P4C800 E Deluxe SATA PATA Incompatibility?

I put a brand new Seagate 80gb SATA drive on a SATA connector and a
40gb MAxtor PATA, Win 98, on the primary IDE connector as a boot
drive. However, the system stopped booting and gave me a blue screen
saying something like the boot process was stopped to avoid data
corruption because, I think it wast, the SATA drive was incompatible
with PATA drive because of the latter's FAT32.

Has anybody ever seen anything like this, or know what the problem is?

Thanks

<Tom Bidwell> wrote in message
> I put a brand new Seagate 80gb SATA drive on a SATA connector and a
> 40gb MAxtor PATA, Win 98, on the primary IDE connector as a boot
> drive. However, the system stopped booting and gave me a blue screen
> saying something like the boot process was stopped to avoid data
> corruption because, I think it wast, the SATA drive was incompatible
> with PATA drive because of the latter's FAT32.
>
> Has anybody ever seen anything like this, or know what the problem is?

Just guessing, but disconnect the SATA drive and install the SATA IDE
drivers. Reconnect and boot.

Also, after connecting the SATA, go to the BIOS settings and make sure it's
set to boot from the PATA drive. I hear that mixing SATA and PATA can be a
headache as far as choosing the boot drive.

Finally, make sure you're on the INTEL SATA controller.

My guess would be win98 but its only a guess. For SATA to work you have to
set the bios, any jumpers(I have an A7V600 with jumpers) and load the proper
drivers both VIA and Sata Drive. Under XP you can have whatever mix you want
of formating.