

I think that's right, no doubt someone will correct me if not.

Neil
> The drives' RPM may not be same, i'm not very sure...but
> how does it affect the system boot time if RPM of both
> drives are dissimilar?? Because if u r using 2 different
> frequencies RAMs in 2 different slots ie. if the 2 RAMs
> doesn't match, then the system will not boot..Similarly if
> the drives' RPM are not similar then how will it affect
> the system--will it ever boot???
> Finally please tell me the correct rule to connect the
> HDDs & CD drives with the IDE port of the motherboard in
> terms of primary & secondary master/slave ...I mean to say
> how should one connect the 2 harddisks & 2 CD drives with
> the IDE ports of motherboard in terms of primary &
> secondary master/slave??? whether the HDDs should be
> connected as primary master & 2ndary master or as primary
> master & primary slave???
> Regards,
> Rahul...

I use an ATA133 HD and an ATA100 HD on the same cable on two different
machines. No problems. The motherboards are new enough to run the
different drives in different modes. Some RAM on some motherboards you
can get away with some mix and match, some you can't or can't past
certain limits. If you do mix, the motherboard will usually slow all
the RAM to the slowest setting.