Any Brave Soul Willing to help me get Win-XP PRO (SP2 incl..

HELP PLEASE,

I've tried about everything I can think of but the install program copies
files to about 75% - 85% and then starts claiming
that it cannot read such and such a file. Interestingly these files are in
alphabetical order usually starting somewhere around
the "n" to "p" range...

I kind of have a feeling that it may be something to do with the fact that I
want to boot from the Silicon Image RAID controller
which has two 250GB drives configured in a striped set. Programs like
Partition Magic are able to handle this enormous drive
correctly (although no single partition exceeds about 150GB).

I've also tried installing earlier versions of Win-XP PRO (like SP1a, and
SP1); they all exhibit the same bizarre symptoms. And yes,
I am using (F6) to install the latest driver from the ASUS site: "SiI3x 12A
SATA RAID driver" version 1.0.0.50; in addition I've
also tried the driver from the support disk (version 1.0.0.32) as well as
the one from Silicon Image's website (version 1.0.0.51).
The board has the latest BIOS and I've got it configured for the "SAFE
SETTINGS" as opposed to the "PERFORMANCE
SETTINGS."

Also helpful would be if anyone has some diagnostic programs that may
uncover memory timing problems, bus deadlock, or other
nasties (once the install disk claims it cannot read certain files, I
noticed that the activity light does not come on again indicating that
it does not even try to re-read the file.

Thanks in advance,

- Gordon

*** To e-mail me, please remove the "NOSPAM." and "666" from the reply
address ***
10 answers Last reply
More about brave soul incl

    "G.L. Cross" <gordoncross6663@NOSPAM.charter.net> wrote in
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:

    > Also helpful would be if anyone has some diagnostic programs that may
    > uncover memory timing problems, bus deadlock, or other
    > nasties (once the install disk claims it cannot read certain files, I
    > noticed that the activity light does not come on again indicating that
    > it does not even try to re-read the file.

    I have encountered the same problems once and it was a defect memory
    module.

    http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

    is a free software tester used from a self-bootable floppy. Maybe give
    it a try.

    --
    CeeBee

    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."

    G.L. Cross wrote:

    > HELP PLEASE,
    >
    > I've tried about everything I can think of but the install program copies
    > files to about 75% - 85% and then starts claiming
    > that it cannot read such and such a file. Interestingly these files are in
    > alphabetical order usually starting somewhere around
    > the "n" to "p" range...
    >
    > I kind of have a feeling that it may be something to do with the fact that I
    > want to boot from the Silicon Image RAID controller
    > which has two 250GB drives configured in a striped set. Programs like
    > Partition Magic are able to handle this enormous drive
    > correctly (although no single partition exceeds about 150GB).
    >
    > I've also tried installing earlier versions of Win-XP PRO (like SP1a, and
    > SP1); they all exhibit the same bizarre symptoms. And yes,
    > I am using (F6) to install the latest driver from the ASUS site: "SiI3x 12A
    > SATA RAID driver" version 1.0.0.50; in addition I've
    > also tried the driver from the support disk (version 1.0.0.32) as well as
    > the one from Silicon Image's website (version 1.0.0.51).
    > The board has the latest BIOS and I've got it configured for the "SAFE
    > SETTINGS" as opposed to the "PERFORMANCE
    > SETTINGS."

    Have you tried copying the CD to a hard drive and installing from there?
    That is what Microsoft told me to do when I had a similar problem
    installing Windows XP when it first came out.

    G.L. Cross wrote:
    > HELP PLEASE,
    >
    > I've tried about everything I can think of but the install program
    > copies files to about 75% - 85% and then starts claiming
    > that it cannot read such and such a file. Interestingly these files
    > are in alphabetical order usually starting somewhere around
    > the "n" to "p" range...
    >
    > I kind of have a feeling that it may be something to do with the fact
    > that I want to boot from the Silicon Image RAID controller
    > which has two 250GB drives configured in a striped set. Programs like
    > Partition Magic are able to handle this enormous drive
    > correctly (although no single partition exceeds about 150GB).
    >
    > I've also tried installing earlier versions of Win-XP PRO (like SP1a,
    > and SP1); they all exhibit the same bizarre symptoms. And yes,
    > I am using (F6) to install the latest driver from the ASUS site:
    > "SiI3x 12A SATA RAID driver" version 1.0.0.50; in addition I've
    > also tried the driver from the support disk (version 1.0.0.32) as
    > well as the one from Silicon Image's website (version 1.0.0.51).
    > The board has the latest BIOS and I've got it configured for the "SAFE
    > SETTINGS" as opposed to the "PERFORMANCE
    > SETTINGS."
    >
    > Also helpful would be if anyone has some diagnostic programs that may
    > uncover memory timing problems, bus deadlock, or other
    > nasties (once the install disk claims it cannot read certain files, I
    > noticed that the activity light does not come on again indicating that
    > it does not even try to re-read the file.
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > - Gordon
    >

    > *** To e-mail me, please remove the "NOSPAM." and "666" from the reply
    > address ***

    Like has already been said it may be a memory problem as i've had the same
    kind of thing before.
    To get round it underclock your system in the bios and install it,if it does
    install ok then you probably have a dodgy stick of ram.

    "John" <john@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > G.L. Cross wrote:
    > > HELP PLEASE,
    > >
    > > I've tried about everything I can think of but the install program
    > > copies files to about 75% - 85% and then starts claiming
    > > that it cannot read such and such a file. Interestingly these files
    > > are in alphabetical order usually starting somewhere around
    > > the "n" to "p" range...
    > >
    > > I kind of have a feeling that it may be something to do with the fact
    > > that I want to boot from the Silicon Image RAID controller
    > > which has two 250GB drives configured in a striped set. Programs like
    > > Partition Magic are able to handle this enormous drive
    > > correctly (although no single partition exceeds about 150GB).
    > >
    > > I've also tried installing earlier versions of Win-XP PRO (like SP1a,
    > > and SP1); they all exhibit the same bizarre symptoms. And yes,
    > > I am using (F6) to install the latest driver from the ASUS site:
    > > "SiI3x 12A SATA RAID driver" version 1.0.0.50; in addition I've
    > > also tried the driver from the support disk (version 1.0.0.32) as
    > > well as the one from Silicon Image's website (version 1.0.0.51).
    > > The board has the latest BIOS and I've got it configured for the "SAFE
    > > SETTINGS" as opposed to the "PERFORMANCE
    > > SETTINGS."
    > >
    > > Also helpful would be if anyone has some diagnostic programs that may
    > > uncover memory timing problems, bus deadlock, or other
    > > nasties (once the install disk claims it cannot read certain files, I
    > > noticed that the activity light does not come on again indicating that
    > > it does not even try to re-read the file.
    > >

    > > Thanks in advance,
    > >
    > > - Gordon
    > >

    > > *** To e-mail me, please remove the "NOSPAM." and "666" from the reply
    > > address ***
    >
    > Like has already been said it may be a memory problem as i've had the same
    > kind of thing before.
    > To get round it underclock your system in the bios and install it,if it
    does
    > install ok then you probably have a dodgy stick of ram.

    Yep, I also had the same problem which was also bad stick of DDR.
    Another free (and excellent) memory tester which runs from a boot
    floppy is here:
    http://www.memtest86.com/
    Leave it running for a few hours to be sure. Test #5 is usually the
    one that detects problems which the POST test misses.
    HTH
    --
    Rob

    Add me to the "Bad Memory" list.

    I tried two different flavors of Crucial ram and neither would run in
    the dual channel configuration. I put the dimms in the slots that did
    not support dual channel, and have been running fine ever since.

    Using Prime 95 as a benchmark, it looks like you loose less
    performance by choosing the "not dual channel" than if you lower the
    bus speed.

    Frank

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 04:08:43 -0600, "G.L. Cross"

    G.L. Cross wrote:
    > HELP PLEASE,
    >
    > I've tried about everything I can think of but the install program copies
    > files to about 75% - 85% and then starts claiming
    > that it cannot read such and such a file. Interestingly these files are in
    > alphabetical order usually starting somewhere around
    > the "n" to "p" range...
    >
    > I kind of have a feeling that it may be something to do with the fact that I
    > want to boot from the Silicon Image RAID controller
    > which has two 250GB drives configured in a striped set. Programs like
    > Partition Magic are able to handle this enormous drive
    > correctly (although no single partition exceeds about 150GB).
    >
    > I've also tried installing earlier versions of Win-XP PRO (like SP1a, and
    > SP1); they all exhibit the same bizarre symptoms. And yes,
    > I am using (F6) to install the latest driver from the ASUS site: "SiI3x 12A
    > SATA RAID driver" version 1.0.0.50; in addition I've
    > also tried the driver from the support disk (version 1.0.0.32) as well as
    > the one from Silicon Image's website (version 1.0.0.51).
    > The board has the latest BIOS and I've got it configured for the "SAFE
    > SETTINGS" as opposed to the "PERFORMANCE
    > SETTINGS."
    >
    > Also helpful would be if anyone has some diagnostic programs that may
    > uncover memory timing problems, bus deadlock, or other
    > nasties (once the install disk claims it cannot read certain files, I
    > noticed that the activity light does not come on again indicating that
    > it does not even try to re-read the file.
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > - Gordon
    >

    > *** To e-mail me, please remove the "NOSPAM." and "666" from the reply
    > address ***

    Try disabling caching in CMOS

    Randy wrote:

    > G.L. Cross wrote:
    >
    >> HELP PLEASE,
    >>
    >> I've tried about everything I can think of but the install program copies
    >> files to about 75% - 85% and then starts claiming
    >> that it cannot read such and such a file. Interestingly these files
    >> are in
    >> alphabetical order usually starting somewhere around
    >> the "n" to "p" range...
    >>
    >> I kind of have a feeling that it may be something to do with the fact
    >> that I
    >> want to boot from the Silicon Image RAID controller
    >> which has two 250GB drives configured in a striped set. Programs like
    >> Partition Magic are able to handle this enormous drive
    >> correctly (although no single partition exceeds about 150GB).
    >>
    >> I've also tried installing earlier versions of Win-XP PRO (like SP1a, and
    >> SP1); they all exhibit the same bizarre symptoms. And yes,
    >> I am using (F6) to install the latest driver from the ASUS site:
    >> "SiI3x 12A
    >> SATA RAID driver" version 1.0.0.50; in addition I've
    >> also tried the driver from the support disk (version 1.0.0.32) as well as
    >> the one from Silicon Image's website (version 1.0.0.51).
    >> The board has the latest BIOS and I've got it configured for the "SAFE
    >> SETTINGS" as opposed to the "PERFORMANCE
    >> SETTINGS."
    >>
    >> Also helpful would be if anyone has some diagnostic programs that may
    >> uncover memory timing problems, bus deadlock, or other
    >> nasties (once the install disk claims it cannot read certain files, I
    >> noticed that the activity light does not come on again indicating that
    >> it does not even try to re-read the file.
    >>

    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> - Gordon
    >>

    >> *** To e-mail me, please remove the "NOSPAM." and "666" from the reply
    >> address ***
    >>

    > Try disabling caching in CMOS

    That will indeed solve the problem, since both the hardware and OS will
    be obsolete well before the installation fails ;-)

    When you ask a question like this you get some really strange answers. The
    correct answer is that there is something wrong with your RAM.

    Triffid wrote:

    > Randy wrote:
    >

    >> G.L. Cross wrote:
    >>
    >>> HELP PLEASE,
    >>>
    >>> I've tried about everything I can think of but the install program
    >>> copies
    >>> files to about 75% - 85% and then starts claiming
    >>> that it cannot read such and such a file. Interestingly these files
    >>> are in
    >>> alphabetical order usually starting somewhere around
    >>> the "n" to "p" range...
    >>>
    >>> I kind of have a feeling that it may be something to do with the fact
    >>> that I
    >>> want to boot from the Silicon Image RAID controller
    >>> which has two 250GB drives configured in a striped set. Programs like
    >>> Partition Magic are able to handle this enormous drive
    >>> correctly (although no single partition exceeds about 150GB).
    >>>
    >>> I've also tried installing earlier versions of Win-XP PRO (like SP1a,
    >>> and
    >>> SP1); they all exhibit the same bizarre symptoms. And yes,
    >>> I am using (F6) to install the latest driver from the ASUS site:
    >>> "SiI3x 12A
    >>> SATA RAID driver" version 1.0.0.50; in addition I've
    >>> also tried the driver from the support disk (version 1.0.0.32) as
    >>> well as
    >>> the one from Silicon Image's website (version 1.0.0.51).
    >>> The board has the latest BIOS and I've got it configured for the "SAFE
    >>> SETTINGS" as opposed to the "PERFORMANCE
    >>> SETTINGS."
    >>>
    >>> Also helpful would be if anyone has some diagnostic programs that may
    >>> uncover memory timing problems, bus deadlock, or other
    >>> nasties (once the install disk claims it cannot read certain files, I
    >>> noticed that the activity light does not come on again indicating that
    >>> it does not even try to re-read the file.
    >>>

    >>> Thanks in advance,
    >>>
    >>> - Gordon
    >>>

    >>> *** To e-mail me, please remove the "NOSPAM." and "666" from the reply
    >>> address ***
    >>>

    >> Try disabling caching in CMOS
    >

    > That will indeed solve the problem, since both the hardware and OS will
    > be obsolete well before the installation fails ;-)

    Re-enable after installation. ;-}

    Hope this helps. I used the instructions available from this website to
    create a bootable version of XP Pro with SP2 integrated. Installs XP
    directly to SP2. Very slick. Check it out:
    http://bink.nu/Bootcd/default.htm
    RH

    "Matt" <matt@cyborg.plus.com> wrote in message
    > Are you overclocking your system at all?
    >
    > I had this problem when installing Win2000. I had forgotten that I was
    > overclockking my FSB. Turned back to default FSB and installed fine.
    >
    > Matt

Asus Motherboards